Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chicago moms' group not easily spooked

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,094 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Most moms' groups meet in someone's living room, maybe at a restaurant. Even the library. But this night, Christie Chaidez, Liz Mason and Theresa Ban are sitting in a dark hallway of an abandoned building. Peeling paint hangs from the ceiling like it's melting off a hot surface, and a musty smell hangs in the cement corridor.

read more: http://www.chicagopa...re/ghosthunters

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,338 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

Whats with the "moms" group thing? I am sure some of the men ghost hunters out there also have children....they do not advertise themselves as " paranormal fathers".
If they want to go on a girly night out hunting ghosts, fine, but the gimmicks are silly.

#3    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,094 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 23 October 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Whats with the "moms" group thing? I am sure some of the men ghost hunters out there also have children....they do not advertise themselves as " paranormal fathers".
If they want to go on a girly night out hunting ghosts, fine, but the gimmicks are silly.
I tried to do a all hamster ghost hunters but they ran away while i was showing them how to use the ghost radar app.

Edited by Brian Topp, 24 October 2013 - 12:22 AM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#4    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

The meter moved!  Priceless.   I'd be more surprised if it didn't.

Edited by sinewave, 24 October 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 23 October 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

What are "variations in electric energy" that their device detects?

#6    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 October 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

What are "variations in electric energy" that their device detects?

What aren't they is more like it.

Any kind of radio signals
RADAR
Live wiring
Transformers
Electrical storms
Cosmic radiation
Magnetosphere
Microwave ovens
Solar activity
Generators
Ignition systems
Computers
People
Anything that has electrical flow or a magnetic field will make the meter move.  There are quite literally thousands more sources.  Any of which could do it.

Edited by sinewave, 24 October 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:56 AM

Except, I suppose, ghosts?  I don't see ghosts going around causing electrical discharges.  If so that's a new one to me.

#8    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,802 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 October 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Except, I suppose, ghosts?  I don't see ghosts going around causing electrical discharges.  If so that's a new one to me.
We get claims and stories being posted here from time to time about ghost hunting expeditions that couldn't get any photos or video of ghosts because ghosts electromagnetic fields drain the batteries from electronic devices.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#9    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

• 3,094 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostJesseCuster, on 24 October 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

We get claims and stories being posted here from time to time about ghost hunting expeditions that couldn't get any photos or video of ghosts because ghosts electromagnetic fields drain the batteries from electronic devices.
I normally class as forgetfulness or buy faultly batteries. I got customers who don't realize that batteries wear down and dont hold a charge for long.

Edited by Brian Topp, 24 October 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

Last time a ghost hovered  over my bedside my hair may have stood on end but it wasn't static electricity.

#11    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 October 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Well, first you have to control out all of those other sources which is difficult.  The average EMF meter wielding, fumbling around in the dark, clod is not going to have the necessary tools much less the knowledge of how to use them.  

Ghost believers in the same breath will tell you that science is not advanced enough to quantify ghosts but then insist their cheap EMF meters can detect them.

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

We live in an electrical world; how on earth could one ever be sure of a pure signal?  I guess that is what you are saying.

#13    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 24 October 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

We live in an electrical world; how on earth could one ever be sure of a pure signal?  I guess that is what you are saying.

Fine question!   The answer is they absolutely cannot.  They ask questions then look at the meter and wait for the tiniest flicker and call it a response.  They lead themselves to believe they are in touch with an entity from the other side when it is more likely the guy down the street just opened his garage door.  Random magnetic flux happens everywhere on earth every day.  Assigning meaning to any of it is silly without doing a crap-load of work to isolate, quantify, and qualify the fields.  The sweaty dude with the $20 EMF meter crawling around in your attic will accomplish nothing beyond pushing himself closer to the intellectual dark ages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users