Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Five Days of Flares and CMEs

sun solar flares cme soho

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,939 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

NASA | Five Days of Flares and CMEs

This movie shows 23 of the 26 M- and X-class flares on the sun between 1800 UT Oct. 23 and 1500 UT Oct. 28, 2013, as captured by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory. It also shows the coronal mass ejections -- great clouds of solar material bursting off the sun into space -- during that time as captured by the ESA/NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory. Music: "Stella Nova" by Lars Leonhard, courtesy of the artist and Ultimae records. www.lars-leonhard.de / www.ultimae.com

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,939 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

NASA SDO & NASA/ESA SOHO - Lots Of Activity

There is lots of activity going on in this view of our Sun from October 25 to October 28, 2013.

Here we are showing the view from two different instruments on two different spacecrafts. The view of the Sun is taken by my AIA instrument in the 304 wavelength. The outside is from the NASA/ESA SOHO mission and their LASCO C2 instrument. The LASCO instrument is a corongraph.

A coronagraph is a telescope that is designed to block light coming from the solar disk, in order to see the extremely faint emission from the region around the Sun, called the corona.

Credit: NASA SDO & NASA/ESA SOHO

Source: NASA/SDO - Facebook

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

After a rather quiet 11 year cycle peak, we are seeing a lot of activity. So, what happens if the Earth happens to be concurrently experiencing a geomagnetic field reversal? Given my limited understanding of Earth's geomagnetic field reversals, I am led to believe these can be temporary or permanent but that the Earth's protective magnetic field is slightly diminished. So, I would expect that alignment of high solar activity and a slightly diminished magnetic field on Earth would allow a higher than normal amount of radiation to reach the surface of the Earth. This prompted my curiosity as to whether any research has been done with regard to the geomagnetic field reversals or Earth, solar peaks, and increased species mutations.

#4    LimeGelatin

LimeGelatin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• We were meant to live for so much more...

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

"Danger Will Robinson..."

#5    AlienDan

AlienDan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

I like the music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users