Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Families With Kids Go Homeless

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,016 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Bloomberg said:

When Montoria Freeland separated from her husband of 15 years in 2008, she left a four-bedroom house and economic security. Before long, her pay and hours as a pharmacy technician were cut and she found herself and her son facing homelessness.

Freeland lived with family for a time, she said, and four months ago moved into transitional housing funded by the city government in Washington, D.C., while searching for work that pays more than her $8.25-an-hour retail job. Having lost her oldest son in a 2000 homicide, Freeland said she insists on looking for housing in a safe neighborhood for her surviving one, now 17. She found that’s available only at an increasingly steep price.

“You’re trying to pay car insurance, rent, electric, cable and if you’re using public transit, putting money on your card, groceries,” said Freeland, who was accepted into a program that provides temporary housing, financial planning and job-placement counseling. “It’s hard to survive out here.”

read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

If she isn't economically stable, why doesn't the father have custody?

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,305 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Although I feel for these families, humans selfishness has not and is not helping the future generations.
We have entered a stage where computers are the future and they are the future job workers too. Man has created a system where he can make more money by using equipment which cuts the staff force, but at the same time, humans are  still breeding with no consideration of the future for their child.
People are using far more electricity, water and gas, more money on convinient foods , because they want their luxeries and want all their children to have them too, at the same time big companies are racking it in because they know people will not do without their 4 computers, 3 t.vs ,fridge freezer, hoover, electric kettles,  washing machings and lights in everyroom...it comes at a cost people, living does NOT have to be so expensive, but people have become far too reliant not only in heir luxeries, but also on others.
We have never had it so good, read some history books on how poor people really lived, then come back and complain.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 October 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Although I feel for these families, humans selfishness has not and is not helping the future generations.
We have entered a stage where computers are the future and they are the future job workers too. Man has created a system where he can make more money by using equipment which cuts the staff force, but at the same time, humans are  still breeding with no consideration of the future for their child.
People are using far more electricity, water and gas, more money on convinient foods , because they want their luxeries and want all their children to have them too, at the same time big companies are racking it in because they know people will not do without their 4 computers, 3 t.vs ,fridge freezer, hoover, electric kettles,  washing machings and lights in everyroom...it comes at a cost people, living does NOT have to be so expensive, but people have become far too reliant not only in heir luxeries, but also on others.
We have never had it so good, read some history books on how poor people really lived, then come back and complain.

not all of us live this way.

My family of three with two of us working, sharing one 14 yr old car between us, are barely keeping our heads above water.

we have one small tv, the one car, heating? heck, we keep our therm. at 80 in summertime and 60 in wintertime to save on money, sometimes in summertime we do not even use our air, we jst turn on a fan or two that was cheap at kmart.

we share ONE cell phone between us. we use virgin mobile, as that was the cheapest we could find in our area.

not all of us live high on the hog. one small tv, one netbook which is by the way, about 5 yrs old, and we have one of those hand devices thats like 6 inches by 7 inches. which my duaghter uses, my son and i share the netbook. its one of those 10 inch ones.

Nothing newer or bigger. We do not even own a vcr.

What do we do when nothing to do? like late at night and such? instead of tv cable, we get the cheapest streamline netflix, we do not even have it delivered to the house, only streamlined on tv. for cable, we get computer cable, and only so much a month can we use. it is only about 30 to 35 bux a month.

The rest of our money goes on rent, electricity, water, sewage, trash, gasoline, car ins. medical bills, medication and car upkeep, we just went in the hole last pay check because breaks went bad, and had to pay 250 for new ones, plus rotors.

Not all of us know what its like to live it up in todays world.

My job has put a pay cap on everything, raises come few and far between. My other child works at a fast food, because most places here now has a hiring freeze on. MMy other child cannot work outside the home, because he is the 'driver', my daughters shcedule and my own do not mesh. we both work nights too, so no bus. and taxies are to expensive, so he is the car driver making sure we get to and from work, my schedule is so sketchy, i am on a flex schedule, some days i work 8 hours, some days i get sent home for what is called lack of work, so i work maybe 5 hours. so he has to be ready to come get me at a moments notice, he also tends to all yard work, all house work and all cooking and cleaning.

for a while he worked outside the home and my daughter did hte house stuff, but she got a job offer and he was laid off because the groceries around here are no longer doing the 'butcher' thing in the stores and meat packers are not needed. so about 70 pple here got laid off. my son was one of them.

we struggle our butts off, we work hard. and if our rent gets raised any more then it is now.. we will probably end up homeless.

Not everyone is used to lviing it up with four computers two tvs, cables, and all the bells and whistles.. i am still wearig clothes i got 8 yrs ago, and *I* have lost 100 pnds!

imagine how I feel.

but life is life, and i was raised old fashioned. I know what its like to have nothing.

Posted Image

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,305 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

@willowdreams,
if others were not so selfish, then people like you may not have to struggle your butts off.
Too many hard working people are working today to
1: pay higher rates, taxes and rents to substitute others
2: paying higher bills because the big companies are raking in the profits and know that people need their services

In England we have many people relying on others and relying on the state to keep them and their children, originally the idea and theory was right, but this system has been abused and is being abused to the hilt.
Why should you struggle? you should not have to, not if you are all working (bar 1)
But the unfortunate thing is, its everyman for himself and if others can get others to pay for them, they will and they do not give a damn on how much you are finding things hard.

I live on a boat, my out goings are minimal, we do work and use our wages go to pay for things we know as purely essentials, "coal and boat maintenance" we collect our own wood and grow some of our own foods, if we have to go without, fine, but like you and your family, we can hold our heads up and say we do not rely on others to fund us because have become part of the "system".

I know not every one is like what I described, but those who are a making a big dent in the pockets of the hardworking tax payers.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,314 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostAndami, on 19 October 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

If she isn't economically stable, why doesn't the father have custody?
Because most courts rule in favour of the mother - Kramer vs Kramer isn't really a fiction, it's a reflection of reality - no matter what.

#7    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

One of my apprentices at work has 8 kids with 5 mothers.  He said they were "Blessings from God."   At the $12/hr rate that he gets paid, I have to say those "blessings" are a curse to rest of us.

#8    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

whereas I do 'get it', there is a great deal of responsibilities for choices one makes, and really.. i think this 'babies are a blessing' thing is fine, but 'stop' when you get to your pay limit (slam me for that comment all you wish, i know if we all waited till we could afford a baby, hardly any would be born.. but seriously, one or two.. is fine, but infinity and beyond because they are a blessing? Get real). and take care of what you have..  if you do what you should do, you will not have as MANY issues in your life.. but it is not always the case.

I do wish there was something for the hard working people doing what is right.. and still falling down, i wish they would have a way of getting pple the help they NEED.

But i also wish those who are users of the system got flushed out of the system..

Like the people who live across from me.. in our home we live as under our means as possible in order to pay for my medication, medical bills, and pay for our own living expenses.. yet my neighbors.. do drugs, have been picked up by cops over and over for selling prescription drugs,  and they party weekly and wonder why they have so many fights with other people.  They get food stamps, medical disability and utility help from the state..

They also get free bus rides to and from doctor apnts.

That for me is frustrating.. and anger inducing at times.. I was in the hospital last yr for two weeks with heart failure as for whateverf reason my body is not producing potassium and it bottomed out.. i have to go to doctor visits weekly, do to warfarin pills, and buy pills.. and even with medical ins. I have to pay out the bum what the ins does NOT pay..

i asked for help, and was told no, i asked WHY, because I know we live on near poverty level.. you know what I found out>? no one in our household is pregnant.. no one in our household is minority, (neighbors are mexican/american), no one in our home has a drug/addiction problem (both of them have drug and alcohol problems and must attend mandatory meetings)..and no one in our home has been incarcerated  in the last 24 months.. or ever..  and with my daughter working and owning a car, regardless of how old it is.. we make **ta dum*.. 98 dollars OVER the max amnt of what we need to have in order to be elligable for at least free bux ride to and from work and doctor visits.

something is wrong with this... very very very very very very wrong..

seems the wrong people get rewarded. while everyone else gets kicked out onto the streets.

Posted Image

#9    Raptor Witness

Raptor Witness

Savant

• 2,151 posts

• ראה

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

The Fed's new chairwoman is charged with restoring the job market, not just the balance sheets of the gambling houses on Wall Street.

I wouldn't give up on her just yet.

We're a long ways from wage inflation, so I expect the stimulus to keep on coming.

All that money tied up in these corporations has to go someplace eventually, if anything, our of shear boredom for another bubble.

Posted Image "Make Manifest Destiny a memory ..." 12-7-2011  "When the earth is displaced fully three times at the point of destiny ..." 10-29-2013

#10    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,912 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:25 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 19 October 2013 - 06:11 PM, said:

Makes me wonder why she lists cable with food, rent and electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users