Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Stone tipped spears predate humans by 85,000

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,261 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

So animals used to be a lot smarter than us and were using stone tipped spears to slaughter each other. :tu:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,219 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Uh...pre-humans (in this case Heidelberg man) made the stone tipped spears. Animals tend to rip each other apart with teeth and claws!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

Did not know that the Heidelberg man was not human... but then again the piece is according to the editorial quality of Fox News.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,261 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 November 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Did not know that the Heidelberg man was not human... but then again the piece is according to the editorial quality of Fox News.
Actually no.
By Jennifer Viegas
Digging History
Published November 14, 2013
Discovery News

I've never found Fox News reports anymore misleading than CNN reports.

#6    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,549 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

That's not much better Myles, as it's already understood in the scientific community that any member of the genus Homo is considered human. Which obviously would make Heidelberg Man (Homo heidelbergensis) a human. The point of interest per the article is really this, at what level of humanities existance did we start making spears?

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#7    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 14 November 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

The point of interest per the article is really this, at what level of humanities existance did we start making spears?

cormac

Probably right after we got unhappy with clubs.

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for clearing that up cormac. So, our distant ancestor were indeed human, just not modern humans (is this correct?).

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 14 November 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Probably right after we got unhappy with clubs.

LOL!

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#9    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,549 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

View PostLilly, on 14 November 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up cormac. So, our distant ancestor were indeed human, just not modern humans (is this correct?).

LOL!

Hi Lilly,

Correct. All humans fall within the genus Homo, which starts with Homo habilis c.2.5 mya. Anatomically modern humans (AMH) originate c.200,000 BP as supported by both the archaeological finds of Omo Kibish, Ethiopia (Omo 1 and 2) as well as genetic studies relating to mitochondrial DNA haplogroup L c.192,400 BP. Behaviorally modern humans date to no earlier AFAIK than 100,000 BP. Swede could elaborate more on the latter, but what we see quite often in the media is a sizeable lack of understanding of the entire human line, each groups relation to the others within same, as well as the nomenclature already established. Hope that helps.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,840 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

I wonder if  pointed  sticks , without stone tips,  were in use for  stabbing game as early as clubs.     Observing other animals hunt, we would learn that  Piercing the flesh of the prey was the most commonly used method.    What animal clubs it's prey to death?       A big hand held Tooth would work fine ... until you figured out you could also throw it.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 14 November 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

Correct. All humans fall within the genus Homo, which starts with Homo habilis c.2.5 mya. Anatomically modern humans (AMH) originate c.200,000 BP as supported by both the archaeological finds of Omo Kibish, Ethiopia (Omo 1 and 2) as well as genetic studies relating to mitochondrial DNA haplogroup L c.192,400 BP. Behaviorally modern humans date to no earlier AFAIK than 100,000 BP. Swede could elaborate more on the latter, but what we see quite often in the media is a sizeable lack of understanding of the entire human line, each groups relation to the others within same, as well as the nomenclature already established. Hope that helps.

Very helpful, thanks. I'm always impressed by some of the things I learn here on UM.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,317 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

View Postlightly, on 14 November 2013 - 11:35 PM, said:

I wonder if  pointed  sticks , without stone tips,  were in use for  stabbing game as early as clubs. Observing other animals hunt, we would learn that  Piercing the flesh of the prey was the most commonly used method. What animal clubs it's prey to death?    A big hand held Tooth would work fine ... until you figured out you could also throw it.

There were horn tipped spears too, as well as fire hardened wood. Sometimes all three types have been found in the same paleontological dig. Probably a question of "economical" capability of the bearer.

Edited by questionmark, 15 November 2013 - 02:19 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

I was thinking of the Boxgrove site in Southern England where rhinos were butchered with stone tools about 500,000 years ago by Homo heidelbergenis. They apparently used wood spears. There was another site in Germany where the actual complete spears were found.
As for what Questionmark said about "economic capabilities". Here in New Jersey during the Archaic flintknapping was a specialized skill done only by certain craftsmen. Some of the more unskilled hunters probably could not "afford" them and that is the reason we find antler spearpoint tips. The same thing might have occurred in other areas.

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,840 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 15 November 2013 - 02:16 PM, said:

There were horn tipped spears too, as well as fire hardened wood. Sometimes all three types have been found in the same paleontological dig. Probably a question of "economical" capability of the bearer.

thanks q,   ya, i knew of fire hardened wood tips , and bone tips,  .. forgot about horn tips,  good idea though. We probably ate fruits and nuts and greens and bugs and worms and whatnot  for a lonnng time before  we went hunting for larger food?

* interesting piney, (and good to see you back in this neck of the woods)     I actually had just typed ..  " Eventually,  the guy that was handiest at making stone tips must have been rich! lol "  ...   but deleted it.

Edited by lightly, 15 November 2013 - 03:27 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 14 November 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

And if Man is 85,000 years older as a race, I'm sure Fox news will blame it on the Democrats somehow. :yes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users