Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Stonehenge's secret revealed at last. Maybe..

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

And I reckon this proposed reason, is a fair one, as good as any so far Id say....

'Stonehenge's secret revealed at last': Ice Age man was drawn to nearby pools which never froze over

* Warm spring is just walking distance from the stones
* They explain why mesolithic settlers were in the area
* Post ice-age wildlife would have flocked to the water

The age-old secret of why Stonehenge was built where it was can now be revealed, according to historians.

The reason for the stone monument's location has remained one of the great unsolved mysteries of British prehistory, with no one theory accepted as correct.

But now a team of scientists working in Amesbury, a short distance from where the landmark sits on a hillside, believe the discovery of a warm water spring could be the key to solving the riddle.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail...froze-over.html

typos

Edited by seeder, 26 October 2013 - 05:41 PM.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

What difference do these so called revelations make to anything?

The real mystery is how was it achieved and why?  Why did the builders chose two distinct types of stones?

The OP misses the point completely.

Posted Image

#3    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

humorless feminist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I think that finding the reason stonehenge was built where it was to be quite worthwhile, actually.  Why is it so worthless to you?

#4    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,398 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

I would think, zoser, that part of the mystery does indeed lie not just in how it was built but why.

Anyways, the article is interesting but it doesn't really address the monument directly but only the local geography.

Still, to have open water in the winter IS still quite an advantage for all life. Imagine having game to hunt all year round.

Edited by Ryu, 26 October 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#5    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,674 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Because there's no single bit of conclusive evidence linking the two? I mean, those pools didn't go anywhere. If the theory is that compelling, it would have occurred to /somebody/ else once in a millennia. Besides, there are other hot springs around the world, and they don't have crukking great temple complexes, so it's clearly not a direct causal link.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#6    taniwha

taniwha

Psychic Spy

• 1,204 posts

• ~ As a shadow is to the body, so the body is to the Soul ~

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

Why oh why has it taken so long to make the connection between stonehenge and hotpools is the real mystery... It seems so obvious now...

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

The article in the OP states the pools were 'walking distance',  But so is 20 miles, :lol: So, see the google map for the distance from Amesbury where the pools are, then just look left for Stonehenge

And why not zoom in on Stonehenge in map view, no pools/waters/lakes are so nearby

https://maps.google....Q&ved=0CKMBELYD

So that could be a reason no-one linked it before,  Plus the pools were on a private estate, as per this from the story

"A small series of shallow pools close to Stonehenge have remained undisturbed for tens of thousands of years. Hidden in a private estate and surrounded by trees, the inconspicuous plot which sits alongside the A303 in Amesbury, is believed to be a mesolithic landscape dating back to 7,596BC.

typos

Edited by seeder, 26 October 2013 - 09:02 PM.

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

View Postpatagonianhorsesnake, on 26 October 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

I think that finding the reason stonehenge was built where it was to be quite worthwhile, actually.  Why is it so worthless to you?

Because he always trys to steer threads in his direction with baited questions like that, and of course we all know zoser will insist aliens had something to do with it

#9    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

humorless feminist

• 1,076 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

for what it's worth, i don't think this is conclusive "this is the reason stonehenge was built here wow amazing", but it is an interesting piece of evidence. a possible reason that the area would have appealed to ancient people. there is no direct evidence, but it's something to explore further.

#10    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postjaylemurph, on 26 October 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Because there's no single bit of conclusive evidence linking the two? I mean, those pools didn't go anywhere. If the theory is that compelling, it would have occurred to /somebody/ else once in a millennia. Besides, there are other hot springs around the world, and they don't have crukking great temple complexes, so it's clearly not a direct causal link.

--Jaylemurph

'Bath' in in the UK had a huge Roman temple, many other hot springs also have ancient buildings. Kinda makes sense doesnt it?

#11    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

Thank you!  Some people tend to overthink things.  I am grateful for the information and my mind is running in circles, thinking about the sacred well at Glastonbury and such.  There was always a feeling of magic about the place.  Isn't it just interesting to know something new?

#12    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hmm another interesting theory I'll just put that away with the other 9999 and maybe if you borrow a little from each one you might just get the answer, or at least another good theory.  :yes:

#13    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,679 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 26 October 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Hmm another interesting theory I'll just put that away with the other 9999 and maybe if you borrow a little from each one you might just get the answer, or at least another good theory.  :yes:

It will always be an issue for historians to know things accurately,  with the most obvious reason being there's no-one left from those times to ask!! Without written, or pictorial records available, most sites like this can be head scratchers for sure. Sometimes its good to not know, because then your brain becomes engaged in problem solving

Like why did Georgia get its own "Stonehenge" with carved rules or instructions for mankind, and population sizes? What would future people think of that?

Posted Image

http://en.wikipedia....es#Inscriptions

Edited by seeder, 26 October 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#14    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,018 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

A good enough reason if any:)

#15    cladking

cladking

Telekinetic

• 7,618 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

I've got to believe they are on the right track; all ancient megalithic and most ancient
sites generally will be found to depend on water.

As far as how they transported the stones, this too, probably depended on water; fro-
zen water or snow was used in conjunction with sleds that made friction insignificant
in the their transport.

This will come to be seen as obvious.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users