Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Galactic Mosh Pit

galaxies milky way

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,219 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

The Galactic Mosh Pit

Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam said:

22 October 2013. Astronomers have discovered that our Galaxy wobbles. An international team of astronomers around Mary Williams from the Leibniz Institute for Astrophysics Potsdam (AIP) detected and examined this phenomenon with the RAdial Velocity Experiment (RAVE), a survey of almost half a million stars around the Sun. In addition to the regular Galactic rotation the scientists found the Milky Way moving perpendicular to the Galactic plane.

It is common knowledge that our Galaxy is permanently in motion. Being a barred spiral galaxy it rotates around the Galactic centre. It has now been discovered that our Galaxy, the Milky Way, also makes small wobbling or squishing movements. It acts like a Galactic mosh pit or a huge flag fluttering in the wind, north to south, from the Galactic plane with forces coming from multiple directions, creating a chaotic wave pattern. The source of the forces is still not understood however: possible causes include spiral arms stirring things up or ripples caused by the passage of a smaller galaxy through our own.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

oh wow i did not know this and am now facinated

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

That is interesting...

I looked at the diagram they included that showed the 'flow'... It reminded me of a convection current... Everything above the "0" X axis flowing 'clockwise' to the center and everything below flowing counter...
I know it's not a convection current, but it does resemble one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users