Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UFO 'Donut' Caught on ISS Live Video

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:16 AM

A strange, donut-shaped, transparent UFO was spotted in a video made from the NASA International Space Station (ISS) live stream on November 4.

The video, posted to USTREAM.com, lasts for about three hours. But it's around the 1:38:00 mark that the weird, ring-shaped unidentified flying object appears. After morphing into a crescent shape and changing colors for about five minutes, the object suddenly disappears from view.

The disappearance coincides with the ISS flying over the Terminator, the line separating day from night and clearly visible from space. Whoever made the video must have had a purpose. Were they aware that the object would appear during that time period?

http://news.gather.c...281474981963083

Watch vid here, ffwd to 1.38 and keep watching

http://www.ustream.t...corded/40481898

Posted Image

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,439 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUHHHH!!  i just tried to watch it, but the screen stayed black. In the comments below there was a youtube link for this vid, but when i clicked on that, i was told the content "is not available"......!

Cover up or  Jacques' crappy hardware?? YOU DECIDE! :whistle:

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 07 November 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

DUH-DUH-DUH-DUUUUUUHHHH!!  i just tried to watch it, but the screen stayed black. In the comments below there was a youtube link for this vid, but when i clicked on that, i was told the content "is not available"......!

Cover up or  Jacques' crappy hardware?? YOU DECIDE! :whistle:

MIB silencing the internet again? :lol:

Try this one
http://www.ufocasebo...live-video.html

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Poltergeist

• 2,439 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

thanks for the other link, man! :tu:  didn't work though, i guess it's got something to do with my work computer still running on windows 2000...

what struck me though when i watched the still was that it slightly resembles those so-called "UFOs" from that notorious NASA "tether incident"...that was explained, right? could it be the same phenomenon? Gaaahh... i leave it to you guys with 21st century gear for now.....

#5    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,300 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

I will be keen to hear Jim's take on it, but as sunlight affects it, surely it has to be a camera defect? They say a lens flare is ruled out, and reflection, but as you say, it does remind one of the STS ice particles. Condensation on the camera lens maybe?

Also, the object appears to reflect sunlight and travels at a relative, constant distance from the ISS as well as maintaining a consistent speed.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#6    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,330 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

Dunno about this particular one, but some ISS camera lenses have a central obstruction (just like mirror (or reflex or catadioptric) lenses), which means all out of focus objects (usually that means things quite close to the camera) will be donuts.  It certainly looks like a bokeh donut...  Eg, here's some from one of my old 'cat' lenses:

Posted Image

same thing, except this lens had a quite large central obstruction hence the skinnier donuts, and the stuff causing the donuts (which are sunlit sparkles on water) was far away rather than close.

Edited by ChrLzs, 07 November 2013 - 09:33 AM.

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#7    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

And here it is caught on radar

Nah sorry folks its not got anything to do with the ISS, Im just kidding...But after Chrlzs's photo shows the donuts anomaly I had a quick google search to see if I can find more, the above was one of them but is a known radar anomaly

http://www.dailymail...really-mea.html

And I found another similar over someone's HOUSE!...

So for sure its got to be something to do with the camera/lenses.... And as other have said, Jim O will put the story straight

Posted Image

Tell you what though, that clip was 3 hours long and not much happening, so 'credit' to whoever patiently watched it all - and found the above couple of mins of donut flying ...

#8    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,330 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Isn't it amazing how an inexperienced amateur observer here on earth, with not a clue about photography, lenses, optics, imaging, space sciences, orbital mechanics, operational aspects of a spacecraft, etc, etc, can pore over video footage like this, and spot something that looks odd and they don't understand...

no, wait, it's not that amazing.

BTW, I note that TOM ROSE is responsible for an awful lot of these UFO videos, and he never seems to give a source (as in who spotted the anomaly).  So I wonder if he is the person I described above?

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#9    Kahn

Kahn

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

• Ignorance is no substitute for intelligence.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm sure it's dust within the mechanism, but I will defer to those more knowledgeable in camera optics.

#10    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,330 posts

when it IS worthless...

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostKahn, on 07 November 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

I'm sure it's dust within the mechanism, but I will defer to those more knowledgeable in camera optics.

Close.. but these blobs usually move across the field of view - which means they aren't on/in the camera/lens.  It's usually ice or similar debris, often sunlit, that is drifting past the window quite close to the camera.  Because the camera is focused pretty much on Infinity so as to image the earth below, the little bright nearby speck is thrown out of focus.  The shape of the out of focus blob (technically called 'bokeh') is determined largely by the lens' design.

#11    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,002 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I would think  a  reflection or a lens thing..  i notice the   appearance and disappearance of the  "donut"  coincides with the brightness of the sunLIGHT  in the view.
..and it never moves... it remains stationary in relation to the ISS.

Notice though .. that clouds pass OVER  the donut...  how does that happen if it's a lens or reflection thingy  going on ???  ..   ???

I saw an energy donut  in the 70's   .. It's movements were  unexplainable really.

Edited by lightly, 07 November 2013 - 12:36 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostChrLzs, on 07 November 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Isn't it amazing how an inexperienced amateur observer here on earth, with not a clue about photography, lenses, optics, imaging, space sciences, orbital mechanics, operational aspects of a spacecraft, etc, etc, can pore over video footage like this, and spot something that looks odd and they don't understand...

no, wait, it's not that amazing.

BTW, I note that TOM ROSE is responsible for an awful lot of these UFO videos, and he never seems to give a source (as in who spotted the anomaly).  So I wonder if he is the person I described above?

OK so on that bit of name info I went back to the OP link

At the bottom of the article its says "Image courtesy of NASA and Blogger"   The 'Blogger' bit...is a link to this blog

http://glancealotlin...live-video.html

And straight away we see " Posted by Tom Rose at 3:06 PM".

So I googled up 'Tom Rose + UFO' and found this list of stuff by the same man

http://www.examiner....user-trose11209

#13    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,762 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Looks like the airy-disk camera artifact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#14    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

View Postseeder, on 07 November 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

A strange, donut-shaped, transparent UFO was spotted in a video made from the NASA International Space Station (ISS) live stream on November 4.

The video, posted to USTREAM.com, lasts for about three hours. But it's around the 1:38:00 mark that the weird, ring-shaped unidentified flying object appears. After morphing into a crescent shape and changing colors for about five minutes, the object suddenly disappears from view.

The disappearance coincides with the ISS flying over the Terminator, the line separating day from night and clearly visible from space. Whoever made the video must have had a purpose. Were they aware that the object would appear during that time period?

Watch vid here, ffwd to 1.38 and keep watching

http://www.ustream.t...corded/40481898

Just some effect of the camera.  Nothing remotely like a UFO.

Posted Image

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,123 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postzoser, on 07 November 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

Just some effect of the camera.  Nothing remotely like a UFO.

he says after we have all offered potential explanations... and 'nothing like a UFO'? Really, what are UFO's really like then? And no dont start pasting endless pics pls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users