Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

The abominable snowman?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

• Tests of 'Yeti hair' found to match an ancestor of the modern polar bear
  • Abominable Snowman '100 per cent match' with 120,000 year old jawbone
Scientists believe they have finally solved the mystery of the Abominable Snowman.

Its identity? Er … a big brown bear. DNA tests on supposed yeti hair samples have revealed a genetic match with an ancient polar bear.

Scientists believe there could be a sub-species of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the ancient animal.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

A BEAR? This could shut down you tube!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm still taking this all with a huge pinch of salt, those samples would have been highly contaminated before testing.

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#4    Cyaneyed

Cyaneyed

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

• Yeah, then you woke up with your head in your cornflakes.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

Ha just came here to post this same story. Also being reported here. Interesting.

"Even real sounds like a zero to a brain in lip sync"

#5    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

Now that's some yeti research I can support. Very ineteresting find!

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) Astrophysicist

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,035 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

Best line form this article is:
Prof Sykes added: “Bigfootologists and other enthusiasts seem to think that they've been rejected by science. Science doesn't accept or reject anything, all it does is examine the evidence and that is what I'm doing.”

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#7    BarnabasCollins

BarnabasCollins

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

It seems to me that this is a very exciting find.  A new subspecies of the brown bear is a very cool discovery.  The Yeti Brown Bear.

#8    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

It very well could be a bear.  When they stand upright and in the right light and weather conditions, they might look like something other than a bear.  I always had in the back of my mind the thought that they could be something like an orangutang.  No idea why.  Certainly I've never heard of an orangutang in the US, but in Asia?  Could be.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,014 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

To me the Yeti has always been more of a stretch than Bigfoot.  Where does it live?  What does it eat?  How does it hide?  How does it remain unseen?

Most folks don't realize that thousands of people make tens of thousands of attempts to climb those mountains every year.  There's a lot going on there.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostMerc14, on 17 October 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Best line form this article is:
Prof Sykes added: “Bigfootologists and other enthusiasts seem to think that they've been rejected by science. Science doesn't accept or reject anything, all it does is examine the evidence and that is what I'm doing.”

I liked this one too...

“Chemo” - another local name for the yeti, with text alongside it which was translated to read: “The yeti is a variety of bear living in inhospitable mountainous areas.”

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

bigfoot and kin mate with everybody don't they?

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#12    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,014 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 17 October 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

bigfoot and kin mate with everybody don't they?

Maybe instead of Harry, they should have named him Randy.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#13    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 17 October 2013 - 09:38 AM, said:

A BEAR? This could shut down you tube!

Nah, we still have plenty of "dragons, chupacabra, ghosts, UFOs, alien ETs, ..." it goes on and on.

Honestly though, if found to be a reputable study I'd like to know what the heck an ancient polar bear is doing up there... lol  Vacationing from the past?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,313 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

Bryan Sykes, professor of human genetics at Oxford University, set out to collect and test ‘yeti’ hair samples to find out which species they came from.

In particular he analysed hairs from two unknown animals, one found in the Western Himalayan region of Ladakh and the other from Bhutan, 800 miles to the east.

But we can speculate on what the possible explanation might be. It could mean there is a sub species of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the bear that was the ancestor of the polar bear. Or it could mean there has been more recent hybridisation between the brown bear and the descendent of the ancient polar bear.’

Professor Sykes found that he had a 100 per cent match with a sample from an ancient polar bear jawbone found in Svalbard, Norway, that dates back at least 40,000 years -

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2i0zgkuiG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So what did he get a 100 per cent match for?

a polar bear,

a sub species of brown bear,

a bear which was the ancestor to the polar bear

or the polar bear found in Norway?

because he says they are speculating on what it is.

If it is the ancient polar bear from Norway, then whats to speculate about?

Am I missing something here or does something not quite add up?

Edited by freetoroam, 17 October 2013 - 09:16 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#15    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,477 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

"Still, let’s just imagine for a second.
If it were to turn out that some Yeti reports really have recorded an otherwise unknown variety of bear, that would be an enormous discovery—and an utterly astonishing moment in the history of monster studies. It would be a moment of triumph for cryptozoology skeptics, who have said all along that Yetis are really bears; and, simultaneously, it could be a moment of triumph for cryptozoologists, who have said for decades that Yetis are an unrecognized new type of large hairy mammal. Sure, skeptics would be more right, and the folks committed to the dream of relict Gigantopithecus would be disappointed (all but inevitable in any case) but it would nonetheless be a non-zero-sum victory for all those who have ever found themselves entranced by the mystery. Cake for everyone!"                                http://www.skepticbl...day/#more-24542

I like cake!

Edited by QuiteContrary, 17 October 2013 - 09:31 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users