Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Royal Mail plans to help cold callers

royal mail cold callers barcodes marketing salesman

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,298 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Households face a bombardment of cold calls and unwanted post in a new junk mail offensive.

Royal Mail, which has just been privatised, is putting barcodes on letters, allowing it to tell firms when their marketing messages have been delivered.

Armed with this information, these companies' salesmen can make follow-up phone calls and send text messages.

http://www.dailymail...cold-calls.html

Posted Image

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,516 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

All junk mail from letterbox to waste bin in three easy steps without opening.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,145 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Always handy for the log burner.

But I do not get junk mail and my bank statements are all online.

This is just the start of what the mail will be doing and why is it stilled called Royal mail?......all complaints about this should be forwarded to the Queen,

Edited by freetoroam, 26 October 2013 - 04:20 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#4    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Any junk mail I receive will be collected for a year and handed back to the postman to dispose of. Why should I waste valuable space in my bin.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 26 October 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#5    Setton

Setton

Psychic Spy

• 1,550 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

My favourite one is when they include a return envelope. Just shred the stuff and post it back to them :D

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#6    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostSetton, on 26 October 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

My favourite one is when they include a return envelope. Just shred the stuff and post it back to them :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's done that. :tu:

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,145 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 26 October 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Any junk mail I receive will be collected for a year and handed back to the postman to dispose of. Why should I waste valuable space in my bin.
A YEAR? you could make sand out of it, you`ll have so much.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, It will be worth it to see the look on the postman's face.

#9    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 26 October 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

Yeah, It will be worth it to see the look on the postman's face.

You may as well chew out a waitress for bad food, complain to a cashier about the high prices or swear at park rangers because it's raining. It serves no purpose other than to make another person's day more miserable. But if it makes you happy who cares?

#10    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 October 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

You may as well chew out a waitress for bad food, complain to a cashier about the high prices or swear at park rangers because it's raining. It serves no purpose other than to make another person's day more miserable. But if it makes you happy who cares?
Exactly.

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 26 October 2013 - 06:46 PM, said:

Exactly.

I'll bet you've had some nasty stuff in your food at restaurants. :w00t:   Not to mention what hotel staff will do with your toothbrush, drinking glasses and pillows. :devil:

#12    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostMichelle, on 26 October 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I'll bet you've had some nasty stuff in your food at restaurants. :w00t:   Not to mention what hotel staff will do with your toothbrush, drinking glasses and pillows. :devil:
Because of my thoughts on junk mail? Ok then, I wouldn't think it would concern workers in the hospitality industry but if you say so it must be true. In future i will keep quiet about my thoughts on junk mail whilst dining out, Especially whilst in earshot of waiting staff, Thanks for the tip :)

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 26 October 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#13    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 26 October 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Because of my thoughts on junk mail? Ok then, I wouldn't think it would concern workers in the hospitality industry but if you say so it must be true. In future i will keep quiet about my thoughts on junk mail whilst dining out, Especially whilst in earshot of waiting staff, Thanks for the tip :)

My apologies...I thought you kept up with the progression of the conversation.

#14    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

But how did it go from me saying (tongue in cheek, I might add) what i said to how i would treat restaurant workers etc, It didn't make any sense, I would never be rude to somebody working in a restaurant, shop etc (unless they were rude to me first). I seriously doubt i would bother storing the junk mail for a year (Although i do hate tidying up) My problem is not with the postman, And I would tell them that.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 26 October 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#15    Black Red Devil

Black Red Devil

Mean as Hell

• 2,355 posts

• I would if I could
    But I can't, so I won't

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

I don't see where Royal Mail is at fault for junk mail ending up in your letter box.  They deliver what others pay them to do!!  It's called business.

As for the barcode.  It's for tracking and tracing and not specific to junk mail.  It's also for analysing service performance.  I doubt there is a relationship between the address and the barcode.

We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell

- Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users