Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

you, yes YOU, are a cosmic Schmuck.

robert wilson reality perception philisophy

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:22 PM

IMO, this is a great Philosophy..

If you get out of bed each morning and realize that "Oh crap, I am a cosmic Schmuck." You'll become embarrassed by being such a cosmic Schmuck and want to become less of a cosmic Schmuck, and over time, you will become less of a Cosmic Schmuck.. But if you get of of bed each morning and don't realize that you are a Cosmic Schmuck, you will stay being a Cosmic Schmuck for the rest of your life..

This is a great Philosophy, coined by Robert Anton Wilson..  And essentially it entails this..

We all create our own little maps of reality tunnels composed of beliefs and Ideas about reality.. But these reality maps are exactly what they are, a Map of our perceptions of reality, and not the real reality that everyone faces every day. These maps are formed by our ideas about what is real and are composed of less than a single percent of what is actually real.. And the stupid thing about us is that we use these maps to perceive our own reality... A Map is not the landscape the same way a Menu is not the meal.. (The fact that we use these reality maps to perceive reality means we will always be wrong.)

Beliefs Imprison you..
Convictions create convicts..
Stop being right or the time and know that you are wrong, so that over time you become less wrong..

http://www.dailygrai...he-Internet-Age

Edited by Professor T, 07 November 2013 - 11:39 PM.

#2    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,409 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

"you, yes YOU, are a cosmic Schmuck." I knew it... :o :hmm: :huh: ^_^

All I can say is that I'm not as self-righteous as I used to be.  I am working towards greater tolerance of different points of view. But I do slip up every now and then.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#3    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Transit umbra, lux permanet

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:11 AM

Interesting :o

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

“Sometimes, I sit alone under the stars and think of the galaxies inside my heart, and truly wonder if anyone will ever want to make sense of all that I am.”
-Testy McTesterson

#4    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,821 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

Wise words indeed

#5    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

We make our own hells and being a cosmic Schmuck is one of those, like being stuck in an alternate reality where nothing seem to act or function the way that we think that it should. Or maybe it is just an overwhelming psychic connection but a negative one, that appears constantly in one's dreams that connects you to this alternate reality.  The Cosmos is filled with dynamic energy that flows and circulates, thus nothing stays the same forever. There can be a sort of metamorphosis to enact, like a caterpillar that makes a cocoon or a crysallis for itself and emerges as a splendid butterfly or a moth, a transformation of sorts. Metaphorically the cocoon is the personal reality that we create for ourselves one brick at a a time, like a wall of separateness that closes the self off from the chaos of outside influences.  We perceive through our own personal filters what information is gathered about anything that is not the self, and reality is a selective process rather than an actuality, it much depends on how you feel about something that makes your own reality work for you.

Edited by spacelizard667, 08 November 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#6    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

I was afraid someone would confirm that sooner or later. Is there a Cosmic Schmuck Anonymous I can join?

#7    spacelizard667

spacelizard667

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

• What is the more fun, inviting a wolf to dinner or having a tiger by it's tail ?

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Unless you first realize what getting bogged down in inertia is first, you never really get rolling.  In a sense the Cosmic Schmuck is just a phase that we go through, or like I said before it's another place somewhere else, sort of out there in an alternate reality. So how does one go about breaking out of that pattern other than by metamorphosis or transformation;  since you didn't elaborate on that sequence or technique Professor T ? Have you perfected any proceedure ?

Edited by spacelizard667, 08 November 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#8    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Nope.. I haven't perfected any procedure..

I suspect that self analysis, self reflection, and trying to reach the seemingly unattainable seems to be a great way to start though. I suspect that most of humanity don't understand their selves and their own thoughts.. (Myself included there) Unless someone experiences something, or tests the boundaries of their own consciousness one is probably going to stay bogged down in a mundane reality for most of their lives..

Over the course of our lives we are told what is right and what is wrong. We're told this law and that law. We're told to believe in certain Ideas. Authorities control us with these illusions and we learn these limitations which effectively create a our reality tunnels and constrict our understanding of reality. And yet, every now an then, we catch a glimpse of something that mysteriously doesn't fit our map of reality? A ghost.. A UFO... An event or an experience that just doesn't fit, doesn't compute, doesn't make sense... These things are telling us that we are Schmucks because their origin is most likely from outside of our reality tunnels. But sadly, most dismiss or refuse to see these things because it's doesn't compute.. (They are the ones who believe their maps of reality is reality.)

It's the folk who get out of bed in the mornings that KNOW they are a Cosmic Schmuck who have greater potential to understand and learn more about the nature and mystery of reality..

Edited by Professor T, 08 November 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Seeker79

• 12,999 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

This is Dan Millman's fool or foolish jackass philosophy. You should read "The way of the peaceful warrior"

Edited by White Crane Feather, 08 November 2013 - 09:52 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Saw the title of the thread and just had to take a look - I'm pretty sure you're talking to me. :P  :blush:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#11    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostBeany, on 08 November 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

I was afraid someone would confirm that sooner or later. Is there a Cosmic Schmuck Anonymous I can join?

View PostlibstaK, on 08 November 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Saw the title of the thread and just had to take a look - I'm pretty sure you're talking to me. :P  :blush:

Me thinks the whole of humanity should start a Cosmic Schmuck support network.. :lol:
Call it the internet... :huh:
Start discussing the depth's of our Cosmic Schmuckery..  Stop being right all the time and just admit that we're all just as clueless as the next man.. Only then can we make a start with making sense of damn near every thread on this site.. . :lol: :P

#12    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Schmuck is not one of those traits that a person would eagerly self-identify as. It needs a better working title, don't you think?

#13    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

I really think those who are at present contemplating owning up to being a 'schmuck' should look up the word's Yiddish origins first!

Edited by ealdwita, 10 November 2013 - 07:04 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,998 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Most great thinkers down thought the ages seemed to think that the wisest are those who realize that they don't  KNOW ... (your 2nd group getting out of bed)

Schmuck ....  bigger Schmuck    ... sounds like a competition though      We are born pretty much schmuckless?  We are children.  Then we go out into the world/reality and when we Experience it long enough .. we begin to realize how little we know ,  which makes many  VERY curious  ?     Before then we assume we know it all..  or don't really think about such things?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Drifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

• How much do you don't see?

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostProfessor T, on 07 November 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Stop being right or the time and know that you are wrong, so that over time you become less wrong..

The golden line I once had a clue of, now only its remnants residing in my thoughts, taken a form of something else.

You can't fill a full cup, it runs over. Can make it bigger this way, cheers bud. :tu:

Wherever there's a problem, there's solutions.
Answers are found from a wide deep perspective, from opened mind's eyes.
From where good and bad stay silent and you hear the real cause and effect, and big picture.
Giving up is wasting your time, but also necessary to find the true cause you didn't find yet.
Staying in the path is necessary only when there's trueness in that path.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users