Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UN meeting tackles asteroid threats

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• News Writer
  • 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Distinguished scientists and astronauts met to discuss asteroid mitigation strategies on Friday.

Hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, the event centered around developing and implementing an international contingency plan to defend the planet against an apocalyptic impact from an asteroid.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...steroid-threats

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,229 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:22 AM

I hope that someone is watching the sky for objects falling to Earth.  Wouldn't want an extinction event to occur because of "budget cutbacks".

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,283 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

I was going to say this was Bull, but then I saw Neil deGrasse Tyson hosting it and suddenly I had hope for the future.

I beleive there is lots of things we can do about asteroids, it is only a matter of what are we willing to spend.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,087 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 30 October 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

I hope that someone is watching the sky for objects falling to Earth.  Wouldn't want an extinction event to occur because of "budget cutbacks".

I once read somewhere that the amount of people actively looking for asteroids that pose a threat to earth is enough to staff a single Mcdonalds restaurant i.e less then 50.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#5    paperdyer

paperdyer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postjesspy, on 30 October 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

I once read somewhere that the amount of people actively looking for asteroids that pose a threat to earth is enough to staff a single Mcdonalds restaurant i.e less then 50.
With the technology available, does the number of people looking need to be higher?  I would think that we'd only start tracking objects that enter the Milky Way and objects that come close to the asteroid belt.  Depending on the size of the object anything we do may be a moot point.  I wonder if it would be possible to place an object in orbit around the Sun at a 90° angle to the orbits of the planets without eventually colliding with one or having it's orbit changed due to being too close to one.  If it was possible we should be able to get a broader-based telemetry on spacial objects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users