Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

German Computer Scientists 'Prove' God Exists

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,723 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:44 PM

Spiegel said:

Two scientists have formalized a theorem regarding the existence of God penned by mathematician Kurt Gödel. But the God angle is somewhat of a red herring -- the real step forward is the example it sets of how computers can make scientific progress simpler.

As headlines go, it's certainly an eye-catching one. "Scientists Prove Existence of God," German daily Die Welt wrote last week.

But unsurprisingly, there is a rather significant caveat to that claim. In fact, what the researchers in question say they have actually proven is a theorem put forward by renowned Austrian mathematician Kurt Gödel -- and the real news isn't about a Supreme Being, but rather what can now be achieved in scientific fields using superior technology.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,403 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

There's more than one caveat involved in this proof. For example, how do you define a "greater" being? "Greater" in what way? i.e. Are plants "greater" than people because they can use photosynthesis to generate their own food - and environment?

All Godel really proved was that God could be anything, depending on how certain concepts (such as "greater") were defined.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users