Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Man, 50, left without electricity or gas

gas electricity chris guest meter torchlight

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 October 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Ace :tu:

There is NOOOO excuse today for someone to be completely without any kind of cooking facility, a lot of the camping stuff can be used in doors safely.
I dread to think what some people will do here if there is a power cut....it will be like Armageddon for some of them.

the other day the water company let pple here know that from like 8 am till 5pm the water would be cut off on wednesday. (gave everyone a week notice) as there is some work that needs done.

People were like 'what will we do?', my daugher was like, 9 hours? pshhhhhhhhhhh a breeze.  

I mean its JUST one single day, make sure you do all your cleaning up the day before, your toilet flushed before its turned off, the tank filled up. We have several 5 gallon buckets with lids (12 of em), we keep them filled with water, because we have tornado season, so we figure to keep stocked on some items..

Others here should not freak either, they have lived here longer then us and should have tornado supplies at the very least.

We have a carbon monoxide detector in two rooms of our house, since when storms happen, we use our propane hot water tank and propane cook stove.

To be honest, my son, the last time we had a blizzard so bad it closed MY job down for two days.. he smoked a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters outside.. as well as two roasts (hey, you smoke your chicken leg/thighs, put one each in a freezer baggie, and freeze them, when you make a pot of beans, just toss one leg/thigh in the pot, and the chicken adds some meat, and the smoke flavor intensifies the beans! we also use a leg in our root stews too!, we slice our beef roasts and freeze them with juice.. and take out a baggie for sandwiches.)

but anyways.. yet should at the least.. have three days worth of food and water stocked up. cheap to do, and can be a life saver.

you never know what will happen.

Posted Image

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,280 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

View Postwillowdreams, on 20 October 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

the other day the water company let pple here know that from like 8 am till 5pm the water would be cut off on wednesday. (gave everyone a week notice) as there is some work that needs done.

People were like 'what will we do?', my daugher was like, 9 hours? pshhhhhhhhhhh a breeze.  

I mean its JUST one single day, make sure you do all your cleaning up the day before, your toilet flushed before its turned off, the tank filled up. We have several 5 gallon buckets with lids (12 of em), we keep them filled with water, because we have tornado season, so we figure to keep stocked on some items..

Others here should not freak either, they have lived here longer then us and should have tornado supplies at the very least.

We have a carbon monoxide detector in two rooms of our house, since when storms happen, we use our propane hot water tank and propane cook stove.

To be honest, my son, the last time we had a blizzard so bad it closed MY job down for two days.. he smoked a 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters outside.. as well as two roasts (hey, you smoke your chicken leg/thighs, put one each in a freezer baggie, and freeze them, when you make a pot of beans, just toss one leg/thigh in the pot, and the chicken adds some meat, and the smoke flavor intensifies the beans! we also use a leg in our root stews too!, we slice our beef roasts and freeze them with juice.. and take out a baggie for sandwiches.)

but anyways.. yet should at the least.. have three days worth of food and water stocked up. cheap to do, and can be a life saver.

you never know what will happen.
I have fire extinguishers in each room, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, water containers, just incase and always stocked up on wood.
Baked beans....now them i can live on for years, cold? not a problem.
I live on a narrowboat so do not rely on the big companies to supply my lecky, we have 5 270amp batteries, an inverter and solar panels.

If there was ever a world wide power failure, you are welcome to come round for dinner,  we could take it in turns. :yes:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 October 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

I have fire extinguishers in each room, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors, water containers, just incase and always stocked up on wood.
Baked beans....now them i can live on for years, cold? not a problem.
I live on a narrowboat so do not rely on the big companies to supply my lecky, we have 5 270amp batteries, an inverter and solar panels.

If there was ever a world wide power failure, you are welcome to come round for dinner,  we could take it in turns. :yes:

heh both my kids, have often said they would like us all to live on a homestead near woods.. someplace where we could have our own gardens, enough for drying and canning food for the winter and longer, plus my daughter is really into making homemade soaps and such.

I also would love this, sadly, it takes money to get started and we never seem to have to nickles to rub together.. but,, we do things to help ourselves along.

The store bakeries give away those five gallon tubs with lids, they get 'icing' in them, we just clean them out and store stuff. when we buy beans or any leguemes, you know how you get to the bottom of the bags, and there are always a small bit left over, but not enough for a meal? We dump them in a bean jar.. all our smalls at the end of the bags from pinto beans, chick peas, split peas AND rice!!!!!!!! and when the jar is full, we put half in a baggie and get all the air out and with marker, mark date and time and dump in a plastic bucket.  the other half we make two meals out of *grins*

we do the same with sugar and salt.. I am not saying its fast going on filling those buckets up with dried goods, however.. it is taking steps forward and not backwards.. less panic when emergencies happen.

If something happened and we couldnt go to the grocery store.. we could just pull out a bucket of dried goods and have a weeks worth of meals right there!!

heck, anyone can and should do it.. but see.. i grew up on a farm, yet dirt poor.. and stock piling for 6 months was a normal way of life.. we also picked a lot.. pickled onionis, pickled beets, pickleds eggs.. pickles!

sometimes we move so fast forward, that we forget it can all be taken away.

Edited by willowdreams, 20 October 2013 - 05:15 PM.

Posted Image

#19    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,624 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Gotta admire the man's stubbornness with refusing to cave when he knows he's right.

#20    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

Why should he pay to have it fixed i bet it was bad from the factory

#21    electric chris

electric chris

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

I am the man in question and Eon still refuse to even talk about it

#22    electric chris

electric chris

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

cool guy it did not work from day one and they still say its my fault

#23    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,522 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 October 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Hiya bulveye, 1st I would like to point out that i am no fan of these electricity companies.
In this particular case, eon has not broken the data protection act, it is him who went to the press:

After three years living in miserable conditions, he has finally decided to speak out having reached the end of his tether.

http://www.dailymail...ring-meter.html

3 years is a long time, really this should have been resolved a lot earlier.
As for no cooking conditions, that IMO is :
his choice,
a complete lie
or the man has some mental issues

Camping stoves are not hard to find, he could have easily bought one of these:

Posted Image
I had to use one of these for 2 months on my first boat while we were doing it up. They are cheap and do the job and are quite safe to use indoors.

I had exact same on my boat,  and gas cartridges can be found VERY cheaply in multi-packs etc. Heck I even had, again on the boat, a fairly large solar panel for trickle charging my boat batteries (which powered the lights and heater)  with connectors for things like phones. That cost me about £30 and worth its weight in gold,

No I think this guy has 'issues' and has dropped out of society for whatever reasons.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#24    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,280 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

View Postseeder, on 31 October 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I had exact same on my boat,  and gas cartridges can be found VERY cheaply in multi-packs etc. Heck I even had, again on the boat, a fairly large solar panel for trickle charging my boat batteries (which powered the lights and heater)  with connectors for things like phones. That cost me about £30 and worth its weight in gold,

No I think this guy has 'issues' and has dropped out of society for whatever reasons.
We now have  a full size gas cooker now, the bottle lasts us a year because all we have using the gas is the cooker.
And you are so right about the solar panel to trickle charge the batteries, we have 5  x 270amp batteries and have them on charge this way.

View Postelectric chris, on 31 October 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

electric Chris? haha, love the name.
if you are the guy in question, why can you not use other means to keep yourself warm or heat your water?
I hope you have picked up a few ideas from here and hope you stay warm for the coming season. :tu:

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#25    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 October 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Watched? are you kidding, i was not going to go out there, it was far too cold.

Just spat my wine out at that, in fact I think it is coming out of my nose.

Posted Image

#26    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

View Postelectric chris, on 31 October 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

So........how do you power your computer? :huh:

How do we know you're him? :unsure:

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#27    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 31 October 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

So........how do you power your computer?

He is called electric chris... work it out?

Posted Image

#28    electric chris

electric chris

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

hi folks you can see my photos on facebook if want to check it out (cguest4@hotmail.com) and also the landlord does not allow non domestic appliances in the property ie camper stove and I usually eat in restraunts and use the computer in the library or at my mates house I like my life I have a ball

#29    electric chris

electric chris

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostSir Rupert Von-Fritz 3rd, on 31 October 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

He is called electric chris... work it out?

View PostEuphorbia, on 31 October 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

So........how do you power your computer? :huh:

How do we know you're him? :unsure:
why would any body want look a prat like I do now

#30    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,522 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I also got one of these initially for the shed

http://www.tesco.com...CFfMctAodrn0AGA

There are some great solar lights available if you look,  and not just the security type either, you can have the small solar panel inside a window to charge the unit and just use the light as and when needed... no tech knowledge needed - and provides ample light. With enough of them, you could light an entire home.

Ive often toyed with the idea (since having a boat) to rig my home up with such FREE energy devices in case of power cuts, but the other half wont have it :lol:  So instead we have the 8 hour candles for emergencies, though never been used so far.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users