Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Thought experiment..

thought experiment discussion consciousness mind evolution

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,546 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 03 November 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Still you were thinking while you were feeling. Thoughts and emotions are both products of the neural net and inseperable.

Yesterday I thought to myself.. Hmmm, think I'll have a cup of tea. (I'd been on a coffee binge.)
So off to the kitchen I went, and got half way through making myself a coffee before I realized that "hey! Damn it, I wanted to make a tea."
So, a little annoyed with myself, I rinsed out the coffee and started making my tea.

That in my mind is an example of first thought failing to materialize because it lacked emotion.. & the 2nd (same thought) and resulting actions materializing because they were sponsored and supported by an emotion, all be it one of annoyance..

I know this example does sound like simple every-day absent mindedness.. But when you juggle both examples around in your head, and compared the 1'st and 2nd instances of making a drink it's easy to see what was absent in my mind when my intention initially failed..

Thoughts aren't half as powerful if they aren't supported by energy (emotion).. They just linger, meander and operate robotically..

#47    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,128 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 03 November 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Yesterday I thought to myself.. Hmmm, think I'll have a cup of tea. (I'd been on a coffee binge.)
So off to the kitchen I went, and got half way through making myself a coffee before I realized that "hey! Damn it, I wanted to make a tea."
So, a little annoyed with myself, I rinsed out the coffee and started making my tea.

That in my mind is an example of first thought failing to materialize because it lacked emotion.. & the 2nd (same thought) and resulting actions materializing because they were sponsored and supported by an emotion, all be it one of annoyance..

I know this example does sound like simple every-day absent mindedness.. But when you juggle both examples around in your head, and compared the 1'st and 2nd instances of making a drink it's easy to see what was absent in my mind when my intention initially failed..

Thoughts aren't half as powerful if they aren't supported by energy (emotion).. They just linger, meander and operate robotically..
I get what you are saying but I still maintain there is no separation. Intensity of emotion might vary but I can't see emotion not being there at all unless you are a machine or a Vulcan

Also tagged with thought experiment, discussion, consciousness, mind, evolution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users