Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Brainwashing video games

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    BettyTheYeti

BettyTheYeti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

Years ago (the 90s) there was an story going around about certain video games that would, after being played repeatedly, would start to have psychological effects on the gamers.
This was a widely believed rumour in this country, even going as far as making the national news. Parents were up in arms about the "brain washing", despite the fact that after repeated complaints the police found no evidence of this. The culprits was supposed to be the Sega Master System, and the number one game rumoured to get inside you head was none other that Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The story went that it wasn't the flashing screen that would get to you, but the endless looping music.
Effects were supposed to range from people "losing time" in a trance-like state, to people seeing apparitions, to (supposedly) numerous people all waking bolt upright at precisely 1:23 am every night.

Personally, at the time I thought with a game as popular as that everyone would know someone affected by this, but it was always "a friend of a friend". I put it all down to hysteria on the parents part!

Thoughts on this occurrence? And others like it? I remember ready about  a game called Polybius that went along similar lines. Maybe whatever they were up to worked, and that's why everyone owns PS3s and Xbox360s.

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,773 posts

• Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance
    My calmness for Acceptance
    or my kindness for weakness

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

Whatever. I don't listen to garbage like that. The people who come up with this manure are often the same ones who screech that every line and squiggle is an Illuminati symbol.
None of this can affect you if you do not buy into their fear mongering.

#3    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

in  1982 i worked  in  the  marketing  division  of  a small publishing  companys  , graghic  arts  department .
when  the  work  got  slow , we  very  often  would  cut  computer  listings  into seprate  pages,  and  enter  all  the  data  on  the  pages  into  other  data  bases.

i  asked  what  we  were  doing?  and  was  told...

"  you  give  me  any  set of qualitys  ...  and  in  30  seconds  ,  i  can  give  you a list  of  people who  have  thse  qualitys.
i  can  give  you  there   street  address ,  phone  numbers  , what  their  home  is  worth ,  what  their  monthly  bills  are...
any  detail  or  aspect  of  their  life ...  "  
in  the  1980's   this  was  common  place  in  advertising ...    we  call  them  mailing lists .

in  the  1970's  supermarkets  spent  million  of  man  hours  looking  at  how  people  moved  thru  their  stores .
nothing  in  a super  market  is  done  by accident ...  (  may be  in  europe  it  is )...   every  thing  is  designed  to  get  people  to  leave  dollors  in  side  the  store .

in  1990's  flicker  rates  were  used  to  help  people  sit  thru  long  movies...   it  helpped  in  bladder  control .
they  have  used   low  freq  noise   to  calm  people...   the  color  salmon pink  is  used  in  prisons  to  reduce  violance  with  the  side  effect  of  homosexual  behavior  that  is known  to be  residual .
in  the  1700's  the  british  crown   passed  laws  makeing  rum  ratio's  a seamans  right..   to  calm  frictions  aboard  ship .

in  2000'  american  serviceman  are  regualarly  give   drugs  to  calm  them  down  and  help them  make  it  thru  their  stressful  day...  these  drugs  have  known  residual  side  effects .

to  suggest  that  vidio  game  marketing  is  not  active  in  making their  products  addictyive....   is  comical  in  the  abserd.
OF  COURSE  THEY  ARE!

Durrrr!

if  you do  not  beleive  they  are  not  activly  selling political massages   and product specific advertising  with  in  every  game  you touch....   your  living  in  a frigging  dream world ...

the  only  game  makers  that  are  not  doing this  activly...  are  the  babys  who  are  just  getting  started.
only because  they  have  not  learned  how  much  money  is  involved .

of  course  this  is  going  on...   do  you  for  one  moment  think  that  advertising  is  suddenly  going  to  grow  a halo  and  sprout  wings ?  residual  advertising  in  movies  and  T.V.  series  has  never  been more than  a fractional  income  stream ...  of  more  than  a few  hundred  million dollors ...   but  its   off  the  books   ,  and  quiet  money  that  no one  reports  or  sees .

in  vidio  gamers...   it  can  be  the  diffrence  between  the  people  at the  top  making  minimum wage  and  bank .
the  talent  very  likly will never  see  this  ,  or  even  know  that  it  happens...
the  people  who  do  this  do  not  talk about  how it  is  done  or  when  it  is  done...

no  one  wins  if  it  gets  exposed...  so  it  is  not  exposed ...   does  it  happen....  does  3:09 happen  (  twice  a day! every day...  like  clock work)

#4    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

Without any concrete proof, those are just baseless allegations.

#5    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

people "losing time" in a trance-like state

Anyone who has either played a video game they were really into or saw someone else do it has probably experienced this: not on some psychological fugue level, but just "gee. where did the time go?"

I'm not saying all this stuff is true at all, but I think any continuous or looped input experienced for multiple hours - sometimes the majority of waking hours - every day has some affect on people.

Embrace the impossible.

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,196 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

People lose time all the time when reading books too.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

View Postsupervike, on 25 October 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

Without any concrete proof, those are just baseless allegations.

like  seeing  coke  ,  Dr Pepper  , or  pepsi  in  movies  and  t.v. series ... R.J.R renolds  spends  a good  peice  of  change on advertising...  where  is  that  money  going?  

frankly speaking,  finding  it  is  not  as  easy  .  mind  control  in  vidio  games  is  not  complex...   but  it  is  there.

i  should  add  that  books have  low  level  advertising  in  it.

CTB  mcGrawhill ,  the  single  largest  student  testing  publisher  in  the  world  has  guidelines
about  graphic content  in  their  tests...   so  meny  black people  ,  so  meny  hispanic ,  wheel chair  or  handi capped ....   no  tobaco products of  any  kind (  no  cigars  , no pipes ,  no  cigaretes ) .

police  will  be  taller  than  every  one  near  them...

ctb McGrawhill  writes  the  rules   in  texas....   and  texas  writes  the  rules for  the  united  states...   and  the  united  states  writes  the  rules  for  the  world ...
...   and  the  rule book  is  all  about  political  correctness....  and  subliminal  massage

Edited by onereaderone, 25 October 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#8    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,305 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

View Postonereaderone, on 25 October 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

frankly speaking,  finding  it  is  not  as  easy  .  mind  control  in  vidio  games  is  not  complex...   but  it  is  there.
Do you have any evidence of this?

#9    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,891 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

I know movie theaters or at least one movie theater would flash popcorn on the screen to fast for people top be aware, but the subconscious noticed. And popcorn sales went up. But then people found out about this and the public flipped out so the government made laws making it illegal.

Just my random tidbit of knowledge. :su

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,900 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I think brainwashing with video games is kind of the nature of the beast.  BUY MORE VIDEO GAMES......

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#11    BettyTheYeti

BettyTheYeti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

Here's the Polybius story I remember: http://en.wikipedia....ius_(video_game)

I remember hearing from a friend that California Games was another of the "mind-bending" games, and at the time actually put me off playing it!

#12    tipsy_munchkin

tipsy_munchkin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

• We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 25 October 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

I know movie theaters or at least one movie theater would flash popcorn on the screen to fast for people top be aware, but the subconscious noticed. And popcorn sales went up. But then people found out about this and the public flipped out so the government made laws making it illegal.

Just my random tidbit of knowledge. :su

I read that later studies found this doesn't work and that the original study had serious flaws. I will try and find it later if I get time.

*     I'm pink therefore i'm spam     *

#13    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,891 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Posttipsy_munchkin, on 26 October 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I read that later studies found this doesn't work and that the original study had serious flaws. I will try and find it later if I get time.

Thanks if you do. I'd be interested in reading a updated study about it

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#14    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,277 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:10 AM

It just so happens that I am an expert at Sonic the Hedgehog 2

The game is fine, there is nothing wrong with it, there are no side effects.

now excuse me while i go grab these 50 rings so i can enter the code and turn into SUper SKeptic

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#15    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Really that game? I would think from Sega they would get angry
about the SplatterHouse games...
those were full of evil and demonic characters and music..

Sonic 1 and 2 were fun.. and probably the most innocent games for Sega....

I'd say Splatterhouse 2 and 3 on Sega were much worse !

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users