Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Martian moon samples will have bits of Mars

mars phobos phobos-grunt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,596 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

Martian moon samples will have bits of Mars

Brown University said:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — A planned mission to return a sample from the Martian moon Phobos will likely be a twofer, according to a study by Brown University geologists.

The study helps to confirm the idea that the surface of Phobos contains tons of dust, soil, and rock blown off the Martian surface by large projectile impacts. Phobos’ orbital path plows through occasional plumes of Martian debris, meaning the tiny moon has been gathering Martian castoffs for millions of years. That means a sample-return mission planned by the Russian space agency could sample two celestial bodies for the price of one.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,502 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

My mind kind of wondered while reading this so a curious question . Would solar wind activity effect dust partical accumulation as well ?

Edited by ROGER, 12 November 2013 - 02:06 AM.

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users