Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How accurate is science in science fiction?

science science fiction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,637 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

New film Gravity promises to rekindle the debate over how "hard" - or accurate - science fiction should be. Should film-makers adhere to basic scientific principles, or should audiences just feel the magic instead, asks Peter Ray Allison.

The relationship between science and science fiction has always been tempestuous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-24518305

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,124 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

The relationship between REALITY and FANTASY has always been tempestuous. :P I can understand how scientists feel because I often feel the same way when Hollywood takes liberties with history. But to me, science fiction makes science more accessible to idiots like me.

Edited by Child of Bast, 14 October 2013 - 09:26 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

Also tagged with science, science fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users