Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are cyborg cockroaches unethical ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Neuroscientists have come under fire over the ethics of their new remote control cockroach kits.

Co-founders Greg Gage and Tim Marzullo of "Backyard Brains" raised eyebrows at a TEDx talk recently when they showcased a new piece of kit that could be implanted in to cockroaches to allow an operator to control their movement through an iPhone.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...aches-unethical

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,130 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

It's difficult to feel sorry for roaches. There are many beneficial and beautiful insects around the world, but there are also lice, fleas, tsetse flies, horse flies, house flies, mosquitos, and yes the ubiquitous cockroach. The spoilage of food they cause and the disease they spread no doubt causes much human illness. While we should not be cruel to animal life, it just seems that worry over the ethics of experimenting on insects is a bit ridiculous, most live just a few weeks and are driven purely by instinct. After all, we go through millions of lab mice and rats and they are at least "warm and fuzzy." And who knows, we may learn something in the process.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,540 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Creepy? Yes... Icky? Definitely.... Disgusting? Absolutely...   Unethical?... Maybe, depends what they do with them and where the tech goes from there...

#4    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yes very unethical, much better to smash and gas them.

#5    equus hemionus

equus hemionus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

• believe anything or not

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

This just the first step in ultimate government control. Who said the government was ethical?

Edited by equus hemionus, 12 October 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#6    EtherialNight

EtherialNight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

That sounds cruel, even though I don't love roaches they are still living beings..

#7    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Why don't people just rip the wings off flies, superglue a string leash to them and save $99?  Of course it's unethical.  Who even has to ask that question?

Edited by Twin, 12 October 2013 - 11:33 PM.

#8    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• I tried to enter my favorite quote but the data limit was breached so you get this. Pretty anti-climatic isn't it?

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

I find it strange how some people would have no qualm with gassing an entire population of these insects if they found a colony in their house.  Taking a single that that colony considers an expendable subject, placing a computer chip on its head, is more unethical than wiping their whole family, or smashing the buggers when you see them with your shoe?

#9    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

It's a roach. I gave no problem with it. Sounds like fun

#10    ash68

ash68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• It doesn't matter what you think you are,but what you think,you are
    Celsus

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Love or loathe the roach you have to respect them,they've adapted to every environmental change and been around much longer than we have so who's the smartest? For me it's unethical as are all experiments on living creatures and actually serves no purpose in its current form.

#11    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postash68, on 13 October 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Love or loathe the roach you have to respect them,they've adapted to every environmental change and been around much longer than we have so who's the smartest? For me it's unethical as are all experiments on living creatures and actually serves no purpose in its current form.
Nobody is debating their ability to survive and adapt, but intelligence had nothing to do with their ability to survive, I would gather it was sheer numbers and their resiliency.  How many mice are being used as test subjects in labs worldwide?  Do you really think that the mouse population is having a decline in population because of our testing.  Your last sentence is ridiculous.  If it weren't for using animals as test subjects we wouldn't have advanced this far in medical science.  Would you rather we use living people to test potentially dangerous drugs, treatments, and therapies?  Either way, as they say, when we are gone, the roaches will still be here.

#12    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

• The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

First roaches. Then mice. Next, horses, cats and dogs. Last, human integration.

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.

#13    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,554 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

If it eventually allows me to have a laser cannon able to shoot out of my chest, I'm good with this

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,130 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostMr. Smith, on 13 October 2013 - 06:50 PM, said:

First roaches. Then mice. Next, horses, cats and dogs. Last, human integration.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

#15    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

I don't have a problem with killing a whole colony of roaches living uninvited in my house.  But I find killing or mutilating them for entertainment unethical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users