Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Shotspotter detects 39,000 incidents in DC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Washington Post said:

When Absalom Jordan hears the crack of gunfire outside his home in Southeast Washington, he reacts in an instant. “You get away from the windows and get down,” the 72-year-old said. “I have learned to live with it.”

Police are listening as well. Rooftop sensors monitor his neighborhood around the clock for the distinctive bang of a gun. The inconspicuous devices have logged hundreds of incidents over the past eight years near his apartment as part of a gunfire surveillance network called ShotSpotter.

About 39,000 separate incidents of gunfire have been documented by ShotSpotter’s unseen web of at least 300 acoustic sensors across 20 square miles of the city, according to an analysis by The Washington Post. The data, obtained through a public-records request, offer an unprecedented view of gun crime in a city where shooting a firearm is illegal in virtually all circumstances.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,203 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

About 39,000 separate incidents of gunfire have been documented by ShotSpotter’s unseen web of at least 300 acoustic sensors across 20 square miles of the city, according to an analysis by The Washington Post. The data, obtained through a public-records request, offer an unprecedented view of gun crime in a city where shooting a firearm is illegal in virtually all circumstances.

Just more evidence that strict gun control raises the rate of gun crime.  No surprise there.

#3    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,305 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

It does say gun crimes goes down every year

#4    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,655 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

ShotSpotter’s can not detect shots are fired indoors. so 39000 is not the whole story.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

So 39K shots fired; and not one of them hit a decent target

#6    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,106 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

Brace yourselves: gun control advocates are on the way.

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,792 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

Sounds like an interesting system.  I wonder how or IF it differentiates between locations of the sound source?  IOW could multiple sensors detect a single shot and skew the results?  Interesting idea.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,655 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

even if it does, it isn't like every time the sys detects a shot, cops are there right away. it can tell where shot is fired from, it would be usefull if you looking for snipers and monitor it all the time, but in this  case it is nothing more than capitan obvious, if cops find body and shell casing, they pretty much know the shooting happened here, and shots were fired from here. and most likely withness accounts will establish time of the shooting before cops will find it out from sys. database.

not to mention in pbly 95% cases by the time cops respond, shoter already long gone, or dead.

Edited by aztek, 04 November 2013 - 10:27 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I'm not so sure I'd rely on those numbers.  It's a pretty dodgy system that many municipalities have uninstalled.  A town nearby just did it last year.

http://www.timesunio...ter-3994808.php

Given the cost of the system and the nature of politics, I have to wonder if the glowing reviews such as the one in the OP are simply covering the asses of those who pushed for the system in the first place.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

What about cars back-firing? Can it detect the difference?  I would want to know how accurate it's sensor really are, alot of things can "sound like gunfire".

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

If the systems calibration isn't right on, imagine what a pack of black cat fire crackers would create.

"NEWS FLASH" sensors in DC have detected and identified multiple machine gun bursts. White house goes into lock down.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 05 November 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

What about cars back-firing? Can it detect the difference?  I would want to know how accurate it's sensor really are, alot of things can "sound like gunfire".

As you can read in the article it actually identifies characteristic sound patterns by their waveforms. They are pretty unique. Still, there is a small margin of error.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,792 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 06 November 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

As you can read in the article it actually identifies characteristic sound patterns by their waveforms. They are pretty unique. Still, there is a small margin of error.
I assumed it would be calibrated to discern between one type of sound and another - I just wondered if it had some doppler device to keep from miss-registering one event as multiple events.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#14    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

View Postand then, on 06 November 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

I assumed it would be calibrated to discern between one type of sound and another - I just wondered if it had some doppler device to keep from miss-registering one event as multiple events.

The sensors can determine the point of origin of the event.

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 06 November 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

The sensors can determine the point of origin of the event.

... because it is detected by multiple sensors. The location is determined by run-time and triangulation.

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users