Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Security Check Now Starts Long Before You Fly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,690 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

NY Times said:

The Transportation Security Administration is expanding its screening of passengers before they arrive at the airport by searching a wide array of government and private databases that can include records like car registrations and employment information.

While the agency says that the goal is to streamline the security procedures for millions of passengers who pose no risk, the new measures give the government greater authority to use travelers’ data for domestic airport screenings. Previously that level of scrutiny applied only to individuals entering the United States.

The prescreening, some of which is already taking place, is described in documents the T.S.A. released to comply with government regulations about the collection and use of individuals’ data, but the details of the program have not been publicly announced.

Read more

Edit: why do I get the feeling that instead of a transparent government we are getting transparent citizens?

Edited by questionmark, 22 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,271 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Now, the search includes using a traveler’s passport number, which is already used to screen people at the border, and other identifiers to access a system of databases maintained by the Department of Homeland Security.
http://www.nytimes.c...ly.html?hp&_r=1&

The fake document forgers will be working just a little bit harder...for now then?
Yes, this will stop many, but those who really want to get in will somehow.

I wonder if the will be using this info for people they train at their military bases?

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,107 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Frankly I'm glad that the paranoia of the U.S. Authorities that anyone who might want to visit the U.S. is probably a potential Terrorist is now being extended to Americans themselves. Then maybe they might start to get angry about it.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 October 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Edit: why do I get the feeling that instead of a transparent government we are getting transparent citizens?
if you have nothing to hide, it should not concearn you.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,107 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postaztek, on 22 October 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

if you have nothing to hide, it should not concearn you.
Ah, the motto of the Geheime Staatzpolizei, Komitet gosudarstvennoy bezopasnost, and Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, there, and now of course, the Abteilung von Heimat Sicherheit.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#6    Gromdor

Gromdor

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

When I flew to the US from Turkey, Brazil, and other places I plopped my suitcase on the luggage scanner, walked through a metal detector and he hopped on a plane to the US.

When I fly from Des Moines, Iowa to Dallas,  TX, I take off my shoes, go through the full body scanner with my hands in the air, get felt up by one of the 30 security guards, turn on all my electronic devices, wait for an explosives swipe on my wallet because I forgot to take it out of my pocket, answer a bunch of silly questions that a terrorist would have already made up a lie for, and then I get on the plane.

I have to admit though, the system works.  There have been 0 terrorists from Iowa that have successfully hi-jacked a plane.

#7    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 22 October 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Ah, the motto of the Geheime Staatzpolizei, Komitet gosudarstvennoy bezopasnost, and Ministerium für Staatssicherheit, there, and now of course, the Abteilung von Heimat Sicherheit.
lol, it was sarcasm.
he says that in gun threads.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,690 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 22 October 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

That would be Abteilung für Heimatsschutz.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#9    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

snip

Edited by OverSword, 22 October 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#10    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 15,217 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 22 October 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

Frankly I'm glad that the paranoia of the U.S. Authorities that anyone who might want to visit the U.S. is probably a potential Terrorist is now being extended to Americans themselves. Then maybe they might start to get angry about it.
Wow, you should come join us on my immigration checkpoint thread.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#11    acidhead

acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,926 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

View PostGromdor, on 22 October 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

When I flew to the US from Turkey, Brazil, and other places I plopped my suitcase on the luggage scanner, walked through a metal detector and he hopped on a plane to the US.

When I fly from Des Moines, Iowa to Dallas,  TX, I take off my shoes, go through the full body scanner with my hands in the air, get felt up by one of the 30 security guards, turn on all my electronic devices, wait for an explosives swipe on my wallet because I forgot to take it out of my pocket, answer a bunch of silly questions that a terrorist would have already made up a lie for, and then I get on the plane.

I have to admit though, the system works.  There have been 0 terrorists from Iowa that have successfully hi-jacked a plane.

America has the safest potential terrorist population on the planet.  Good job TSA.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#12    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

I couldn't resist....

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Edited by Kowalski, 22 October 2013 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users