Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dont sign this toxic charter to gag the Press

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:54 PM

• Press freedom organisations write to Queen urging her not to sign a Royal Charter drawn up by politicians to oversee regulation of the British Press
  • Warn her the 'toxic' charter will have 'chilling' effect on journalism in UK
  • It will also be used by dictators around the world to muzzle their own Press
  • Signed by bodies including the World Press Freedom Committee, International Press Institute and Commonwealth Press Union Media Trust
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,157 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

Ah yes, british Journalism, that paragon of decency and standing up for Truth and Justice.
And crap about people who aren't celebrities. Incessantly.
What I think they need isn't to "muzzle the Press", it's some way to make sure that what they print is worthwhile and isn't either meaningless crap or malicious drivel. Some kind of quality control.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,157 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

The irony, for instance, that the Dreary Mail, whose motto is "it's all the fault of Immigrants", is at the forefront of Fighting for press Freedom. Like they're bothered about Freedom, they're worried about any legislation that might force them to tell the truth rather than banging on endlessly about their tired old prejudices.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 24 October 2013 - 07:06 PM.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

The press should be free to report as it sees fit - however they need to be held accountable for what they print... If what they print is found to be a pack of lies (more and more common nowdays) then
they should pay the price for it... Not just print some small obscure retraction on page 19 under the adverts for adult diapers...
Stiff penalties for falsehoods should be required...

Since they don't put 'editorial comment' on the 'editorial page' anymore - they just call that the story, the press should be penalized for slanting the news to favor their party (all sides do this)...
They should at least TRY to appear non-political...

#5    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

yeah..  just  like the  internet .  we  need  the  same  kinds of  restrictions  that  have worked so well  in the print media.

lets give  them  all this power  to filter  and subvert the  content and the quality of  every word you read.
so  that  your  all  snugglie  and  warm  in  the  toilet  paper  you  eat .

the  answer  is  so simple  it  is  frightening  to  all  of  you...

make  all  political  speach  tax  exsempt ...   but  all  entertainment  may  be  taxed  as  a business.
make  the  law  with  out  exsemptions  or  quaifications...    all  free  speach  , political  speach ,  points  of  veiw  ...
news...   any  thing  that  is  truth  is  tax  exsempt

fiction  ,  fantacy  ,  made  up  storys   ...  and  entertainment   can  be  taxed ...

every  thing  will  sort  out  nicely ...

also ...   you  might  make  any thing annonumus  (  fiction  or fact )  political speach ...

if  you have  a brain  in  your  head...   you  would folow  this  up  with  some thing  just  as  simple...

whistel  blowers   protection  ....  useing  high sea salvage  laws  as  your  pattern  or  model.

#6    onereaderone

onereaderone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

• interfacing transdimentional inverse mobius feed back loop

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

i  should  point out  that  time/warner ...  disney....  universal....   all  would  have to  shed  their  news  divisions( sell them  off  as  sepreate  companys)  or  crash them  ...  because  local  stand  alones  would  run  tax  free...   while  these  other  giants   would  operate  with  tax  burdens  so  large they  would  suck  the  parent  company  dry .

i  need  to  point  out also...   this  means  that  reporters  and  news anchormen  would  be  tax exsempt also..    the  radio staions  would  run  tax free..  all  these  people  would  not  be  subject  to  any  kind  of  tax....  
but  actors  ,  movie  companys  ,  theater ...  magizines ...  would  still  be  in  the  entertainment  business ...    for  about  30  second!

suddenly  ,  every  thing  would  be  "reality  "   or  " informational"  or   " documentory"

so be  careful  what  you wish  for.   you may  get  it.

the  blue  pill  tastes  better....    and  the  red pill  has  serious  down  sides...
but  understand  that  clearity  comes  at  a very  high  cost.

Edited by onereaderone, 24 October 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#7    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

God the press are a joke

View PostTaun, on 24 October 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

The press should be free to report as it sees fit - however they need to be held accountable for what they print... If what they print is found to be a pack of lies (more and more common nowdays) then
they should pay the price for it... Not just print some small obscure retraction on page 19 under the adverts for adult diapers...
Stiff penalties for falsehoods should be required...

Since they don't put 'editorial comment' on the 'editorial page' anymore - they just call that the story, the press should be penalized for slanting the news to favor their party (all sides do this)...
They should at least TRY to appear non-political...
Its not that, its the hacking people's phones on private lives and harassing anyone that has done something bad. They all jump on the band wagon, there is no control on them.
The press only care about money, not people's lives, for example chasing celebs all the time, why dont they post something useful?

#8    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,169 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

The Press ! used to report items honourably,why does this no longer happen, because they have over the last few years been allowed to get away with Lying.Mis-reporting subjects and twisting the truth.I have no sympathy so I declare SAVE A TREE stop buying rubbish papers as I have 10 years ago.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#9    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

Well the press failed but will appeal

#10    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,954 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 24 October 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

The Press ! used to report items honourably,why does this no longer happen, because they have over the last few years been allowed to get away with Lying.Mis-reporting subjects and twisting the truth.I have no sympathy so I declare SAVE A TREE stop buying rubbish papers as I have 10 years ago.

i agree, and so do many others, the sale figures for every news paper is dwindling every single year and not by a small margin, but by the thousands on average 20,000. the print media is dying. and they've got more desperate in recent years and i believe that is why they have stooped to such lows.

we've all heard the saying the Free press is needed crucial in a democracy. well its simply not true anymore, technology, mobile phones etc...will do more to preserve democracy in the years ahead - the printed media cannot even keep up with the pace of social media.

Edited by stevewinn, 30 October 2013 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users