Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Naturalists hunt for Tasmanian Tiger evidence

thylacine

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,975 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

We should capture and breed them for racing.

It's obvious that one of those things would give a greyhound a run for its money, what with the racing stripes and all.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#32    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,054 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

View Postgatekeeper32, on 10 November 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Be good for a change to know an species still exists.
One photographed recently in Vietnam that had not been seen for over a decade (a species of ox).

View PostHarte, on 15 November 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

We should capture and breed them for racing.

It's obvious that one of those things would give a greyhound a run for its money, what with the racing stripes and all.

Harte
They wouldn't run: they would turn on each other and fight.

#33    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 8,975 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Well, then, that settles it.

We breed them for fighting.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#34    Squatchthulhu

Squatchthulhu

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:19 AM

that would be a hell of a sight they supposively had one hell of a lbs per square inch bite ratio.
not to mention being able to stand up on their tail.

Edited by Squatchthulhu, 15 November 2013 - 04:19 AM.

#35    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

I have faith that they can find it

#36    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,765 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I have faith that they will fall flat on their asses.

Posted Image

#37    sophSPOOK

sophSPOOK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

We have a stuffed Tasmanian Tiger at our museum here in Adelaide, South Australia. They look like Dingos with stripes.

#38    Zero2Hero

Zero2Hero

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

The team have actually returned, I'll check the CFZ website and bump this in a few days.
I suspect it's findings of the anectdotal variety, as was always going to be the case on a short expedition like this.

Oh, I've found a link...
http://www.abc.net.a...e-tiger/5095522

Freeman suspected it was there beforehand and now is convinced it's there. Who knows, it could be, I suppose it's a case of whether you believe the people who are telling you that they've seen it

#39    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,765 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

All they found was big pieces of poop and stories. Sad but that's how I assumed it would go.

The poop tests are a long shot... Can someone update if the results are released?

Posted Image

#40    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,898 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

http://forteanzoolog...-and-video.html

The mystery of the Tasmanian tiger remains after an expedition failed to catch a glimpse of the elusive animal thought to have become extinct 80 years ago.

The UK-based Centre of Fortean Zoology is dedicated to tracking mythical, mystery and extinct animals around the world.

Nine members have just wound up the first stage of their latest self-funded project: hunting the thylacine.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#41    aearluin

aearluin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

• “Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to.”

Mark Twain

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Witness accounts in this kind of topics have almost no value. Until they can prove there is talacyne DNA on those faeces there is nothing to defend their claim.

#42    sam12six

sam12six

Psychic Spy

• 1,368 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

At first glance, I thought the thread title said "Naturists hunt..."

I'll admit, I was a little disappointed by the link.

#43    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

Tasmania remains pretty untouched to my memory, forest wise. It's pretty likely there's some animals hiding deep in the forests.

#44    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 14 November 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Its a remote possibility, but even so, in NZ we have plenty of Kiwi species and though they are endangered and our national icon, the only place most people including New Zealanders ever get to see one is in a zoo as they are shy elusive and nocturnal creatures like has been described of the Tasmanian tiger.

I think people from many countries could say that. I've never seen a wild koala, wombat, wallaby, platypus, echidna, dingo, tassie devil or pretty much any Australian icon. Kangaroos would have to be the only native animal I would see and even that's rare nowadays. Been months since I've seen a kangaroo, been years since I've seen one up close.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#45    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,644 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:05 AM

View PostDKO, on 27 December 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

I think people from many countries could say that. I've never seen a wild koala, wombat, wallaby, platypus, echidna, dingo, tassie devil or pretty much any Australian icon. Kangaroos would have to be the only native animal I would see and even that's rare nowadays. Been months since I've seen a kangaroo, been years since I've seen one up close.

Wildlife, especially species that are hunted, do tend to stay away from people. I live in North America and have only ever seen two wild black bear, and they were terrified of the encounter, so much so I "bearly" got a good look, I basically saw the rump of one as it dove over an embankment. I have seen one bobcat up close and another possible sighting along a highway and they are common, but rather secretive. I suspect there are large areas of Tasmania that people don't frequent, just like there are large areas of N.A. that rarely get visitors. Doesn't mean the Thylacine still lives or that Bigfoot exists, but for the tiger, it does offer some hope that the remoteness of the place and the density of the bush might yet hide a few.

Also tagged with thylacine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users