Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Is anyone else getting annoyed with texting?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:17 AM

So im 19 and I get the whole texting thing, iv had phases were I have done it a lot but honestly now I am starting to getting annoyed. Some people just text CONSTANTLY and it seems like they don't even pay attention to the moment. its starting to bother me when im with people and they start texting a lot.

Im starting to text less and less. Im just curious if all this texting is starting to annoy anyone else? :td:

Edited by spartan max2, 13 November 2013 - 01:19 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,074 posts

• I don't want to believe; I want to know.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

It is a fad that will fade enough so that it once again becomes a functional tool.

Sadly I have been in restaurants where people are sitting next to one another but not talking. Instead they are jabbing at buttons on their devices; I mean, what's the point of going with your friends anywhere if they are just going to stare at tiny screens all day long?

I am sure this texting has its uses and I am glad it has been developed but it should not be replacing regular, everyday conversations.
Oh, and texting while at the dinner table at home? Nuh-uh. Shouldn't be allowed. Devices should be off and stay out of the kitchen and dining room.

Posted Image If you could go to my scroll and click my other egg, I'd appreciate it!
Visit my Forest of Mirrors Hold
My Tale of Dragons Lair

#3    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,263 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

i really dislike texting with my boyfriend rather than talking on the phone, but that's usually how we communicate when we aren't together.
i don't know too many people who are textaholics thank goodness but  my daughter has her face in her phone constantly

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 14,659 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

I've always hated it.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

Facebook is worse IMO

Nine times out of ten they arnt txting, they are updating their FB, or replying to a alert.

Edited by The Id3al Experience, 13 November 2013 - 03:02 AM.

Posted Image

#6    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,188 posts

• Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I'm younger than that now. Dylan

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

I am on the opposite side of the universe from "perfect".

But I still have to comment that the worst I've seen is young moms and dads ignoring their own babies, toddlers, preschoolers for FB, phones, etc., to the point of neglect of the child. It is ugly and heartbreaking to watch.
Then the child get a label or two when tested in school or by a doctor and he/she hasn't developed language and social skills.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 13 November 2013 - 05:51 AM.

"That was definitely a bigfoot, you could tell by the bear-shaped body" YT poster

#7    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 28,243 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

View PostLilly, on 13 November 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

I've always hated it.

Me too, and I still do.

Most of the time, just calling would be way quicker and easier.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#8    Nighthawk9653

Nighthawk9653

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

• Remember what peace there may be in Silence.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

Definitely. I hate texting, even though according to everyone else my age I should love it.
It's just so.. Inconvenient. I only really text when it's an emergency, or I'm letting people know where I am or what I'm doing, like texting a parent so they can pick me up :P
Also, I can't seem to get into the mindset of being addicted to my phone. It's neat and all, and I can play games on it, but I don't like to rely on things. I don't like to carry it with me because I never use it and it just sits there like a brick.

Back on topic: I really hate it when you're with a group of friends and they're all fiddling on their phone, or texting and whatever. When you're with people, you should be interacting and talking with them.
There have been studies done that link shallowness to texting. They just aren't sure if texting causes a person to become shallow, or if shallow people like texting.

Either way, I hate texting. I like real-ness, and talking face to face. Plus it's extremely annoying. Just buzzing all the time, then you have to make up an excuse just so whoever was texting you will stop.
I have far better things to do with my time besides tapping away on a weird little electronic device :/

Two possibilities exist: Either we are all alone in the universe or we are not.
                                Both are equally terrifying.  -Arthur C. Clark

I live in a world of fantasy, so keep your reality away from me. I see what I want, I want what I see and that is all okay with me.  
~ Itzah C. Kret

#9    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• 1,213 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

At first I was against it but since I have tried it and found it very useful at times I have grown to like it.

Being able to receive and leave family members and friends important pieces of info which may be accessed when one is free is great.

It's also very handy to refer back to, instead of having to look for a piece of paper with the info written on it.

There are also times when a pic is worth a thousand words and getting one with a text is almost always fun.

I've also tried the talk-to-text feature and it can save a lot of typing, but can be inaccurate too, which you have to go back and correct sometimes.

I agree though that there are many social situations where you should just put your device away out of courtesy and enjoy being who you're with. A lot depends on how comfortable they are with devices being used.

I think that we're all evolving as a whole being, and as the connections between all of the individual cells (each of us and our devices - pun intended) grows, we have to understand that this is happening.

It is something that is truly marvellous when you think about it...

When I think of when I was a child and how isolated I was from the world, and how now I can connect with so many others around the world in an instant through our common brain - the web, it's amazing...

Texting is all a part of that connectiveness, and it's great too. :)

#10    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,723 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 13 November 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

So im 19 and I get the whole texting thing, iv had phases were I have done it a lot but honestly now I am starting to getting annoyed. Some people just text CONSTANTLY and it seems like they don't even pay attention to the moment. its starting to bother me when im with people and they start texting a lot.

Im starting to text less and less. Im just curious if all this texting is starting to annoy anyone else? :td:
Millions have gone through the same phase - it's nothing new.

Depending on who it is and the situation I'll either call or text - I still text regularly and I'm 26. But I have always attempted to write texts more properly literate with at least some form of punctuation.
The thing that annoys me is people that excessively use acronyms or abbreviations etc.

Wow check out this list of acronyms!: http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

Edit: Proper literacy and punctuation.

Edited by Timonthy, 13 November 2013 - 08:44 AM.

Posted Image

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,074 posts

• I don't want to believe; I want to know.

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Why is it that these days if a person has a cell phone or device, they are almost always yaking or jabbing buttons so they can "talk" yet when they are with their families or friends they magically cannot find anything to talk about. They cannot even leave those things at home so they can actually BE with their friends.

What is so interesting and important that people can yak all day long on a phone yet cannot even manage a "Hello" or anything when in talking face-to-face?

Don't misunderstand, I am not against  new technology but I have noticed that before cell phones, people went about their lives well enough but now they feel they  must have it glued to their heads, blabbing all day long no matter where they are.

Suddenly all these people, who rarely said anything before, now have all sorts of stupid and trivial garbage that they feel they must spew out into the ether whether they are in a store, library, restaurant or even the bathroom.
Odd....

Posted Image If you could go to my scroll and click my other egg, I'd appreciate it!
Visit my Forest of Mirrors Hold
My Tale of Dragons Lair

#12    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,650 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostNighthawk9653, on 13 November 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Definitely. I hate texting, even though according to everyone else my age I should love it.
It's just so.. Inconvenient. I only really text when it's an emergency, or I'm letting people know where I am or what I'm doing, like texting a parent so they can pick me up :P
Also, I can't seem to get into the mindset of being addicted to my phone. It's neat and all, and I can play games on it, but I don't like to rely on things. I don't like to carry it with me because I never use it and it just sits there like a brick.

Back on topic: I really hate it when you're with a group of friends and they're all fiddling on their phone, or texting and whatever. When you're with people, you should be interacting and talking with them.
There have been studies done that link shallowness to texting. They just aren't sure if texting causes a person to become shallow, or if shallow people like texting.

Either way, I hate texting. I like real-ness, and talking face to face. Plus it's extremely annoying. Just buzzing all the time, then you have to make up an excuse just so whoever was texting you will stop.
I have far better things to do with my time besides tapping away on a weird little electronic device :/
Like using a keyboard on a message board :w00t:

I text, but not too often.   With my daughter when she needs picked up.   With my brothers when I have a quick question.   I don't get the long text conversations people have where they don't say anything but a few LOL's and stuff.  
My daughter has a boyfriend and they never talk on the phone.   It's all texts.   Seems odd.   When I was young, I think I had more feelings for my girlfriend from talking for hours on the phone than anything else (except maybe one thing).

#13    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,650 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostRyu, on 13 November 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Why is it that these days if a person has a cell phone or device, they are almost always yaking or jabbing buttons so they can "talk" yet when they are with their families or friends they magically cannot find anything to talk about. They cannot even leave those things at home so they can actually BE with their friends.

What is so interesting and important that people can yak all day long on a phone yet cannot even manage a "Hello" or anything when in talking face-to-face?

Don't misunderstand, I am not against  new technology but I have noticed that before cell phones, people went about their lives well enough but now they feel they  must have it glued to their heads, blabbing all day long no matter where they are.

Suddenly all these people, who rarely said anything before, now have all sorts of stupid and trivial garbage that they feel they must spew out into the ether whether they are in a store, library, restaurant or even the bathroom.
Odd....

Now Facebook is different.   While I have an account and enjoy looking at it from time to time, I get annoyed at the people who post crap.   "I'm at the gym".    "Went shopping today".   I don't care!!
I do like Facebook for a couple things.    I can keep up with old friends.  I can be more aware of what is going on inside my own circle of friends and family.  Some of my cousins set up a group where only family is.  Family I hadn't talked with in years.   Now, through this avenue, we have planned a camping trip next summer.   There will be about 50 of us there.   Should be fun.
I'm just more of a reader.   I don't post much.

#14    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,137 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

I like texting, it's useful. Nice to send random hugs to people or send messages that don't necessarily need attention right away. But then, I live a couple states and a time zone away from where I used to so that might have something to do with it. And I'm not fond of chatting on the phone, so that probably helps too.

I do utterly loathe how some people handle their phones. Like touching their phone and driving- I hated it when it was just phones, extra hate it with texting. Personally, I won't do it. And phone use while at the table- that's a serious peeve of mine. Really rude, kind of tells the people you are with that whatever it is on your phone is far preferable to being in their company.

#15    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,673 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

I don't mind texting depending on the situation.  Sometimes it is easier (and cheaper) than calling.  Anyone who knows me though knows not to text if they need an immediate reply because I can easily go most of the day without checking my phone or putting it on the charger if it's dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users