Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Families plagued by cricket balls

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

Good!  Learning to smash windows will help teach our aspiring cricketers to smash the Aussies in future years!  

Bring on the Ashes!

Edited by Walter White, 27 October 2013 - 12:28 AM.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

#17    acidhead

GOV Debt Slave

• 11,279 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

I believe this is a private property issue.  Once the cricket ball leaves the private property of the cricket club and smashes the window on another individual's private property the responsibility lies with the cricket club to pay damages.  

Comments here in this thread have suggested that this issue is the same as noise and smell complaints from farms and airports.

They differ because while noise and smells are disturbing they haven't crossed the boundaries of protecting property rights while the smashing of an  individual's window is a crystal clear violation of infringing on another individuals private property.

BUT, if the cricket club was there before the house (s) was built then its tbe responsibility of the home owner to erect a safety net and/or have adequate insurance to protect their property from the additional expense of broken windows.

If it can be proven that a ball was intentionally hit towards a house with mallace intent then the responsibility would revert back to the individual who hit the ball and/or the cricket club.

I think most would hope any individual who accidently smashed the homeowners window would offer to pay the deductible.  Any decent self conscious individual wouldn't think twice about paying.

Edited by acidhead, 27 October 2013 - 11:43 PM.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users