Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earliest Documented Bigfoot sighting

bigfoot oregon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    hamellr

hamellr

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

• President of the Back in my day club

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

What is the earliest documented Bigfoot sighting you know of? I was looking through the archives of one of our local news papers and found a story about a sighting (that turned out to be a hoax,) July 15th, 1924 near Hoquiam Washington.

But the interesting part in conjunction with this story is that Native Americans of the Clallam, Lummi and Quinault tribes all talked about a race of "Hairy Indians" called the Seeahtik who were exactly as described.

You can read the entire story from the original newspaper articles here:

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

in searching the word Seeahtik the first three pages were all bigfoot related and there is no Seeahtik tribe entry on wiki

"canibalistic giants, who stole women and babies, used hypnotic powers, had superhuman strength, hairy ape-men"

I'm not a historian, but is it unusual for cultures from around the world to have some sort of superhuman giants in their legends?

Edited by QuiteContrary, 17 October 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#3    Mike G

Mike G

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

• Skeptical of the skeptics.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:24 AM

Native Americans, and long ago enough for these stories to be well entrenched in their folklore.

Posted Image

#4    Ravinoff

Ravinoff

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 17 October 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

in searching the word Seeahtik the first three pages were all bigfoot related and there is no Seeahtik tribe entry on wiki

"canibalistic giants, who stole women and babies, used hypnotic powers, had superhuman strength, hairy ape-men"

I'm not a historian, but is it unusual for cultures from around the world to have some sort of superhuman giants in their legends?

It's not uncommon in the sense that it doesn't happen, but it's rather confusing. Much like dragons, giants show up in the mythology of cultures from the British Isles to Central America. The question here is why. Discussion on it would be more suited to the ancient mysteries board than cryptozoology, but it bears examination.

#5    BettyTheYeti

BettyTheYeti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

Technically, the earliest sighting was thousands of years ago, just after the human and Sasquatch evolutionary paths split.

#6    stereologist

stereologist

Alien Abducter

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostBettyTheYeti, on 17 October 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

Technically, the earliest sighting was thousands of years ago, just after the human and Sasquatch evolutionary paths split.
Technically? BF is at best a rumor. Humans and BF share a direct common ancestor? Where on Earth did that come from?

#7    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,946 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

View Posthamellr, on 17 October 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

What is the earliest documented Bigfoot sighting you know of? I was looking through the archives of one of our local news papers and found a story about a sighting (that turned out to be a hoax,) July 15th, 1924 near Hoquiam Washington.

But the interesting part in conjunction with this story is that Native Americans of the Clallam, Lummi and Quinault tribes all talked about a race of "Hairy Indians" called the Seeahtik who were exactly as described.

You can read the entire story from the original newspaper articles here:
If I can find the article (Victoria British Colonist, I believe) there was another 'documented' encounter with a Bigfoot here in British Columbia, in the 1860's or 70's I believe.It turned out to be a hoax as well.

#8    BettyTheYeti

BettyTheYeti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

It is not a matter of whether Bigfoot is real, or how closely we are related to him. It is a question of how many are left today. With the logging industry, urban expansion and the like, Bigfoot has been pushed to the brink of extinction (hence the sightings are becoming less and less frequent).

Edited by BettyTheYeti, 17 October 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#9    stereologist

stereologist

Alien Abducter

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

It is not a matter of whether Bigfoot is real, or how closely we are related to him.
You are saying it doesn't matter whether or Bigfoot is imaginary?

You've already suggested that Bigfoot and humans shared a direct common ancestor. Now you suggest that Bigfoot might not be real.

#10    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

View PostMike G, on 17 October 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

Native Americans, and long ago enough for these stories to be well entrenched in their folklore.

Proof of this?  Or is this simply a post hoc creation of the Bigfooting comunity?

There are wildmen legends worldwide.  Every culture has them.  But is the Native American folklore truly describing Bigfoot or have those tales been twisted by Bigfooters over the past few decades to provide evidence for an historical link that simply doesn't exist?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#11    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

You haven't tried very hard. Here's one from 1811.

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/bigfoot.htm

When you sat "documented" what do you mean? If you're only talking about since the white man came to North America then that discounts the Native American culture entirely.

Also, something to consider. In many NA legends they talk about Bigfoots or creatures like them being plentiful or abundant, almost common to the point of being a nuisance. Now consider this, when the Spanish came they introduced all manner of diseases to the indigenous populations, killing many of them. Whole cultures were wiped out. Could this have done the same the the Bigfoot population? Could this be why there are so few of them now and why they stay away from humans?

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 17 October 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

You haven't tried very hard. Here's one from 1811.

http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/bigfoot.htm

When you sat "documented" what do you mean? If you're only talking about since the white man came to North America then that discounts the Native American culture entirely.

Also, something to consider. In many NA legends they talk about Bigfoots or creatures like them being plentiful or abundant, almost common to the point of being a nuisance. Now consider this, when the Spanish came they introduced all manner of diseases to the indigenous populations, killing many of them. Whole cultures were wiped out. Could this have done the same the the Bigfoot population? Could this be why there are so few of them now and why they stay away from humans?

That's not really a "sighting".  He reported some footprints in the snow.  We all know what happens to prints in snow.

Frankly, none of the stories (and that's really all they are) on that site seem any more valid than anything we hear today.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

That's what I meant when I was asking the question what he meant by "documented".

Most encounters were experienced by men who didn't read or write back in the earlier part of the occupation by the white man and were told word of mouth......which calls into question to accuracy of those stories. However, people today report finding giant footprints and everyone swoons in unbridled ecstasy over them.........but read an account from 1811 and you want to throw it out the window.

What's that all about?

Like it or not it's a report, how valid? Don't know, but this was back before all the hoopla now, so that makes it......what?.......less significant?

Edited by keninsc, 17 October 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 17 October 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

That's what I meant when I was asking the question what he meant by "documented".

Most encounters were experienced by men who didn't read or write back in the earlier part of the occupation by the white man and were told word of mouth......which calls into question to accuracy of those stories. However, people today report finding giant footprints and everyone swoons in unbridled ecstasy over them.........but read an account from 1811 and you want to throw it out the window.

What's that all about?

Like it or not it's a report, how valid? Don't know, but this was back before all the hoopla now, so that makes it......what?.......less significant?

I'm not a swooner over footprints - folks should know that by now.  Now put it in a black 5" stiletto and then I'll swoon.

Your point is well taken about the people reporting these stories.  Add to that, the desire by many back then to spin fanciful yarns - hunters, loggers, railroad types, the Old West is replete with tales from people like this.

I wouldn't say they were less significant.  They're as significant as the tales and stories from today in my opinion.

#15    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostRafterman, on 17 October 2013 - 05:20 PM, said:

I'm not a swooner over footprints - folks should know that by now.  Now put it in a black 5" stiletto and then I'll swoon.

Your point is well taken about the people reporting these stories.  Add to that, the desire by many back then to spin fanciful yarns - hunters, loggers, railroad types, the Old West is replete with tales from people like this.

I wouldn't say they were less significant.  They're as significant as the tales and stories from today in my opinion.

Are you saying bigfoot wears 5" stilettos?

Mike

Also tagged with bigfoot, oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users