Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Found In Trash - A Box Of Otherworldly Notes,

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,214 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Found in the Trash: A Box of Otherworldly Notes and strange drawings

Drawings of flying craft, statements like "“Now things start to get a little odd. It seems that the artist saw something in Tampa, FL in 1977 that changed him … This appears to be an early sketch of the event”.

http://www.messyness...rworldly-notes/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,717 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Haven't had chance to look through it all, but at first glance - what a fantastic find! :tu:

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,214 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 10 November 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Haven't had chance to look through it all, but at first glance - what a fantastic find! :tu:

Yes it is, a bit like the voynich manuscript but readable!

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,396 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

A Beautiful Mind ....yeah....probably scizophrenic....just saying...

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#5    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

The last documents seem to be a design for a railroad roller bearing.  Typically a pair of simple taper bearings are used in RR truck applications.  For reasons unknown, this design has counter-rotating cylinder bearings and a complex retaining race.  I cannot imagine a railroad adopting such a design. It would be expensive to manufacture and would not offer any advantages over existing designs.  

The person who created these documents clearly had extensive training as a draftsman.  There is high degree of skill demonstrated in both the lettering and delineations,

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,214 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Found another link with MANY zoom-able images, and therefore readable. The author seems to have an Ezekiel's Wheel thing going on..

scroll thru them here
http://imgur.com/a/uCSg1

Edited by seeder, 10 November 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#7    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,494 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Pretty neat, and weird :) the drawings kind of remind me of the artwork style of the Thoth deck, or a series of posters from Encyclopedia Britannica my parents had when I was a kid.

#8    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

The crazy stuff seems to be from the 70's and 80's.  There is even a reference to Omni magazine which was a pseudo-scientific magazine produced by Bob Guccione.  Serious lowest-common-denominator stuff.

Edited by sinewave, 10 November 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#9    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, the guy was probably a draftsman or an engineer. The plastic like material is synthetic mylar, used commonly by draftsmen. I used to work with a fellow who was into drawing maps and such back before computers, the internet and satellite imagery.

I began my professional career as a draftsman then went on to get my BSME. The stuff look pretty familiar.

Apparently they belonged to a man by the name of Daniel Christiansen in St. Petersburg. At least that's the name some envelops are addressed to.

Edited by keninsc, 10 November 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#10    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 November 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Yeah, the guy was probably a draftsman or an engineer. The plastic like material is synthetic mylar, used commonly by draftsmen. I used to work with a fellow who was into drawing maps and such back before computers, the internet and satellite imagery.

I began my professional career as a draftsman then went on to get my BSME. The stuff look pretty familiar.

Yeah, that's probably modern vellum.  It was used for presentation drawings or for archival purposes.  Since the advent of computer drafting, those methods and materials have nearly vanished.

#11    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Several of the drawing are geometric which many draftsmen used to do in order to hone the drawing skills. I used to make many like them in my spare time back when I had my old drafting board and machine.

Yeah, they used to be common as dirt, now if you mention doing drawing on mylar or linen or vellum people look at you like you're wearing a bear skin and carrying a stone tipped spear.

He make a lot of references to OMNI magzine which died quietly in the eighties. I used to subscribe to it myself. The ex thought I was whacked for subscribing to it, but then I thought he subscription to Better Homes and Garden was strange as well.

The guy apparently was a very good free-hand drawer as well. He may have been a technical illustrator rather than a detail draftsman........he might have been both. My guess is the guy probably died and his family was just clearing out his things. That's the way of it, when we die everyone looks threw our deep personal stuff and then tosses it out in the trash.

Edited by keninsc, 10 November 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#12    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 10 November 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

Several of the drawing are geometric which many draftsmen used to do in order to hone the drawing skills. I used to make many like them in my spare time back when I had my old drafting board and machine.

Yeah, they used to be common as dirt, now if you mention doing drawing on mylar or linen or vellum people look at you like you're wearing a bear skin and carrying a stone tipped spear.

He make a lot of references to OMNI magzine which died quietly in the eighties. I used to subscribe to it myself. The ex thought I was whacked for subscribing to it, but then I thought he subscription to Better Homes and Garden was strange as well.

The guy apparently was a very good free-hand drawer as well. He may have been a technical illustrator rather than a detail draftsman........he might have been both. My guess is the guy probably died and his family was just clearing out his things. That's the way of it, when we die everyone looks threw our deep personal stuff and then tosses it out in the trash.

Unless it has value then they fight over who gets to have / sell it.

#13    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

True, that's why when I die I'm going to have a will with a no challenge clause. If you challenge the will then you get nothing, zero, zippo. Not that I have a great deal, but I have seen people fight over the damn lent in the dyer at times. "You really want great-grand mother's old underwear?"

Things people fight over, at times I simply don't understand, goes right over my head so high it doesn't even mess up my hair......what little hair I have that is.

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,589 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Good find, seeder. Will be interesting as the docs are further examined and crtiqued.

#15    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Maybe those drawings were part of a sci-fi story he was planning to write.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users