Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bill to ban body art/augmentn passes senate

tattoos piercings

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

If this has been posted already, I missed it.

http://politicalblin...-passes-senate/

But apparently the insanity to violate even more personal rights, now extends to body art, augmentation and piercings.

~~~~~~~~~
Senator Missy Irvin of Mountain View, Arkansas sponsored the bill entitled ”An Act To Limit Body Art Procedures”. She says that body modifications should be limited to “traditional” tattoos and piercings.
Her proposal was to essentially ban scarification procedures and dermal implants, as well as certain tattoos which remain yet to be defined as by the vague language of the bill she sponsored.

Almost unbelievably, this bill passed by a 26-4 vote. Following this, the bill was sent to the House, where it took on even more vague language. See the link above for the bill as it was eventually “compromised” on in the House. The scarification ban from the Senate version was removed, while considerable ambiguous language remained. The House “compromise” bans dermal implants unless performed by a doctor. This essentially, and in practice, outlaws the body modification.
As well, the bill’s vague, undefined language – even in the edited, House version – while editing out some of the original language on tattoos, fails to define a number of important issues raised by the Senate version, including what they mean by “cosmetic” tattoos as opposed to “non-cosmetic” tattoos.

If the government dictating what you can and can’t do with your body bothers you, SPREAD THE WORD!

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 12 November 2013 - 07:27 AM.

Miss me?

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,813 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

Don't give Queensland ideas!
Because they already want to so this.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,829 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

"She says that body modifications should be limited to “traditional” tattoos and piercings. "
Well that is not so bad, traditional tattoos and piercings can be very extreme, as long as by traditional they mean tribal and there is no limit on cultural and religious styles. It mean that all parts of the body can still be tattooed and that all piercings can continue to be carried out.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#4    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,926 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

I believe implants should only be performed by a doctor but if the language is too vague then there will be infringement on personal freedoms for some of the more extensive piercings I've seen around.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#5    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

POPULAR

First off... I deeply dislike tattoos and "extreme" piercings...

However, I support another person's decision to get (or not get) these as they see fit... IMO the only restrictions any govt should place on
these is in the lines of safety - not esthetics... making certain the procedures are sanitary, etc...

Also... there is nothing quite as dangerous as a vaguely written law...

#6    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,450 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostTaun, on 12 November 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

First off... I deeply dislike tattoos and "extreme" piercings...

However, I support another person's decision to get (or not get) these as they see fit... IMO the only restrictions any govt should place on
these is in the lines of safety - not esthetics... making certain the procedures are sanitary, etc...

Also... there is nothing quite as dangerous as a vaguely written law...

I agree with you completely. It might be (in my estimation) 'silly as all get out' to mess with your body in this manner, but it's not the government's job to dictate about cosmetic choices.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#7    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

So this means officers now have a reason to see you naked if they suspect you might have tattoos?

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

View Postbulveye, on 12 November 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

"She says that body modifications should be limited to “traditional” tattoos and piercings. "
Well that is not so bad, traditional tattoos and piercings can be very extreme, as long as by traditional they mean tribal and there is no limit on cultural and religious styles. It mean that all parts of the body can still be tattooed and that all piercings can continue to be carried out.

Well this is the thing. They are being very vague about defining what is "traditional"
This may mean only ear piercings are allowed?
Or MOM tattoos inside a heart.
This is a HUGE in figment on civil rights.

I do not like too many tats, or extreme body mods, but it's none of my business.
People also make a living doing these things, and some forms of fashion revolve around these things.
I don't like bad hair pieces and bad tweed suits, but I don't tell the Senate how to dress or do their comb over, and I wish they would be what's made illegal

Miss me?

#9    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,761 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 12 November 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Well this is the thing. They are being very vague about defining what is "traditional"
This may mean only ear piercings are allowed?
Or MOM tattoos inside a heart.
This is a HUGE in figment on civil rights.

I do not like too many tats, or extreme body mods, but it's none of my business.
People also make a living doing these things, and some forms of fashion revolve around these things.
I don't like bad hair pieces and bad tweed suits, but I don't tell the Senate how to dress or do their comb over, and I wish they would be what's made illegal
Hey everyone,
See how this Obamacare thing is going?  (huh)  Oh yeah.   First they tell you what you must buy...then they tell you what you must NOT eat.  Now they are telling you what you can and cannot say.   Freedom of Speech?   Right...that archaic idea from the nimrods of the past lovingly known by the prolatereat as the 'founding fathers'.   Well...there is a new Father in town boys.  Obama.  He is your Father, He is your Mother, He is your sister and most of all, he is your BIG BROTHER!  

I don't have any tats.  I don't like them.  I don't want one...but by god...if anyone tells me I can't have one...I'll go out tomorrow and get ten of them!

Word to the Government:  Leave us the hell alone!

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#10    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postjoc, on 12 November 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Hey everyone,
See how this Obamacare thing is going?  (huh)  Oh yeah.   First they tell you what you must buy...then they tell you what you must NOT eat.  Now they are telling you what you can and cannot say.   Freedom of Speech?   Right...that archaic idea from the nimrods of the past lovingly known by the prolatereat as the 'founding fathers'.   Well...there is a new Father in town boys.  Obama.  He is your Father, He is your Mother, He is your sister and most of all, he is your BIG BROTHER!  

I don't have any tats.  I don't like them.  I don't want one...but by god...if anyone tells me I can't have one...I'll go out tomorrow and get ten of them!

Word to the Government:  Leave us the hell alone!

I can't actually read the article (it's blocked here at work) but unless it says otherwise, this really has very little to do with Obamacare... I am by no means a supporter of Mr Obama, or his policies - and I strongly distrust
"Obamacare"... but Obamacare is not the problem here...

#11    third_eye

third_eye

¤_Ě M ă Ġ î ń Ć Ř Ī ü Ş_ ¤

• 8,034 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Last I heard they're planning to have licenses issued for 'approved tattoos and piercings' for a small fee ... that's what some ink forums are debating anyway ...

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#12    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hrm... I opened the PDF that is with the article. It kind of only changes a bit of definition, looks like it adds in some language- though it's titled limiting body art, it didn't actually say anything about limitations. Being dissatisfied with that, I looked up SB 387. And there's more than tat stuff in it, there's also things that apply to cosmetic procedures- like facial peels or skin lightening at dermatologists offices. There are prohibitions listed, but it's more along the lines of can't tat drunk people or give tats in nail salons.
I might be mistaken in this, but looking at the two pieces, it kind of looks like the piece in the article is amending who is performing what body art rather than limiting body art itself. Adding subdermal and scarring to the list, and limiting it to what artists can perform those procedures.

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

So I can still get my Double Ought Prince Albert done?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#14    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postrashore, on 12 November 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Hrm... I opened the PDF that is with the article. It kind of only changes a bit of definition, looks like it adds in some language- though it's titled limiting body art, it didn't actually say anything about limitations. Being dissatisfied with that, I looked up SB 387. And there's more than tat stuff in it, there's also things that apply to cosmetic procedures- like facial peels or skin lightening at dermatologists offices. There are prohibitions listed, but it's more along the lines of can't tat drunk people or give tats in nail salons.
I might be mistaken in this, but looking at the two pieces, it kind of looks like the piece in the article is amending who is performing what body art rather than limiting body art itself. Adding subdermal and scarring to the list, and limiting it to what artists can perform those procedures.

Ah, ok. That sounds much more reasonable. I was picturing a bunch of old conservative Christians in a big room raising their hands when the phrase "ban tattoos" is spoken by the presenter. :innocent:

“These International bankers and Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests control the majority of newspapers and the columns of these newspapers to club into submission or drive out of public office officials who refuse to do the bidding of the powerful corrupt cliques which compose the invisible government.”

- Roosevelt

#15    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

View PostRafterman, on 12 November 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

So I can still get my Double Ought Prince Albert done?

Do it quick!

Miss me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users