Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

American war smoke and mirrors

ww2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Obama just does it exponentially, and in a military, monetary and technological forum .

I have to watch this one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2649274/

During World War II, a hand-picked group of American GI's undertook a bizarre mission: create a traveling road show of deception on the battlefields of Europe, with the German Army as their audience.
The 23rd Headquarters Special Troops used inflatable rubber tanks, sound trucks, and dazzling performance art to bluff the enemy again and again, often right along the front lines.
Many of the men picked to carry out these dangerous deception missions were artists. Some went on to become famous, including fashion designer Bill Blass. In their spare time, they painted and sketched their way across Europe, creating a unique and moving visual record of their war. Their secret mission was kept hushed up for nearly 50 years after the war's end.

Miss me?

#2    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,784 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 08 November 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Obama just does it exponentially, and in a military, monetary and technological forum .

During World War II, a hand-picked group of American GI's undertook a bizarre mission: create a traveling road show of deception on the battlefields of Europe, with the German Army as their audience.
The 23rd Headquarters Special Troops used inflatable rubber tanks, sound trucks, and dazzling performance art to bluff the enemy again and again, often right along the front lines.
Many of the men picked to carry out these dangerous deception missions were artists. Some went on to become famous, including fashion designer Bill Blass. In their spare time, they painted and sketched their way across Europe, creating a unique and moving visual record of their war. Their secret mission was kept hushed up for nearly 50 years after the war's end.

Rather ingenious. I remember learning about these guys in my military history classes. I must thank the people of England for putting up with our madness while we waited to move on Europe.  :)

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#3    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Poltergeist

• 2,208 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 08 November 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

Ah yes, I read about this in military history text!

Quite ingenious indeed.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#4    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

yeah these guys were truley amazing

#5    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,174 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Here I was thinking that Mescaline's "Magic Troupe" was a Commonwealth force...

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,762 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

The Monuments Men is similar to this - looks to be pretty funny.  Great cast also.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

View Postand then, on 08 November 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

The Monuments Men is similar to this - looks to be pretty funny.  Great cast also.
This is actually a documentary

Miss me?

#8    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Deception is a fundamental principle of military strategy and tactics.

I suspect it has been adopted by other parts of the government as well.

Edited by Babe Ruth, 09 November 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Also tagged with ww2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users