Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tory MP's claim for electricity to his stable

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

• Nadhim Zahawi, 46, claimed money for electricity used to run a horse riding stables at his home in Upper Tyfoe, Warwickshire
  • Today MP for Stratford-Upon-Avon apologised, saying he made a 'mistake'
  • Follows calls for police and IPSA to investigate his £6,000-a-year claims
  • Last week it was revealed that 340 MPs claim for electricity bills in their second homes, including Labour leader Ed Miliband
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostOhelemapit, on 11 November 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

• Nadhim Zahawi, 46, claimed money for electricity used to run a horse riding stables at his home in Upper Tyfoe, Warwickshire
  • Today MP for Stratford-Upon-Avon apologised, saying he made a 'mistake'
  • Follows calls for police and IPSA to investigate his £6,000-a-year claims
  • Last week it was revealed that 340 MPs claim for electricity bills in their second homes, including Labour leader Ed Miliband
View: Read more

MPs should be paid a decent wage because its a full time career with a lot of expenses. If they live away from London then yes they should have their own stop off otherwise traveling up and down the country becomes impractical for them. I say up the wage from £66k to £100k a year. That would be a yearly wage bill of about £75 million for Parliment which is a drop in the ocean compared to our GDP. It will stop the majority of the so called 'corruption' from MPs struggling to cover their costs and live at the same time.

I think the problem is people dont see where the money goes. Train tickets, plane tickets, hotel rooms, taxis, rent or mortgage for two properties, utility bills, supervison for the kids when away, it all soon mounts up. If they cant claim for these things then they should get the £100k a year.

#3    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostSilentHunter, on 11 November 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

MPs should be paid a decent wage because its a full time career with a lot of expenses. If they live away from London then yes they should have their own stop off otherwise traveling up and down the country becomes impractical for them. I say up the wage from £66k to £100k a year. That would be a yearly wage bill of about £75 million for Parliment which is a drop in the ocean compared to our GDP. It will stop the majority of the so called 'corruption' from MPs struggling to cover their costs and live at the same time.

I think the problem is people dont see where the money goes. Train tickets, plane tickets, hotel rooms, taxis, rent or mortgage for two properties, utility bills, supervison for the kids when away, it all soon mounts up. If they cant claim for these things then they should get the £100k a year.
so um how you going to raise wages? the expenses will increase because they buy expensive items or houses or cars etc

#4    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 11 November 2013 - 07:32 PM, said:

so um how you going to raise wages? the expenses will increase because they buy expensive items or houses or cars etc

By giving them a better wage but stopping the expenses. Their wage should cover all their needs.

#5    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well, at least this highlights why M.Ps are so laid back about energy companies putting up their prices every couple of months,
we're the mugs that pay their heating bills, so why the hell should they care?

p.s. Can somebody explain to me what OFGEM are for. ????
Because apparently they (& I quote) "Regulate the electricity and gas markets in Great Britain" but i've not seen them doing much 'regulating' lately.
Or could they possible be just another quango invented to line some more M.P.s pockets with?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#6    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

Off topic slightly but......
If the british public really wanted to stop the profiteering by the energy companies they could, all it would take is a bit of solidarity.
If everybody & i mean everybody that was with a particular supplier (say British Gas) switched to another supplier, i guarantee that within a month British Gas would drop their prices lower than anyone else. Then if everybody with say EDF switched to British Gas then within a month or two  EDF would undercut British Gas, then after that just the threat of everyone switching would be enough to make any supplier sweat.
The only trouble with this plan is that the people would not show such solidarity.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#7    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,570 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

I work for the government (US not UK) and whenever I have to travel for work my travel, lodging and meals is paid for, but I have to file a travel expense report, and account for every penny (well... anything over $25)...
Also prices are limited to the fair market value of expenses in the area I am traveling to...
I don't see why politicians can't be required to do the same thing... That way, it limits the excesses (and/or fraud if any), controls the costs by setting limits based on fair market value, and cuts back on some of the
special treatment pols get...

#8    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

View PostTaun, on 12 November 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I work for the government (US not UK) and whenever I have to travel for work my travel, lodging and meals is paid for, but I have to file a travel expense report, and account for every penny (well... anything over $25)...
Also prices are limited to the fair market value of expenses in the area I am traveling to...
I don't see why politicians can't be required to do the same thing... That way, it limits the excesses (and/or fraud if any), controls the costs by setting limits based on fair market value, and cuts back on some of the

Because they make the rules. simples.

― Groucho Marx

#9    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostTaun, on 12 November 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

We have a hate the politicians culture in my country which poor people, unemployed people and anybody who doesnt feel represented buys into. A lot of my people like to believe all their politicians are greedy and corrupt. When newpaper stories appear, not convictions based on evidence, the people love to have a whinge at what appears to be reinforcement of their beliefs about politicians.

Yet they can count how many politicians have been convicted for corruption over the last decade on one hand.

#10    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

The problem isn't that politicians are all corrupt, it's that the corrupt ones get away with it time and time again. Tell me ONE job us plebians have where we can be caught stealing out of the till or misappropriating company funds and still remain employed. Why is it robbing someone at knife point for $200 bucks lands you in jail, but taking thousands out of the public treasury only gets you a little bad press? The Rule of Law is only that if it applies to everyone.

I don't know what the British Labor Party is like, but I know the Australian one is an absolute haven for crooks.

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#11    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostSilentHunter, on 12 November 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

We have a hate the politicians culture in my country which poor people, unemployed people and anybody who doesnt feel represented buys into. A lot of my people like to believe all their politicians are greedy and corrupt. When newpaper stories appear, not convictions based on evidence, the people love to have a whinge at what appears to be reinforcement of their beliefs about politicians.

Yet they can count how many politicians have been convicted for corruption over the last decade on one hand.

http://en.wikipedia....icted_of_crimes

And a hundred others that haven't been convicted because when found out they said   'my accountant made a mistake'

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 12 November 2013 - 04:11 PM.

― Groucho Marx

#12    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostAlmagest, on 12 November 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

The problem isn't that politicians are all corrupt, it's that the corrupt ones get away with it time and time again. Tell me ONE job us plebians have where we can be caught stealing out of the till or misappropriating company funds and still remain employed. Why is it robbing someone at knife point for $200 bucks lands you in jail, but taking thousands out of the public treasury only gets you a little bad press? The Rule of Law is only that if it applies to everyone.

I don't know what the British Labor Party is like, but I know the Australian one is an absolute haven for crooks.

Yep, same here.

― Groucho Marx

#13    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

I wonder why many UK politicians are desperate to control what the Press reports!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#14    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,170 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

View PostSilentHunter, on 12 November 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

Todays news :-

The Conservative MP Nadine Dorries has apologised to the Commons after an investigation found she breached the rules of the House by failing to declare her earnings from ITV's 'I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here' and other media work.

Ms Dorries told MPs that her mistake was a "genuinely inadvertent breach of the rules".

― Groucho Marx

#15    SilentHunter

SilentHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 12 November 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....icted_of_crimes

And a hundred others that haven't been convicted because when found out they said   'my accountant made a mistake'

First of all do you release that's a list of 44 politicians going back decades not 100's? Second of all didn't you notice it says all crimes not those specifically related to financial corruption?

In every Parliament there's 700-800 MP's and some extra on top from bi-elections. Even if we say all those 44 were convicted in the last decade (they weren't by the way) that would still be a conviction rate of 0.2% - 0.4%. Those kind of figures don't signal a corruption problem. For those pointing out cases where the accountant got it wrong that isn't corruption either.

I think the problem is people making assumptions from media sensationalism. A corrupt politician appears and the next thing you know they must all be corrupt. Maybe its also people secretly finding joy in hating and being negative about others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users