Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UK nuclear power plant gets go-ahead

nuclear power plant hinkley point c plant

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,911 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

The government has given the go-ahead for the UK's first new nuclear station in a generation.

France's EDF Energy will lead a consortium, which includes Chinese investors, to build the Hinkley Point C plant in Somerset.

Ministers say the deal will help take the UK towards low-carbon power and lower generating costs in future.

Critics warn guaranteeing the group a price for electricity at twice the current level will raise bills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-24604218

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Critics warn guaranteeing the group a price for electricity at twice the current level will raise bills.

That's because EDF will still overcharge us to subsidise France...as they are doing now.

Why do we need investment from the Chinese, we should just stop sending millions in aid money to places like India to fund their space projects, and then we can do it ourselves!!

CAN WE NOT BUILD ANYTHING BRITISH TODAY????!!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,478 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 22 October 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

That is a question you should have asked Lady Thatcher after she dismantled Britain industrial base.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#4    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

The Chinese have their fingers in a lot of Pies,we will pay dearly one day.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#5    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 22 October 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

That's because EDF will still overcharge us to subsidise France...as they are doing now.

Why do we need investment from the Chinese, we should just stop sending millions in aid money to places like India to fund their space projects, and then we can do it ourselves!!

If its cheaper to outsource then it gets outsourced.

I bet some Africans and South Americans are sat around thinking why BP, Shell and Rio Tinto are in their countries. After all cant they extract resources on their own without UK involvement today??? lmao.

Edited by SilentHunter, 22 October 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostSilentHunter, on 22 October 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

I bet some Africans and South Americans are sat around thinking why BP, Shell and Rio Tinto are in their countries. After all cant they extract resources on their own without UK involvement today??? lmao.
Nuclear power is the way forward because iit does not run out like coal and petrol will one day.
Britain HAD its own indusries, and please do not compare Britain to Africa, and what countries in Africa are you refeing to?

Edited by freetoroam, 22 October 2013 - 06:50 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 22 October 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

That is a question you should have asked Lady Thatcher after she dismantled Britain industrial base.
Many tried.

#8    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,362 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I wonder why there's not more effort to use geothermal means to generate electricity instead of this highly toxic and dangerous method of nuclear?

http://en.wikipedia....mal_electricity

#9    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,179 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 22 October 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Britain HAD its own indusries,

We sure did, but you would have to go a long way back to find a time when they were worth talking about in any type of glowing terms. I don't mean going back a few decades either, got to be half a century at least since we made a decent globally attractive product (rather then the components we make now, which we are actually pretty good at).

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#10    keithisco

keithisco

Alien Abducter

• 5,180 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

View PostOverSword, on 22 October 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

I wonder why there's not more effort to use geothermal means to generate electricity instead of this highly toxic and dangerous method of nuclear?

http://en.wikipedia....mal_electricity

A little known factoid is that my home city in the Uk (Southampton) leads the world in its use of Geothermal heating and chilling technology:

There is a continued international interest in the scheme as it still leads the way in sustainable energy schemes and is also an excellent example of how public and private organisations can work together.

and this since 1986 - 28 years!!

Link to site: https://www.southamp...rgy/Geothermal/

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 5,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 22 October 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

We sure did, but you would have to go a long way back to find a time when they were worth talking about in any type of glowing terms. I don't mean going back a few decades either, got to be half a century at least since we made a decent globally attractive product (rather then the components we make now, which we are actually pretty good at).
What components do we make now, apart from chemicals to Syria.
We have 4 British car manufacturers and 11 made in Britain but owned by other countries.
The majority of gas is from Norway and the coal from Russia. we have Coalfield Resources PLC,  so why are some still buying from Russia instead of supporting us? I know, I know...its cheaper.

#12    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,165 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 22 October 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

The Chinese have their fingers in a lot of Pies,we will pay dearly one day.

Yeah they want to build a Nuclear plant in England, but still build countless cheap coal fired generators in their own country every year.  Is this their idea of carbon offset?

Posted Image

#13    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,360 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

View Postskookum, on 22 October 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

Yeah they want to build a Nuclear plant in England, but still build countless cheap coal fired generators in their own country every year.  Is this their idea of carbon offset?

Probably,but you can guarantee that it will run over budget and the cost will be passed on to the consumer.When Maggie privatised the energy industry she certainly ensured that future generations of Consumers would be put to the Sword for the benefit of the Shareholders.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#14    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,360 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostSilentHunter, on 22 October 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Exploitation springs to mind,withhold the technology and they will let the big Corporate machine roll in and strip their Countries.

#15    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,179 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 22 October 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

What components do we make now, apart from chemicals to Syria.
We have 4 British car manufacturers and 11 made in Britain but owned by other countries.
The majority of gas is from Norway and the coal from Russia. we have Coalfield Resources PLC,  so why are some still buying from Russia instead of supporting us? I know, I know...its cheaper.

We are still big in aerospace, medical and science. The depressing part is over half of British companies are foreign owned or invested in now, and just under half our patents are foreign owned now. We don't even own our own national lottery anymore, it's owned by a Canadian pension fund. What a sad state of affairs...

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users