Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Privacy of Your Home

privacy home spying

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Considering the technical level & structure of our human society, it is hardly possible (at least for me) to image how to protect the privacy of normal people.

Consider it yourselves: "bug" can be placed into anything, military and other secret electronical & optical equipments can see and listen to you on big distances and similarly.

Perhaps the main thing is to have a bit of privacy at your own home. Maybe the most basic means how to secure it are these:

1. No visitors admitted into your home and at least one family member always present in it.

2. Safe computer and safe mobile phone.

Part of my opinion on this is described in the article that I have attached.

Attached Files

#2    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,177 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:53 AM

I guess all that's well and good, but honestly.

If the government wants to watch me dance around to Queen in my bathrobe, go for it.  All this talk about security and what have you seems to come across as people wanting to feel like they're important enough to be watched.

I've seen **** that'll turn you WHITE!

#3    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostSkepticalB, on 07 November 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

If the government wants to watch me dance around to Queen in my bathrobe, go for it.  All this talk about security and what have you seems to come across as people wanting to feel like they're important enough to be watched.

All day long. Exactly like SB said, as much as people like to get paranoid about their info being collected, some of them need to take a step back and just ask themselves, "is there anything I do in my life that would raise a national security issue with the NSA?"
Personally, I found the answer to be both comforting and very depressing... :unsure2: Talk about living the life that's been lived by a thousand others a thousand times...

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#4    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

View PostSkepticalB, on 07 November 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

All this talk about security and what have you seems to come across as people wanting to feel like they're important enough to be watched.

Problem is that who is and is not important and to whom, is sometimes a difficult question.

For example, if you had a hen, for some zoophile in sexual need would be the most important thing to get to know, when it is there alone without your presence in the house.

Do you understand me? Everybody has different reasons to get to know your privacy. Sometimes you even cannot guess them.

#5    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

...I don't have a hen tho.

I f I did, i'd have eaten it already

THat is an oddly specific fear

Edited by SkepticalB, 09 November 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#6    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Now I have remembered one thing. Maybe it is a so-called "coincidence", but windows XP contains option of a full HDD format, but the newer Windows 7 does not contain this option, they only have option of quick format that does not sweep the previous data so well.

Could it be a purpose to read people's deleted personal data more easily?

And how about Windows 8, do they contain the option of the full HDD format?

Edited by The_Spirit_of_Truth, 10 November 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#7    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,268 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 10 November 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Now I have remembered one thing. Maybe it is a so-called "coincidence", but windows XP contains option of a full HDD format, but the newer Windows 7 does not contain this option, they only have option of quick format that does not sweep the previous data so well.

Could it be a purpose to read people's deleted personal data more easily?

And how about Windows 8, do they contain the option of the full HDD format?

Yes. Both Windows 7 and 8 (presumably 8.1 as well) have the option for a full HDD format and there's a very technical, special, super-secret-squirrel way that you achieve it...

You un-check the box next to "Quick Format".... :ph34r:

Cz

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan

"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." – H. L. Mencken

#8    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostKelevra, on 07 November 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

If the government wants to watch me dance around to Queen in my bathrobe, go for it.

LOL... :)

View PostDark_Grey, on 07 November 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

All day long. Exactly like SB said, as much as people like to get paranoid about their info being collected, some of them need to take a step back and just ask themselves, "is there anything I do in my life that would raise a national security issue with the NSA?"
Personally, I found the answer to be both comforting and very depressing... :unsure2: Talk about living the life that's been lived by a thousand others a thousand times...

Tell me about it. I have no idea why the NSA would ever spy on me. My life is not that exciting.....

Edited by Kowalski, 10 November 2013 - 11:08 PM.

#9    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

all I can say is that if the government were monitoring me, they must be seriously bored of watching me watch netflix.

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,177 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:36 AM

Maybe this is why nothing gets done.

The govt spends all its time watching our dull little lives and miss their meetings

#11    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostCzero 101, on 10 November 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Yes. Both Windows 7 and 8 (presumably 8.1 as well) have the option for a full HDD format and there's a very technical, special, super-secret-squirrel way that you achieve it...

You un-check the box next to "Quick Format".... :ph34r:

Yes, I know. It is when I format some drive after I have installed Windows. I meant full format before I install Windows to an empty drive from installation CD (full format of system partition).

#12    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,268 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 12 November 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yes, I know. It is when I format some drive after I have installed Windows. I meant full format before I install Windows to an empty drive from installation CD (full format of system partition).

Ok... you probably should have specified initially that this was during an install and you would have probably been spared some secret-squirrel sarcasm... ;)

Anyway... the only difference between a quick format and a full format is that a full format will do a complete surface check to verify sector integrity after erasing and then recreating the MBR and MFT, which is what a quick format does.

Once the Boot Record and File Table have been removed then recreated, the only way to access any old information on the drive is with data recovery software.

That said... if you still want to do a "full format" during installation, do this.

Boot to the install DVD. After the setup loads go to System Recovery Options

From there open a command line. Type the following command:

format C: /fs:NTFS

This will do a full format and set the file system to NTFS. You can also specify FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and UDF.

Once it's done, restart the system and re-launch the install.

Alternately, if you have a LOT of time to spare, you can type the following command:

format C: /fs:NTFS /p:count

where "count" is any number.

/p:count - specifies that the format should overwrite all sectors with zeros. A number is entered in the "count" position to set how many times the Format should overwrite all sectors with random numbers after the initial zeroing. If the "count" is set to zero, the format will stop after zeroing all sectors.

A 500Gb drive will take close to 2 hours to format in this manner.

Good luck... :)

Cz

Edited by Czero 101, 13 November 2013 - 12:52 AM.

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan

"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." – H. L. Mencken

#13    The_Spirit_of_Truth

The_Spirit_of_Truth

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Well, you seem to be an expert on it. But most of ordinary users cannot handle the command line that well. They would prefer clicking with mouse.

#14    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,268 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostThe_Spirit_of_Truth, on 23 November 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

Well, you seem to be an expert on it.

Expert? No... I do know more than the average computer user, but I wouldn't call myself and "expert".

But there's the really neat new thing now called Google..... ;)

But most of ordinary users cannot handle the command line that well.

And this reasoning is EXACTLY why more complicated and potentially destructive operations are harder to find by most "ordinary" users. Most "ordinary" users don't really care about the one single difference between a Quick Format and a Full Format... they usually just care that one takes minutes and the other takes hours.

"Zeroing out" a hard drive SHOULD be a harder operation to figure out, more suited for a computer user with more experience and understanding than that of an "ordinary user" as to what that operation actually does and what dangers there are in using it.

So if there is any conspiracy here, it should be a welcomed one since it helps stop "ordinary users" from making irreversible mistakes on their computer systems

They would prefer clicking with mouse.

Un-checking the box next to "Quick Format" IS done with a mouse... usually, anyways...

But weren't we talking about formatting during the install process...?

If memory serves - and admittedly it has been many years since I've done a complete install, and that was with XP - setting up a complete install involves very little "mouse clicking"... practically none, actually...

Cz

Edited by Czero 101, 23 November 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#15    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,195 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

And the most important rule is to eliminate any witnesses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users