Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ghostly Shape of ‘Coldest Place in Universe’

nebulae planetary nebulae boomerang nebula pgc 3074547 nrao

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,582 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

ALMA Reveals Ghostly Shape of ‘Coldest Place in the Universe’

National Radio Astronomy Observatory said:

At a cosmologically crisp one degree Kelvin (minus 458 degrees Fahrenheit), the Boomerang Nebula is the coldest known object in the Universe – colder, in fact, than the faint afterglow of the Big Bang, which is the natural background temperature of space.

Astronomers using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) telescope have taken a new look at this intriguing object to learn more about its frigid properties and to determine its true shape, which has an eerily ghost-like appearance.

Posted Image Source

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Joe2112

Joe2112

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Don't forget your long johns.

#3    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,676 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

What surprises me is that his object is actually quite close, yet energetic. Can it really be just 1 Kelvin degrees? I would have surmised that any energy (sufficient to cause expansion of the planetary nebula) to be well in excess of this value.

Perhaps, Waspie, you could enlighten us as to how an energetic object at this presumed temperature, has sufficient energy to drive expansion?

Why is such a close, expanding object, so cold? Why is the furthest object at 35 Billion Light Years distance (I get the Expanding Universe concept - but do not accept that we have a Universe expanding at multiples of the speed of light) actually much more distant that the presumed age of the universe

What are we truly measuring? Are our measurement techniques at risk of being incorrect? Are we extrapolating theories beyond their capabilities to offer fidelity?

I just dont get it....

Edited by keithisco, 29 October 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#4    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

How do they know the temperature of something so far away?

#5    Rhino666

Rhino666

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 29 October 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

What surprises me is that his object is actually quite close, yet energetic. Can it really be just 1 Kelvin degrees? I would have surmised that any energy (sufficient to cause expansion of the planetary nebula) to be well in excess of this value.

Perhaps, Waspie, you could enlighten us as to how an energetic object at this presumed temperature, has sufficient energy to drive expansion?

Why is such a close, expanding object, so cold? Why is the furthest object at 35 Billion Light Years distance (I get the Expanding Universe concept - but do not accept that we have a Universe expanding at multiples of the speed of light) actually much more distant that the presumed age of the universe

What are we truly measuring? Are our measurement techniques at risk of being incorrect? Are we extrapolating theories beyond their capabilities to offer fidelity?

I just dont get it....

Me neither.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,582 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 29 October 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

I think you'll need a physicist for this, not an ex-chemist.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,676 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 29 October 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

I think you'll need a physicist for this, not an ex-chemist.

LOL Waspie, but I know what you mean. As an aeronautical engineer with a passing amateur interest in pure physics some things fall well beneath my radar of understanding :tu:

#8    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

Coldest place in the (observable) universe

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

We measure its temperature from details of its spectrum.

I would assume energy has been taken out of it by the expansion.  That tends to cool things a bit as energy is consumed pushing outward.

#10    woopypooky

woopypooky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

how can stars be cold? they emit lights.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Sorry this is not stars but a nebula, which is typically very very rarefied gas or dust.

#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,989 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 30 October 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

We measure its temperature from details of its spectrum.

I would assume energy has been taken out of it by the expansion.  That tends to cool things a bit as energy is consumed pushing outward.

The problem with that is CMB. CMB is everywhere and is hotter than the observed temperature of the nebula. Things only cool when they expand, if the space they are expanding into is less energetic (i.e. cooler). In this case that is not true. In theory, nothing should be naturally cooler than the temperature of empty space which, with CMB pervading it, is ~2.7 Kelvin.

Edited by Leonardo, 30 October 2013 - 01:17 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    Twin

Twin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
    Winston Churchill

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:18 AM

It seems improbable that the most extreme "anything" would be that close to our little corner of the universe.

BTW, I hate when then and than are confused (see the first sentence). I hate it almost as much as when people use BTW, BTW.

Edited by Twin, 03 November 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#14    Belial

Belial

Devilish chappy.

• 4,417 posts

• dogs bark cats meow i fart go figure?

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

That be god that :tu:

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

Kick a habit - i never did like Tolkien...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users