Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 5 votes

How ghosts can exist - scientific overview

ghosts scientif explanation

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#91    The Exorcist

The Exorcist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Pretty much a bull**** article, written by someone with not too much education. The writer randomly capitalises certain words (e.g. 'Ghost'), as if they were proper nouns. In my mind, someone who can't even grasp basic spelling and grammar concepts, is not equipped to discuss the existence of ghosts. Mind you, she/he doesn't even appear to me making any arugement whatsoever in the article. She/he even started off completely on the wrong foot - "Ghosts are simply souls of the demised looming around in a reality parallel to ours, confused? don’t worry." - oh yeah, ghost are souls of the demised? How the hell did she/he come to that conclusion? You don't start an argument on ghosts by basing it on an unproven premise. The rest of the article is just a meaningless 'explanation' of the five senses, coupled with some baseless nonsense.

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

#92    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostExorcist, on 08 November 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Pretty much a bull**** article, written by someone with not too much education. The writer randomly capitalises certain words (e.g. 'Ghost'), as if they were proper nouns. In my mind, someone who can't even grasp basic spelling and grammar concepts, is not equipped to discuss the existence of ghosts. Mind you, she/he doesn't even appear to me making any arugement whatsoever in the article. She/he even started off completely on the wrong foot - "Ghosts are simply souls of the demised looming around in a reality parallel to ours, confused? don’t worry." - oh yeah, ghost are souls of the demised? How the hell did she/he come to that conclusion? You don't start an argument on ghosts by basing it on an unproven premise. The rest of the article is just a meaningless 'explanation' of the five senses, coupled with some baseless nonsense.

I am afraid is is pretty typical of the scientific and intelligent pro-ghost discussions.

#93    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 12,238 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 08 November 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

The NDE is a relatively new, Western cultural phenomenon, one that I never heard of in the States until maybe twenty years ago and is still unheard of here.

It's kinda like alien kidnappings that way.  Once the story got currency lots of others reported very similar events.  The same thing can be said of visions of the Virgin Mary, various ghost encounters, Sasquatch encounters, and a host of other reports.  I conclude that there are a lot of people who respond to suggestion.
NDEs/OBEs have been around for all of human history. It's the phenomenon responsible for ideas of an afterlife. Now certainly NDEs are much more common now, but that's what we would expect. A strong correlation between increases in modern medical technology and incidents of NDEs.

Obviously if you had a heart attack 100 years ago there were no doctors that could revive you to tell the story.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#94    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 08 November 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

NDEs/OBEs have been around for all of human history. It's the phenomenon responsible for ideas of an afterlife. Now certainly NDEs are much more common now, but that's what we would expect. A strong correlation between increases in modern medical technology and incidents of NDEs.

Obviously if you had a heart attack 100 years ago there were no doctors that could revive you to tell the story.

It is probably a factor in the afterlife belief.  I don't know if I would say it is the cause.

I agree, NDE would be more common today with current medical tech.

#95    francis da don

francis da don

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostExorcist, on 08 November 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

It is important to make use of belief in one's reasoning.

#96    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postfrancis da don, on 08 November 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

It is important to make use of belief in one's reasoning.

Why do you say that?

#97    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,452 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

View Postsinewave, on 08 November 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Why do you say that?
Because that appears to be all he has, beliefs.

#98    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostWhite Crane Feather, on 02 November 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Hmmmmm .... actually science can only explain to a degree of why which ultimately means It cannot explain why at all. You can pose any question and there are quit a number if whys in the components until the great mystery is reached then "why" can no longer be answered by science.

Why does there have to be a 'why?'

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#99    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostDKO, on 08 November 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

Why does there have to be a 'why?'

Because forcing the "why" give us so many opportunities to invent psychobabble.

Also tagged with ghosts, scientif, explanation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users