Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Preservation or prison?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

For the past four years, Canadian-born photographer Gaston Lacombe has been documenting the lives of animals in captivity at zoos across the world.

For the project titled 'Captive', Lacombe has visited zoos in nine countries on five continents, and the one thing he found in common is how bored they all look in their humdrum lives behind bars.

The DC-based photographer won't identify which zoos in particular he visited since he doesn't want to draw criticism to any one zoo.

'Even in the very best of zoos you still find animals placed in horrible cement enclosures or little glass boxes,' Lacombe told Wired.

Instead, he wants people to rethink the entire idea of zoos. He doesn't think they should be abolished, but more thought should be put into how animals are cared for in these captivities.

'Not all zoos are equal. Some make great efforts to provide their animals with adequate and comfortable habitats, and some others can only be described as animal torture chambers. However, in all zoos, there are always some animals wedged in habitats that are inappropriate, inadequate and uncomfortable. I still haven't seen any exceptions to this,' he said.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,810 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

I live a stone's throw from Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, and I wish I was as well looked after and respected as the animals there are.

http://www.britishzo...lpark/index.php

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users