Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Women 'better at multitasking' than men

multitasking men women tasks myth

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,864 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

It's not a myth - women really are better than men at multitasking, at least in certain cases, a study says.

Men were slower and less organised than women when switching rapidly between tasks in tests by UK psychologists.

Both sexes struggled to cope with juggling priorities, but men suffered more on average, according to the paper in the journal BMC Psychology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-24645100

Posted Image

#2    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• 3,093 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hang-on, I'll reppyl propprly in a munte. Busy listnenig to the tv rihgt now. ;)

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#3    Emeraldgemheart

Emeraldgemheart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• "In the end, you will always kneel" - Loki

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Ha! Now I can show this to my boyfriend!

"You may think I'm insane.. And you'd be totally right!" ~Me

"Don't look behind you, your dog's watching." ~My friend

"Doth mother know you wear-eth her drapes?" ~Iron Man

#4    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,031 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

In other news, another study have proven conclusively that the Pope is, in fact, Catholic.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,928 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

I find this subject extremely interesting and it is common knowledge that women are indeed......................

Sorry, can you just give me a minute, I just a text that I have to re-park my car.

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,065 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

Excellent news, I'll just sit back and let you dear ladies get on with it then. Can you fetch me another beer whilst you're cleaning the fridge, please?

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,317 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 24 October 2013 - 09:02 PM, said:

It's not a myth - women really are better than men at multitasking, at least in certain cases, a study says.

Men were slower and less organised than women when switching rapidly between tasks in tests by UK psychologists.

Both sexes struggled to cope with juggling priorities, but men suffered more on average, according to the paper in the journal BMC Psychology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-24645100
Yes I know very well that men are frail creatures. But there is a balance. But I'm Maried. I'm a not allowed to disclose the weekneses of women ;)

Edited by White Crane Feather, 25 October 2013 - 12:25 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#8    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,889 posts

• A belief should be freely chosen or not chosen, not demanded or ordered nor come should it come at the end of a fist or rifle.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

Actually there is no such thing as "multi-tasking" as I read but rather the ability to quickly switch between several tasks.
You can only do one thing at a time but one can have many things going and some can switch rapidly between them to keep it all going.

Nonetheless women in general seem to be more adept at this.

Mind, this is what I read.

#9    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,574 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

Actually there is no such thing as "multi-tasking" as I read but rather the ability to quickly switch between several tasks.

I disagree. I regularly crochet or embroider, dictate non-fiction and listed to music or a tv show at the same time. Everything gets done well enough for my purposes.

Embrace the impossible.

#10    We are lizard people

We are lizard people

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

View PostEmeraldgemheart, on 24 October 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Ha! Now I can show this to my boyfriend!

Show it to him while you are making him a sandwich and I bet he'll be even more impressed!

Also tagged with multitasking, men, women, tasks, myth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users