Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

'Rape victims can be partly responsible

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

• Barbara Hewson questioned whether rape victims are 'utterly innocent'
  • She argued they can have 'moral responsibility' at a university debate
  • She also challenged the idea that 'victimisation must always be respected'
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

POPULAR

Clearly if women leave the house we are inviting men to rape us, Thank you Miss Hewson for clearing that up for me. Also, Women are guilty of the crime of possessing a vagina, All these years we have been blaming the rapists! How wrong were we! A few weeks ago I was walking to catch my bus early in the morning to get to work when some lowlife druggy got a knife to me and tried to mug me . Someone came along and scared him off, But was that in fact my fault for having a job that requires me to leave the house, Should I employ a bodyguard ??

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 01 November 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#3    George Ford

George Ford

Shadow Slayer

• 2,605 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Ms Hewson is clearly an idiot, that photo of her gormless stare pretty much sums her up.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#4    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

oh yes, the old, "women are guilty of the crime of existing in public" line.

#5    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa. She is proposing that rape victims could be "partly responsible"; the operative word here is "partly". Making such a blanket statement is ridiculous as no two cases are alike, nor is EVERY rape victim even remotely "responsible" for what happens, but I think she has a point.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#6    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 01 November 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. She is proposing that rape victims could be "partly responsible"; the operative word here is "partly". Making such a blanket statement is ridiculous as no two cases are alike, nor is EVERY rape victim even remotely "responsible" for what happens, but I think she has a point.
No. No woman should be held accountable (even partly) for her own rape, That suggests some victims want to be raped, Maybe you should interview some victims of rape? See how they view it?. If you were mugged walking down the street, Would you be partly responsible? Do you walk down the road thinking i hope I get mugged tonight?
Some people just don't realise how serious a crime rape is and what it can do to the victim. Implying that the victim has somehow bought it on herself is just cruel. Would we say the same for murder victims? Are they to blame for their own murder? Are child abuse victims to blame because they are children? No. Its the rapist that commits the crime, Not the victim.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 01 November 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#7    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,334 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

This old bat wouldn't be so flippant if her own children were raped.
That's kinda like saying that a child who is being abused is partly "responsible" because they misbehaved or something or
a husband trying to claim that he wouldn't have hit his wife if she hadn't made him angry. (strange how, at the same time, we seem to use that rationale to justify hitting children)

I do understand that if you are in an area that seems to be experiencing a higher rate of such crimes that it would be good for ALL to exercise more caution but in the end the person who commits the crime is responsible for their actions. It is pure stupidity to blame others by saying "If he/she didn't do this or that then I wouldn't have assaulted them.".

The whole article just ticked me off.

#8    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostRyu, on 01 November 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

This old bat wouldn't be so flippant if her own children were raped.
That's kinda like saying that a child who is being abused is partly "responsible" because they misbehaved or something or
a husband trying to claim that he wouldn't have hit his wife if she hadn't made him angry. (strange how, at the same time, we seem to use that rationale to justify hitting children)

I do understand that if you are in an area that seems to be experiencing a higher rate of such crimes that it would be good for ALL to exercise more caution but in the end the person who commits the crime is responsible for their actions. It is pure stupidity to blame others by saying "If he/she didn't do this or that then I wouldn't have assaulted them.".

The whole article just ticked me off.
Some women are misogynists. I think she may be one.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 01 November 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#9    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,334 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 01 November 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Some women are misogynists. I think she may be one.

Hmm...I never really considered that angle. Still..I wonder if she was ever to become the unfortunate victim of a crime would her stance "magically" change?
I am betting it would.

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 01 November 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

No. No woman should be held accountable (even partly) for her own rape. If you were mugged walking down the street, Would you be partly responsible?
Some people just don't realise how serious a crime rape is and what it can do to the victim. Implying that the victim has somehow bought it on herself is just cruel. Would we say the same for murder victims? Are they responsible for their own rape? Are child abuse victims to blame because they are children? No. Its the rapist that commits the crime, Not the victim.

That's actually part of my point. As much as I dream of walking through downtown Detroit with fistfuls of cash hanging out of my pockets, I know that's probably not the safest thing to do. I can do it, there's no law stopping me from doing it, but I know I exponentially increase my chances of something happening. This is where the "partly responsible" bit comes into play:

Before I get into it, I want to preface this by excluding children from my examples. They don't know enough about the world around them to even know what precautions are, let alone when they should be taken.

This is not a perfect world. We all wish it was, but it isn't. I wish I could drive home every day never ever worrying about getting into an accident, but I still wear my seatbelt. I wish I didn't have to worry about drowning, but when I waterski I still wear my life-jacket. We all take precautions every day for situations that we know are unlikely, but aren't worth experiencing. Are there still victims that took measures to protect themselves? Of course! It's very tragic...but there are also victims who go head first through windshields because they thought they were invincible.

All I'm saying is that the idea of the rape victim always being completely blameless is bogus. There is a thing called "personal responsibility". Everyone knows there are murderers, rapists and thieves out there...doing irresponsible things like consistently getting blackout drunk and hoping for the best? Come on...most people have the common sense to avoid potentially dangerous situations, so why should this be any different?

Again, this in no way applies to every rape victim as I'm sure there are many that DID try and take precautions. But throwing caution to the wind and wondering why you became a victim? :unsure2:

Edited by Dark_Grey, 01 November 2013 - 08:59 PM.

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#11    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

View PostRyu, on 01 November 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

Hmm...I never really considered that angle. Still..I wonder if she was ever to become the unfortunate victim of a crime would her stance "magically" change?
I am betting it would.
You can bet your life it would. We could all live our lives thinking "i'd better not do this/go there because i might get raped" but thats not realistic. It can happen to anyone, anywhere and insinuating that the victim is responsible if that does happen is ridiculous, She may find out one day. I hope not but its possible.

#12    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,334 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

It is sad we live in such a precarious world. We all should be free to wander our own world but there are those who insist on seeing everyone else as potential "prey" thus making the choice of whether or not to go out at night more of an issue of safety than anything else.

It doesn't matter how a person is dressed or how they behave, in the end every individual has a responsibility over their own actions but one should NOT be held responsible for anothers acts of crimes. (I hope that made sense...)

#13    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 01 November 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

All I'm saying is that the idea of the rape victim always being completely blameless is bogus.
I have nothing more to say on the subject.

#14    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostSheWomanCatTypeThing, on 01 November 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

I have nothing more to say on the subject.

Ok.

#15    SheWomanCatTypeThing

SheWomanCatTypeThing

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Maybe I was a bit unfair and i see what your saying, which is nothing new, Maybe its the use of the word responsible that irks me so much. Nobody ever wants to get raped. Making them feel crappy afterwards does not help.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing, 01 November 2013 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users