Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Royal Marine Guilty Of Murdering Afghan Fight

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

A Royal Marine has been found guilty of murdering an Afghan fighter, who had been seriously wounded by an Apache attack helicopter.

A court martial in Bulford, Wiltshire, found that the serviceman - known only as Marine A - shot the insurgent, who was armed with an AK47, in the chest with a 9mm pistol in Helmand Province more than two years ago.

Two other Marines - referred to as Marines B and C - were acquitted.

All will remain anonymous until the court martial or a judge decides otherwise.

The three men had denied murdering the unknown captured Afghan national on or about September 15, 2011, contrary to Section 42 of the Armed Forces Act 2006.

But a seven-strong board, consisting of officers and non-commissioned officers, convicted Marine A following a two-week trial.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,065 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

There are several ways to view that situation, perhaps best not to comment, methinks.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 November 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

There are several ways to view that situation, perhaps best not to comment, methinks.

I too will have to keep quiet on this one also . :innocent:

Posted Image

#4    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,302 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

View Postealdwita, on 08 November 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Agreed...

#5    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,059 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I hope the Marine whose been found guilty is given a lenient sentence. life in prison is to much. 8 years reduced to 5, released in 3. he's no threat to society. the same society that asked him to carry out the will of government on behalf of the government we elected. 99.9% of the men and women in the armed forces conduct themselves in a manner of how the military expects. but on occasion individuals will sometimes let these high standards slip like on this occasion and not always down to the individual involved.

Its okay for people to criticise from the comfort of their office chair or front room, when these people are as far removed from the implications of war as can be. and here i include our politicians. its easy for them to send our men and woman overseas to engage in conflicts and just as easy for them to criticise them. - yet how much responsibility does the government have to take. - in Iraq and Afghanistan the Armed forces achieved everything asked of them. militarily, they've done our nation proud once again. - but failings, and there was failings can all be laid at the governments door, inept - a total lack of planning by our politicians once the militarily campaign was achieved as lead to unnecessary loss of life on all sides.

I've always believed we shouldn't get involved in any conflicts unless we are willing to use all means to achieve victory. wars are not civil and never will be - consequences will not always be to our liking. but maybe the politicians should consider this before asking our men and woman to put their LIVES on the line on their behalf.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#6    TopToffee

TopToffee

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostOhelemapit, on 08 November 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

View: Read more
Let us not judge these people.We reap what we sow. I have sown many..

Edited by TopToffee, 09 November 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#7    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

This should have been ignored. What happens at the front is what happens, despite any treaties or what those who never fight say. I notice this case has been made to seem the same as genuine atrocities such as Malmedy, which was coldblooded and systematic murder. War is not pleasant at the front, and those who do not fight should keep quiet while others kill for them.

#8    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,489 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 09 November 2013 - 04:09 PM, said:

War is not pleasant at the front, and those who do not fight should keep quiet while others kill for them.
So only trained killers have this right?

#9    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 November 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

So only trained killers have this right?
Your tone indicates that you have contempt for the military and have no experience of war, or if so, then perhaps you are a saint....

#10    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,489 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 09 November 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

Your tone indicates that you have contempt for the military and have no experience of war, or if so, then perhaps you are a saint....
In other words you'd rather not elaborate on your ignorant remark.

#11    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 November 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

In other words you'd rather not elaborate on your ignorant remark.
Really, and it's okay for you to make some throw away insulting remark is it. You some peace creep then, or some parasite happy to let others die for you while you sit at home whining.

#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,489 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 09 November 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Really, and it's okay for you to make some throw away insulting remark is it. You some peace creep then, or some parasite happy to let others die for you while you sit at home whining.
I asked a question. You clearly think its okay to turn a blind eye when combatants commit crimes, as long as they protect you, that's all you're worried about.

#13    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 09 November 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

I asked a question. You clearly think its okay to turn a blind eye when combatants commit crimes, as long as they protect you, that's all you're worried about.
It is unreasonable for frontline soldiers to think to obey every last dot and comma of international treaties when in action, as he was. The adrelenin rush is present, the fear of being killed yourself, the anger of knowing that your enemy will never take you prisoner and that they desecrate the bodies of your comrades. When these incidents happen, when the fighting has stopped and the front has moved on, then he would have a case to answer. War is bad and brutal and somethings should have a blind eye turned to them or otherwise the troops will fear to pull the trigger. This was not Abu Ghraib or Malmedy, it happened while combat was still taking place. It has always been recognised that all manner of things occur in face to face fighting, and it should be left at that, it is what happens after that, that should concern us.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 09 November 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#14    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,489 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 09 November 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

It is unreasonable for frontline soldiers to think to obey every last dot and comma of international treaties when in action, as he was. The adrelenin rush is present, the fear of being killed yourself, the anger of knowing that your enemy will never take you prisoner and that they desecrate the bodies of your comrades. When these incidents happen when the fighting has stopped and the front has moven on, then he would have a case to answer. War is bad and brutal and somethings should have a blind eye turned to them or otherwise the troops will fear to pull the trigger. This was not Abu Ghraib or Malmedy, it happened while combat was still taking place. It has always been recognised that all manner of things occur in face to face fighting, and it should be left at that, it is what happens after that should concern us.
No, I don't blame them for not following to a T. However this idea of keeping quiet and letting others kill for you is unreasonable. No one has a voice but other combatants?

#15    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 09 November 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

It is unreasonable for frontline soldiers to think to obey every last dot and comma of international treaties when in action, as he was. The adrelenin rush is present, the fear of being killed yourself, the anger of knowing that your enemy will never take you prisoner and that they desecrate the bodies of your comrades. When these incidents happen, when the fighting has stopped and the front has moved on, then he would have a case to answer. War is bad and brutal and somethings should have a blind eye turned to them or otherwise the troops will fear to pull the trigger. This was not Abu Ghraib or Malmedy, it happened while combat was still taking place. It has always been recognised that all manner of things occur in face to face fighting, and it should be left at that, it is what happens after that, that should concern us.

People cant expect soliders watching comrades getting maimed, shot or killed not to take it out on captives. If the Taliban caught one of our lads they'd cut his head off so I dont see what the problem is. His sentence should be quashed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users