Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

sheriff's shoot 13 year old

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#16    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,070 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

There's a reason toy guns are required by law to have unrealistic features, blame whoever gave the kid a realistic toy for this happening.

#17    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,692 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

View Postsupervike, on 24 October 2013 - 12:15 AM, said:

I would like to see more facts before jumping to any conclusions.

Agreed, this doctrine of "Headline first, facts second" irritates the hell out me. Especially when everybody is ready to use that headline as propaganda for whatever crap they got.    :/

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#18    Thanato

Thanato

Alien Abducter

• 4,392 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

View PostEinsteinium, on 24 October 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

The cops are supposed to be highly trained right? So don't they have binoculars that allow them to get a close look at the weapon to determine if it is real or fake?

Seems like the cops modus operandi these days is shoot first and ask questions later. Too bad this kid had to do this these days. Back when my dad was a kid he used to bring his .22 to school, then hunt his way home with it. Oh how times have changed.

If it was an airsoft gun it wouldn't matter until you closely examine In your hands you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#19    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 12,316 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

I'm not reading any extracurricular suppositions into this.   It didn't say the kid pointed the rifle, it didn't note what the kid said, he was simply carrying what looked like an assault rifle.

So now just carrying a rifle provokes police to shoot to kill?    Paranoia will destroy ya.

When my dad was 15 he and his friends would bring guns to high school, and talk to his coaches and teachers in the high school parking lot about them.  What a difference a thick slathering of statism will cause.

"The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the Legislature.  The Executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question" ~ James Madison
"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#20    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,471 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

And once upon a time we sacrificed people to sun gods, and made brown people slaves.

Society moves forward

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#21    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,985 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

Now if the neighbors had guns they could have protected that kid cause 'Murica, Guns, Dale Ernheart.
Posted Image

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#22    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,471 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

I find that offensive.

.....using capt. america's shield like that, he should be ashamed

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#23    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,280 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostYamato, on 24 October 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

I'm not reading any extracurricular suppositions into this.   It didn't say the kid pointed the rifle, it didn't note what the kid said, he was simply carrying what looked like an assault rifle.

So now just carrying a rifle provokes police to shoot to kill? Paranoia will destroy ya.

When my dad was 15 he and his friends would bring guns to high school, and talk to his coaches and teachers in the high school parking lot about them.  What a difference a thick slathering of statism will cause.

We had guns in our trucks in school too. Once a guy accidently shot a hole in his trucks floorboard at school with his "unloaded" 30-30
and police showed up, and just told him to be more careful. Teachers blew it off too, that was the way things were back then.

But nowadays something like that happened, if you aren't shot dead, who knows what else you have to endure. Just the way things are I suppose after all the school incidents.

Edited by Realm, 24 October 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#24    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,710 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostOverSword, on 23 October 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

My condolences to his family.  I'm waiting to hear what the dash cam recorded.

If pointing in the direction it will have recorded police officers shooting and killing a child carrying toy guns.  :(

#25    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,985 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 24 October 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

I find that offensive.

.....using capt. america's shield like that, he should be ashamed

It protects 'Murica from giving healthcare to the poor, limiting the availability of guns, taking away "freedoms", it stops abortions and turns gays straight and muslims into good ol' god fearing christians.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,821 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

It strikes me that guns as toys is a bad message to send kids.

#27    Heru

Heru

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Most kid guns that are meant to look realistic have a bright orange end on the barrel. And is there a recording of the cops telling him to drop the weapon... Dont they all have cameras and audio on there cars?

Now if the kid was walking... I dont know maybe walk behind him and just take the thing. But hay what do I know lets just yell at someone who might be dangerous who has no idea of your presence. And posses no immediate threat to anyone (as in he wasn't making any threatening words or threatening actions). After all im sure  a kid has a shiny ak-47 that doesn't look like a ak-47, walking along not acting unusual like hes trying to hide his presence. Same reason why those cops maced that old lady cause she was dangerous.

#28    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 14,435 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

View PostEldorado, on 24 October 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

If pointing in the direction it will have recorded police officers shooting and killing a child carrying toy guns.  :(
True, but regardless of the camera being pointed at the scene of violence it will also record what was said.  Did the police tell him to drop the gun?  How many times did they give the order?  Did the child say anything, threatening or otherwise?  This is all very important to determine if the police, I hate to say, were prodedurally correct in thier actions.

edit to add: My fears are
  • this may not have been the best nieghborhood
  • this kid is a minority
  • these police decided to err on the side of caution and shoot guy walking down the street with an AK-47

Edited by OverSword, 24 October 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#29    travelnjones

travelnjones

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 24 October 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

That's what i was saying, if they had to shoot at this kid, trying to shoot his leg to just take him down wouldn't make sense for the usual police sidearm, you'd aim for a body shot, since its a wider area and the movement of the bullet would still probably hit the target somewhere

I'm not saying i like any of this, but ryu said something about shot selection, or so i assumed so i was trying to answer it

it was a replica, so it was specifically made to look realistic.

Well except for the orange tip which all of those have.

Freetoroam:  there was a time when every boy had a collection of toy guns and this would have been very normal.  In some places in the country it still is.  Airsoft is a hobby with growing popularity kids playing it in rural settings is sort of the norm.  Santa Rosa like most of non sprawl California has plenty rural or subrural areas.  Even where I live in San Jose "Heart of the Silicon Valley" is on the edge of the city , we have deer and wild turkey by our house.  there is even a sign warning of coyote at the park down the street.  We have an archery range near us so kids on bikes with a bow and arrows is not an uncommon sight.

#30    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,493 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Given other 'dash cam' incidents.  We'll probably never actually get to see or hear it.  The cops seem awfully possesive of those things, unless it protrays them in a good light.

Or, it also seems that they are held up for 'court reasons' and by the time anyone sees it, it's only the family that cares anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users