Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

3D printable guns: predictions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

So everyone knows with the New 3D printers that guns are easily printed. Right now the guns are not the most effective, they blow up a lot. But im sure they will get more advanced as time goes on.

This thread is just about predictions of how it will effect society?

How would you regulate something like that? Is it possible?

I just want to add that the point of this thread isn't a debate about gun rights/gun control. I just want to see what peoples predictions are for how these 3D printed guns will advance, be regulated if possible. And so on.

Posted Image

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,704 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Not much,anybody who wants to can build his own gun with less than $1000 worth of tools in his garage, barrel and all.

My prediction is that the number of accidents will increase if this gets to be a generalized hobby.

Edited by questionmark, 19 October 2013 - 05:29 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,271 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

It looks similar to one of these:

Posted Image

is there a connection with the manufacturers?

#4    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

A lot easier to buy a gun on the street than deal with this crap, a lot more reliable too.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 19 October 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

So everyone knows with the New 3D printers that guns are easily printed. Right now the guns are not the most effective, they blow up a lot. But im sure they will get more advanced as time goes on.

This thread is just about predictions of how it will effect society?

How would you regulate something like that? Is it possible?

I just want to add that the point of this thread isn't a debate about gun rights/gun control. I just want to see what peoples predictions are for how these 3D printed guns will advance, be regulated if possible. And so on.
The govt is going to control it I have to believe.  Special laws could make 3D printed (additive manufacturing) guns more tightly controlled than real firearms that are made with traditional subtractive processes.

I think one unfortunate side effect of the technology is that these guns are going to get into the hands of people who shouldn't have them and it's going to create further "need" for gun control.  

That's the unstoppable trend over the long term, it seems, to gradually get more and more controlling, and until when?  

Until Marx and Lenin were right?

Edited by Yamato, 19 October 2013 - 07:12 PM.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#6    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't want to own a gun made with this technology, until it's been tested rigorously, standardized, regulated, etc.    It's a ticking time bomb, imho.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#7    Gromdor

Gromdor

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

They will do the same thing with 3D printers as they do with regular printers to stop counterfeiting http://www.pcworld.c...r_printers.html.

#8    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,780 posts

• ראה

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

I expect that they will make it onto airplanes one day, and from there, it's anybody's guess.

The Superbowl at half-time would be a possible target, but I expect this has already been addressed, from a protection standpoint. AT least I would hope so.

I think dogs could be taught to detect the type of plastic they're using, which I suspect is unique due to its hardness, at least for now, but it would take a lot of dogs sniffing around to catch the bad guys.

It will be a sad day when and if this ever happens.

One of three hijacked planes might get through, and the Superbowl stadium in flames .... not a pretty sight.

Edited by Raptor Witness, 19 October 2013 - 10:49 PM.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,223 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

Anyone got the link to the blueprints for the 3D gun?   Isn't downloading the plans an online theft of intellectual property?   Even without the patent, which I assume doesn't exist?

With the geopolitics we're living with in the world today, the last thing we need is a better kind of gun.   Still, I'd love to see the 4th or 5th Mk in the evolution of this type of weapon.

#10    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostYamato, on 19 October 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Anyone got the link to the blueprints for the 3D gun?   Isn't downloading the plans an online theft of intellectual property?   Even without the patent, which I assume doesn't exist?

With the geopolitics we're living with in the world today, the last thing we need is a better kind of gun.   Still, I'd love to see the 4th or 5th Mk in the evolution of this type of weapon.

I don't have any blueprints personally. The first guy put it up just to show that it could be done and tons of people downloaded it. But then the government took it down but im sure its floating around places. Im pretty sure there wasent a patent.

But yeah after acouple evolutions im sure the 3D guns could get pretty effective.

Heres a link about it http://techcrunch.co...deleting-files/

Edited by spartan max2, 20 October 2013 - 12:05 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users