Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

ET search could focus on alien transmitters

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

A new focus for SETI could be to look for extraterrestrial transmitters within our own solar system.

The idea stems from the concept that if an intelligent extraterrestrial race were using a probe to study our planet then in order to transmit the data back to their own solar system they would need a means with which to send a signal over long interstellar distances.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...en-transmitters

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Not very likely.... Even if ET had FTL comunication it would still take "forever" to get information about other worlds.

But hey, like SETI, cant hurt to look, right?

Edited by DBunker, 19 October 2013 - 10:48 AM.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

So if we can hack into their probe then we might make contact?

Whats the chances of that happening, all our descent hackers are either dead, in prison, or too expensive for  SETI to buy off.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    Spacenut56

Spacenut56

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Plus I think we are looking for something like high intensity light sources ( as in some form  from some civilization)  from out there as well. Correct me if I am wrong on this.

Edited by Spacenut56, 19 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#5    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostUM-Bot, on 19 October 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

A new focus for SETI could be to look for extraterrestrial transmitters within our own solar system.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...en-transmitters

Lets suppose aliens have known about human civilization since its very being.

We didnt have TVs or Radios to start with so their data collection would have been through observation alone. To me that means spy probes would be in Earths orbit (to observe what we were up to on all sides of the Earth). I cant see the probes being in the outer solar system because they would need to move really fast to keep up with Earths orbit or there would have to be a large number of them.

I think it may even be more realistic for them to have nano-probes here right now on earth relaying data to some kind of space processing centre. They arent using electro-magnetism otherwise we would have detected the signals leaking out. Therefore I think SETI is a dead duck. I think we should be looking for more exotic forms of communication.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostSpacenut56, on 19 October 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

Plus I think we are looking for something like high intensity light sources ( as in some form  from some civilization)  from out there as well. Correct me if I am wrong on this.
not sure, how about we ask them when we make contact   "are you using high intensity light sources, oh and can I borrow your loo?"

Chances are they (if there is a they) will be using something completely alien to us, so the longer we keep looking for something which only we will recognise, the longer we will be alone.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yes, we are conducting SETI searches in the optical range--
http://en.wikipedia....cal_experiments
I don't see how we could conduct searches by means with which we're not already familiar. First we'd have to discover the physics, and invent the technology with which to do the searching. Neutrinos and gravitational waves are at least known. Much more sensitive detectors of these would appear to be needed for SETI work, though.

#8    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

I insist that the extraterrestrials have no difficulty in making themselves known and heard. SETI simply does Not know how to 'decode' the space alien language and their own efforts probably stopped dead at:

'The God that you speak of is Not God as we know this concept. Since you do not even understand the process of death, transition, and rebirth what makes you think that you have communicated with God ?'  So then if the space alien cultures would not accept their own religious views about the One God as being the god of the entire cosmos, does that scares them ?  Or ever worse these scientists are atheists and have no concepts about gods, or the powers that be whatsoever, this could definately be the cause of their own refusal to communicate with us because they are too
ofended by such denials.

They already have either studied our various Earth languages or you can understand (yes, hear) what they say because on an etherial or astral level all language is universal. Certain ideals or ideas can get lost in the translation because our own Earth language does not contain or yet define those particular concepts. Tune in and focus on the dialog sometimes and you might see what I mean. They do know how to communicate on what seems to us an etherial level but by using their technology. Radio waves carrying messages from outer space are viscum, they can be played out any where at any time, for anybody. Our government has been on a wild goose chase for decades and feigning or faking progress, and they are much more concerned on how they appear and 'damage control' to their own reputation over their own inability to manage these complexities. It might shock some to discover that better results than the SETI project can be obtained with a OUIJA board, and already has been. This makes me wonder too, are they spiritually deaf or just damned crazy ?

Edited by spacelizard667, 20 October 2013 - 12:38 AM.

#9    Kludge808

Kludge808

Forum god of all things

• 1,741 posts

• Proud Member of the Geriatric Squadron
    Proud Member of the Thinking Class

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:30 AM

Ummm ... okay.  Whatever you say there, lizard old chap.

Whirled Infamous Author and all around really strange person
Not a complete idiot.  Some pieces are missing.

One of UM's Happy Mutants

#10    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,101 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

View PostKludge808, on 20 October 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

Ummm ... okay.  Whatever you say there, lizard old chap.
Be careful, he is an overlord, afterall...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#11    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,101 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

View Postspacelizard667, on 20 October 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

I insist that the extraterrestrials have no difficulty in making themselves known and heard. SETI simply does Not know how to 'decode' the space alien language and their own efforts probably stopped dead at:

'The God that you speak of is Not God as we know this concept. Since you do not even understand the process of death, transition, and rebirth what makes you think that you have communicated with God ?'  So then if the space alien cultures would not accept their own religious views about the One God as being the god of the entire cosmos, does that scares them ?  Or ever worse these scientists are atheists and have no concepts about gods, or the powers that be whatsoever, this could definately be the cause of their own refusal to communicate with us because they are too
ofended by such denials.

They already have either studied our various Earth languages or you can understand (yes, hear) what they say because on an etherial or astral level all language is universal. Certain ideals or ideas can get lost in the translation because our own Earth language does not contain or yet define those particular concepts. Tune in and focus on the dialog sometimes and you might see what I mean. They do know how to communicate on what seems to us an etherial level but by using their technology. Radio waves carrying messages from outer space are viscum, they can be played out any where at any time, for anybody. Our government has been on a wild goose chase for decades and feigning or faking progress, and they are much more concerned on how they appear and 'damage control' to their own reputation over their own inability to manage these complexities. It might shock some to discover that better results than the SETI project can be obtained with a OUIJA board, and already has been. This makes me wonder too, are they spiritually deaf or just damned crazy ?
Word salad, at its best...
And OUIJA board? Seriously?!
Can I get that stuff you smoked while writing that gibberish?

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#12    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

View Postbison, on 19 October 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Yes, we are conducting SETI searches in the optical range--
http://en.wikipedia....cal_experiments
I don't see how we could conduct searches by means with which we're not already familiar. First we'd have to discover the physics, and invent the technology with which to do the searching. Neutrinos and gravitational waves are at least known. Much more sensitive detectors of these would appear to be needed for SETI work, though.

If the aliens are a million years ahead of us they may have perfected stealth technology to the degree wheres its impossible to detect a probe with any known or yet to be known physics. It may be 100% invisible.

#13    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,101 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostSilentHunter, on 20 October 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

If the aliens are a million years ahead of us they may have perfected stealth technology to the degree wheres its impossible to detect a probe with any known or yet to be known physics. It may be 100% invisible.
How, then, there are tons of photos of "them"?

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,781 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostSilentHunter, on 19 October 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Lets suppose aliens have known about human civilization since its very being.

We didnt have TVs or Radios to start with so their data collection would have been through observation alone. To me that means spy probes would be in Earths orbit (to observe what we were up to on all sides of the Earth). I cant see the probes being in the outer solar system because they would need to move really fast to keep up with Earths orbit or there would have to be a large number of them.

I think it may even be more realistic for them to have nano-probes here right now on earth relaying data to some kind of space processing centre. They arent using electro-magnetism otherwise we would have detected the signals leaking out. Therefore I think SETI is a dead duck. I think we should be looking for more exotic forms of communication.

Though in the primitive stages, we are already working on various forms of cloaking/invisibility tech and nano, so a sufficiently advanced civilization conceivably could hide in plain sight, and be much closer to the beings (us) they are trying to study.

And if they are worried about detection, perhaps retrieval vs. signaling would be a possibility, though that carries its own risk of detection.

Edited by Sundew, 20 October 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#15    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 20 October 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

How, then, there are tons of photos of "them"?

Assuming it is them. However my comments are flawed. They would be sending some form of message back to their homeworld so obviously some information must be leaving our solar system in whatever capacity that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users