Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ohio Bans Libertarians from Election

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

It’s in this environment that the Ohio State Senate has passed this bill which would essentially eliminate all third party candidates from ballots.  In the bill, only candidates from parties which earned 3% or more of the vote in a presidential election would be placed on the ballot; all other candidates would be write-in options.  Newly qualifying parties must also submit petitions with at least 55,809 valid signatures.

The bill would, in many ways, solidify the placement of the Democrat and Republican parties at the center of American politics.  Voters must look up and remember the names – something which should be simple but many people simply vote party line, and this will create a discrepancy amongst parties – and write-in candidates must apply to be counted.  Write-in votes are also counted much more slowly than others, if at all, meaning they will not be discussed in the initial analysis of election results.

In addition, many third parties choose to build support by running in small, local campaigns before progressing to expensive and challenging presidential elections, but the Ohio bill only bases its judgment on presidential elections.  Any third party candidate from a party which chooses to focus its limited time and money on winnable campaigns would be at an immediate disadvantage.

Link: http://benswann.com/...om-ohio-ballot/

Spartan max I knew this would be of interest to you since you live in Ohio, and are libertarian.....
:)

#2    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,687 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

They rushed this bill through in record time too!! it was despicable. It literally took them like four days!

Plus they introduced this bill when they heard that a Libertarian is running for governor.

Thanks for the thread, I already knew about this but at least now other people can see the corruption our two party system has :td:

Edited by spartan max2, 14 October 2013 - 11:41 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,687 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

And I forgot to add they passed to bill in order to "help third parties"

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Good lord. I'd love to see how long this last before its brought to the supreme court.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:54 PM

My goodness.  :passifier:

#6    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,213 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

Something certainly is scaring the powers that be.

#7    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 14 October 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

They rushed this bill through in record time too!! it was despicable. It literally took them like four days!

Plus they introduced this bill when they heard that a Libertarian is running for governor.

Thanks for the thread, I already knew about this but at least now other people can see the corruption our two party system has :td:

Your welcome. :)

And as a fellow Libertarian, I think it's despicable what they are doing. I hope this gets more coverage....

Our founding fathers weren't to keen on a two party system....

Washington's Farewell Address: Beware of Tools and Dupes
Link: http://tenthamendmen...s/#.UlyL8jAo5oM

Edited by Burt Gummer, 15 October 2013 - 12:29 AM.

#8    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Very troublesome. State Governments tend to represent a more diverse range of political views and parties due to a smaller electorate, and I think they are a good medium for political movements to gain traction before moving up to the Federal level. Sounds like the D's and R's are trying to legislate against the decline in their popularity and credibility.

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#9    F3SS

F3SS

FoT

• 9,800 posts

• Father of Twins
    3-16-16

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Why would they waste their time on this? Unless they're scared. Otherwise, what do they care if a small party forms to spread a message and waste their time campaigning. Seriously, why?

#10    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostBurt Gummer, on 14 October 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Link: http://benswann.com/...om-ohio-ballot/

Spartan max I knew this would be of interest to you since you live in Ohio, and are libertarian.....
:)
That is messed up....

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#11    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,508 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

Why should we be allowed to vote for a third party, when it's crystal clear the two major parties have done so well governing?

Now would anyone like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge...........?

Edited by Sundew, 15 October 2013 - 12:51 AM.

#12    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,180 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

so, basically, **** democracy - vote for Jack Johnson or John Jackson or don't bother voting.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#13    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,000 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

From the article :  "

If Ohio’s proposed law passes it will be yet another rule which helps the establishment maintain power."  

So...   has it passed?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#14    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,608 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

If this becomes law, I can't see how it will survive in any higher courts.  It's bordering on legalizing/mandating a ruling a class with no choice...

#15    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Then the next step happens when one party has the President and both houses and then declares the other party to be illegal. Happened in Germany with Hitler, all legal....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users