Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Milwaukee Will Fight Slippery Roads

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,253 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Milwaukee might not salt its icy roads this winter. Instead, the city plans to cover its potentially hazardous motorways with cheese brine, the salt-and-water solution used in the production of cheese. The brine, considered a wasteful byproduct, is apparently cheaper and much more abundant than rock salt. (Well, at least it is in Wisconsin, the country’s leader in cheese production.)

http://www.businessw...th-cheese-brine

Thought this was interesting and decided to share :)

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#2    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,606 posts

• Question everything

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

That's going to smell interesting come spring.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

I'd quite like to taste that.

#4    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,253 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Well, brine don't smell or taste like much- it's pretty much saltwater with a little whey in it to make the pH right. It won't really smell like anything come spring because it will wash away with the melting snow and spring rains.
I bet it probably isn't quite so harsh on cars like road salt is.

#5    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,764 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Interesting idea.  When waste products can be put to good use it's satisfying :)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I've read that you can do something similar with the leftovers from beer production.

The problem is getting enough of the stuff and salt is cheap.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,606 posts

• Question everything

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

View Postrashore, on 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

Well, brine don't smell or taste like much- it's pretty much saltwater with a little whey in it to make the pH right. It won't really smell like anything come spring because it will wash away with the melting snow and spring rains.
I bet it probably isn't quite so harsh on cars like road salt is.

On it's own, no, but if they're brining cheese with it, it's going to pick up aromatics off the cheese. Now it could just smell faintly like the residue in a bag a of cheese curd if at all, which would be awesome, or it could end up like the whey they spread on fields sometimes, which is worse than liquid manure.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#8    CatFromHell

CatFromHell

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

At least they're putting something down on the roads which is more than they do in Britain now.

#9    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,253 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 13 November 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

On it's own, no, but if they're brining cheese with it, it's going to pick up aromatics off the cheese. Now it could just smell faintly like the residue in a bag a of cheese curd if at all, which would be awesome, or it could end up like the whey they spread on fields sometimes, which is worse than liquid manure.
Yeah, field whey can be icky- but then it's more whey and often applied when it can warm up and sort of rot the whey. Brine has tons of salt and very little whey, so it sort of preserves the whey and since it's winter applied, not so much smell.
From personal experience, I find whey to have more food smell, but brine just smells salty.

#10    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,557 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

it's interesting, that's for sure. around here we still use sand a lot more than salt, but i've heard there's a lot of uncertainty over the effectiveness of sand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users