Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Fear of spider in web prevents postman

spider web postman stuart robertson-reed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,370 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Postmen often have to keep an eye out for aggressive dogs while trying to make their deliveries.

But rather than a hound, it was a large spider that stopped letters being delivered to the home of Stuart Robertson-Reed.

http://www.dailymail...-10p-piece.html

Posted Image

#2    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

In defense of the postman he did write "massive spider web" not "massive spider" as the article later states. "According to Mr Roberston-Reed the 'massive spider' was the size of a 10p coin."

Where are photos of the web?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 11 October 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that large web = little or no poison and aggression in the spider.  Web making is the preferred method of catching prey in these sorts rather than biting.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 12 October 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that large web = little or no poison and aggression in the spider.  Web making is the preferred method of catching prey in these sorts rather than biting.

I don't think that is the rule of thumb. I'm no expert though. lol. I know basically every spider, bites their prey after catching it. Whether with a web or by snatching the little buggers. Black Widows make huge webs at times. Brown Recluse Spiders (which I've killed 4 this summer) are usually scavengers or on the hunt. I have yet to see them in a web. I always see them sitting and waiting or on the run. I've seen them fall from a ceiling without a string of web. I wonder... (off to search)   ehh spiders..

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

Hey, some ppl have arachniphobia.

Miss me?

#6    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 19,250 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

That's just a common garden spider...it's harmless. Honestly, I think the postman was being a bit of weenie there.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#7    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,147 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

"He was either spider-friendly and didn't want to break the web"

That was it. He didn't want to spoil all the poor Spide's hard work. We should be pleased that he was so considerate to our many-legged friends.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Any spider big enough can take a nice chunk of flesh off you.

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 12 October 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that large web = little or no poison and aggression in the spider.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it had "liitle or no poison"! :passifier:

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#10    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,370 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

If the postman had a bad case of Arachnophobia then just seeing the web I reckon was enough to put him off. As it turned out the spider was harmless and not very big, but the postman wasn't aware of that and his imagination ran wild.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users