Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Tomb of the Doctor of Pharohs found

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1    jmccr8

jmccr8

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

I just came across this article and hadn't seen it posted here and didn't know where else to put it.

Dig unearths 4,000 year old tomb of doctor to pharaohs

This following link is to an article that is a year old but I thought I would add it as well as it is from the same period in ancient Egypt

Pharaonic princess's tomb found near Cairo, Egypt (Update)

jmccr8

#2    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,410 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:21 AM

An interesting find, jmccr8. It's always important when archaeologists can add to our understanding of medicine in ancient Egypt, especially in the Old Kingdom. I was looking for better photos of the inscriptions and found a slightly more detailed one here. I'll post the photo:

Posted Image

I was hoping to find the mention of doctor (swnw or a variant), which is attested in the Old Kingdom, but I don't see it. I found the title of priest (Hm-nTr), as well as Courtier of the Palace (smr-praA). As with any nobleman, this guy racked up titles.

I found it odd that the article doesn't mention the tomb owner's name, but it's fairly obvious right there above the figure of the man with the black wig: Shepseskaf-Ankh. It's interesting that he's named for the last king of Dynasty 4, and it's not a name I've come across before. I'm pretty certain that's what it is, but the photos I've seen are not great so perhaps I'm misreading it.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#3    jmccr8

jmccr8

Psychic Spy

• 1,187 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hi Kmt-sesh,

Thanks for posting the picture, if I come across anymore about it I will add it.I scrolled down the page to some other links and found this one interesting as well,as it shows that even common people were buried the the Valley of the Kings.

Almost 3,000-year-old tomb of female singer found in Egypt

At the bottom of the page of this link there are a couple of other links that I will leave it to others to read rather than post them.They deal with embalming one is a brain drain bed and the other is about an embalming chamber.

jmccr8

#4    stereologist

stereologist

Alien Abducter

• 5,436 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

In my trip to Egypt I remember visiting tombs of the wealthy, not pharoahs. These tombs had paintings on the walls that showed more about life in ancient Egypt. Much was these paintings showed the people collecting taxes and punishing tax evaders and so forth. Maybe these people had earned enough to pay for a tomb for themselves.

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,873 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Interesting find :tu:

eta, just realised updated links had been posted so removed mine

Edited by seeder, 24 October 2013 - 07:41 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#6    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,410 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:32 AM

View Postjmccr8, on 24 October 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Hi Kmt-sesh,

Thanks for posting the picture, if I come across anymore about it I will add it.I scrolled down the page to some other links and found this one interesting as well,as it shows that even common people were buried the the Valley of the Kings.

Almost 3,000-year-old tomb of female singer found in Egypt

At the bottom of the page of this link there are a couple of other links that I will leave it to others to read rather than post them.They deal with embalming one is a brain drain bed and the other is about an embalming chamber.

jmccr8

I certainly remember reading about this discovery. More than anything it's a clear reminder that the Valley of the Kings has not been played out—as people have been insisting for the past century. For that matter, the discovery of KV63 in recent years is very vivid evidence of how wrong that notion is.

The burial in your link is that of a temple woman dating to Dynasty 22. By this time, the Valley of the Kings had already been abandoned for a century or more (it was a New Kingdom royal burial ground, and was discontinued at the end of Dynasty 20). Just the same, as I recall, this woman's coffin proved to be an intrusive burial in an older, original tomb in the Valley. If I remember correctly (and I can't guarantee I'm right on this), the original minor tomb comprised a burial of a Dynasty 18 official.

But private people were permitted burial in the Valley, on occasion. The most famous example would be KV46, the tomb of Yuya and Tjuya. These were the parents of Tiye, the Great Wife of Amunhotep III, and hence the great-grandparents of Tutankhamun. But to be sure you had to be someone of high status (at least in the eyes of your king) to be permitted burial in the Valley during the New Kingdom. As for after the New Kingdom, as long as high officials weren't aware of it...eh, sure, help yourself. :w00t:

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#7    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,410 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:42 AM

A word on the word "pyramid." To be honest no one is certain of its etymology, although numerous theories exist. There's no real historical evidence that it means "fire in the middle." This comes more from modern shaky sources. It's altogether possible the word stems from a Greek term for a conical loaf of bread, or from something else in Greek material culture; not surprising, considering so much of the modern vocabulary describing ancient Egypt comes not from Egypt but from ancient Greece. To the victor go the spoils.

The ancient Egyptian word for pyramid was mr. Those two consonants are all that remain of the original word (the vowels are not known), and the etymology of mr itself is not understood. Spartan's quoted definition runs along the right lines but might be a bit askew (not The_Spartan's fault). In later times the usage of definite articles became more common in inscriptions, so there arose the term pA-mr ("the mr," or "the 'pyramid'"). If this is indeed the origin of our word "pyramid"—and I'm not claiming it is so—I for one can't explain where the "-id" suffix came from (pa-mr-id).

I think we can all agree, however, that the pyramids of ancient Egypt were not medical clinics.

That's the word.

Posted Image

Visit My Blog!

#8    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,751 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

something i found

Obmer = tomb
O-O = tomb
O-O = posterity, heir
Wokha tebe = the base of the tomb
Ben ben = obelisk or pyramid
Ben ben = to well up, overflow (also found in Wolof), copulate

(Mr)
Nu.t mer = a pyramid city or a town built up around pyramids
Mer.t -- beyond, on the other side (EWB 308a)
Mer -- to die, dead, death (314b)
Mer = tomb
Merti = dead
Per nheh = house of eternity
Per mer = the enclosure or base of the pyramid
Per Mer ="House of death"
Pa Merti = "The dead"

(Mt)
Met; Mut = death
Metu = man as begetter
Metut = posterity
Per met = house of regeneration/death/posterity

http://www.egyptsear...TML/000488.html

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#9    Lex540

Lex540

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

• I am unique and distinct

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

So they tell me

#10    Emeraldgemheart

Emeraldgemheart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• "In the end, you will always kneel" - Loki

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

That's cool! I wonder what else lies hidden under the sand...

#11    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• 1,029 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

This is whole thread very interesting.

I find it amusing that after thousands of years the human race is increasingly going to pictographs to represent words and concepts.  The newest are the new pictographs going into effect on 2014 on Material Safety Data Sheets or MSDS.  Even that' being shortened to SDS.  Some of the pictographs are obvious, but others need a cation as if you don't know what the pictograph means, you can misinterpet it.  I know why this is being done, so it will be easier to ship products around the globe without having to have every language on the label.

#12    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

I am willing to bet that there are amazing discoveries left to be had buried in the sand, maybe even some unexpected things as well. Exciting stuff.

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,139 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

Awesome find, it's cool how many tombs have not been found yet

#14    LimeGelatin

LimeGelatin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• We were meant to live for so much more...

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

The more we can learn about the past... The more we can grow in modern times... This is very interesting to me...

#15    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

Bet there's more to come under all that sand...

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users