Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Haiyan hits my countrymen... not again :(

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• I'd rather believe on a conspiracy than believing on a government that's feeding off its taxpayers

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

We haven't fully recovered from a 7.2 magnitude earthquake and as I am posting this thread right now, we're experiencing superb strong winds and heavy rains like at any moment the electricity can be cut and I'm going to post this now before my wifi is gone lol. One of the strongest storms in world history based on maximum windspeed is making a landfall through the Central Philippines, producing deadly storm surges and dumping heavy rainfall.

Haiyan, known in the Philippines as Super Typhoon Yolanda, had estimated maximum sustained winds of 195 mph with gusts above 220 mph, that means it was travelling 24mph faster than Hurricane Katrina when it slammed into the US last 2005. Since 1969, only three storms have had sustained winds close to this magnitude — Hurricane Camille in 1969, Super Typhoon Tip in 1979, and Hurricane Allen in 1980. No storm in the Atlantic has ever been stronger than Haiyan, according to The Weather Channel. Meteorologists believe Haiyan is stronger than the world's last strongest tropical cyclone, hurricane Camille, which was recorded in the US at 190mph in 1969.

Satellite image of Super Typhoon Haiyan, it's sooo huge it's covering the whole country:

Posted Image

sources:

http://www.huffingto..._n_4235250.html

http://edition.cnn.c...typhoon-haiyan/

http://news.uk.msn.c...lippines-be-hit

sigh... what is happening to our country =__=

Edited by crimson089, 08 November 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,783 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Stay safe, Crimson!

#3    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

• I'd rather believe on a conspiracy than believing on a government that's feeding off its taxpayers

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

thanks! omg my wifi still here : D

Posted Image

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,460 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

If I could, I would put you and your family up.
When people need help from natural disasters, NO money should get in the way.
Slightly off topic(sort of) but when I hear about how much the clean up or rescue costs are, I can not understand why? do it for nothing and worry about costs later, get the government to cover the costs, they have the money.
But as usual, there are always those who will use a disaster to their advantage, if they are not going out robbing and looting by foot, they are doing it through charges.

STAY SAFE Crimson089.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

i know, i totally agree. cash donations 90% of the time gets on the hands of the corrupts. for the past calamities we've been through, our government would tell us the budget has already been depleted, well mostly inside their pockets. im lucky my place was always far from natural disasters, this time quite far from the storm's landfall. thanks again freetoroam! : )

Posted Image

#6    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,087 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

There has been some serious devastation from this Typhoon, my heart goes out to all affected.  How frightening.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#7    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

phew Super Saiyan Storm is gone, it's now heading to nearby asian countries but thank goodness it became weaker. I do hope they're ready for this storm, and yeah we're pretty devastated :cry:

Posted Image

#8    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,482 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

It's good you are safe crimson.

The latest news report here says "More than 120 people are reported killed by Typhoon Haiyan on one Philippines island, as the country tries to recover from the storm." - How awful :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-24878801

Posted Image

#9    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

thanks for posting that link. that article briefly shows the storm's aftermath but the 120 dead toll is only for the main city of the province where the storm's eye took its landfall. there are 41 more towns nearby  shores that endured the 5m storm surges which are still hardly accessible by now. i hope there are no more piles of body when our local governments reach it.

last night while i was posting this thread and watching local news, they keep on reporting that they have placed their team on that city but  nobody can get in contact with them. communications lines were cut, electricity went down, and still no one knows what is happening to the city, but they were confident that they have contacted LGUs earlier in the afternoon and they were quite ready. i was following the news upto the morning and even we're far from the storm's eye, we were still experiencing storm signals, this storm must be really really big and strong. early morning before i replied to libstak's post, local news were reporting communication lines was restored to the city just this morning and they started broadcasting live of the storm's aftermath where piles of bodies were scattered in the streets. some dead families were seen lying in each other's arms, sudden chills ran down to my spine. residents told them the storm surges went unexpectedly very high smashing many times more than a tsunami is capable of, therefore killed many of them. and this is just from the main city, 41 nearby towns were still hardly accessible. i can't bare to look at the news anymore...

Posted Image

#10    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,707 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Yahoo news reported the death toll surpassed 1,200 from "super" Typhoon Haiyan, and wishes the best of luck for the Philippines to recover from that and the recent M7.2 earthquake. The Philippines receives somewhere between 15 to 20 typhoons annually, as the island chain of 7,700 (WOW!) islands are often in the way of typhoons' paths. Earthquakes and volcanos are common in the archipelago that arises in the Pacific Rim of Fire. And Crimson, what part of the Philippines are you in, may I ask? Yolanda's eye seems to struck the south-central Philippines and northern coasts of Mindanao appears inside the worst part of the storm.

Edited by Mike D boy, 09 November 2013 - 10:14 PM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#11    crimson089

crimson089

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostMike D boy, on 09 November 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Yahoo news reported the death toll surpassed 1,200 from "super" Typhoon Haiyan, and wishes the best of luck for the Philippines to recover from that and the recent M7.2 earthquake. The Philippines receives somewhere between 15 to 20 typhoons annually, as the island chain of 7,700 (WOW!) islands are often in the way of typhoons' paths. Earthquakes and volcanos are common in the archipelago that arises in the Pacific Rim of Fire. And Crimson, what part of the Philippines are you in, may I ask? Yolanda's eye seems to struck the south-central Philippines and northern coasts of Mindanao appears inside the worst part of the storm.

hah yes that's our country's archipelago. imagine how we endure all storms, earthquakes, and other natural disasters each year! these two big consecutive calamities to happen in a span of a year is extremely rare in our history, and i do hope there's no more succeeding catastrophes after this. i'm residing at Luzon region btw, from the southern shores and the nearest province in the capital city of the country. and right, the death toll has raised like 1100% now. sigh....

Edited by crimson089, 10 November 2013 - 04:04 AM.

Posted Image

#12    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,783 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

Media here are saying there could be 10,000 dead.  :(  I pray this is not so.

#13    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,482 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostEldorado, on 10 November 2013 - 06:02 AM, said:

Media here are saying there could be 10,000 dead.  :(  I pray this is not so.
It's terrible.

At least 10,000 people are thought to have been killed in the Philippine city of Tacloban by Typhoon Haiyan, officials believe.

A further 300 are confirmed dead with 2,000 missing in the neighbouring island of Samar.

Up to 4.3million people are said to have been directly affected by the typhoon's path and the death toll is expected to rise further as rescuers reach cut off areas.

If the death toll estimate by government officials is confirmed, it would be the deadliest natural catastrophe on record in the Philippines.

http://uk.news.yahoo...47.html#o8vChuP

Posted Image

#14    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,216 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

So so tragic. The therapist I work with is from Iloilo. He said his family is alright and everyone at the retirement community I work at are grateful for that. Prayers for all the people of the Philippines.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,426 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Prayers for sure!  They have a very hard road ahead of them and will need all the help they can get.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users