Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Bizarre Cellphone Incident

mystery technology phone unexplainable

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    mistermike

mistermike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• Thankfully my magician veterinarian was able to pull that hat out of my rabbit.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

This evening me, my girlfriend and two of her friends went to dinner.
If I hadn't seen this as it unfolded I would have doubted the sequence of events I witnessed.

One of her friends Elliot, noticed a call coming in on his Samsung Galaxy (Verizon). It was from my girlfriends iPhone 5s (ATT). At first the suspicion was she was accidentally dialing him somehow, so she takes her phone out of her purse and to our shock the iPhone isn't even making a call. Elliot shows me the incoming call on the phone-definitely her number. Immediately, the other friend Tim's iPhone 4s (Verizon) starts ringing. It's a call from Elliot. However his phone is still showing my GF's incoming call.
It gets stranger still.
Tim's friend Scott (not present) texts him  to say he got a phone call from another friend Donny (not present) and when he answered... he heard Tim's voice mail greeting!

Both Elliot and my GF's phone log do not show the outgoing calls.

So to break it down:

Phone A gets incoming call from phone B
Phone B shows no dialing activity.
Simultaneously,Phone C receives a call from Phone B.
Phone B shows no dialing activity.
Phone D texts Phone C to inform he received a call from Phone E that when answered, played the voice mail greeting from Phone C.

Phones A and B show no record of the outgoing calls.

This all happened within 5 minutes at most.

Only way it could have got any weirder is if they answered those calls!

Any reasonable explanations?

#2    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

I knew that the airwaves would one day become overcrowded and various individual phone signals would inevitably intersect with others, causing havoc, chaos and confusion in the cellular phone world. Now it appears this has happened, just as I prophesied.

I fear that the next step in this nefarious process will be that the phones will actually turn their interconnected signals into a form of mass cognition. From that point, world domination by cell phones is simply a matter of time.

Or maybe you all had a party line?

Now that I got all that off my chest, let me suggest that the precision with which we expect our technology to function is not equivalent to the ability of the microcircuits in question to do their job as asked. That probably sounds as crazy and ridiculous as my first three paragraphs above, but it has been my experience of every piece of electronic technology I have ever handled. The potential of these miniature computers (that's what these phones are) far outstrips the constraints we think we have put on them.

All this having been said, I've got to go now because the people with the gurney are here with their big, noisy van with flashing lights.

Oh, and, by the way---welcome to UM!

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#3    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

Honestly networks jsut glitch up like that sometimes, it's nothing sinister or paranormal. Just an annoying thing tech does sometimes.

If it keeps happening then just swap em out.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#4    sophSPOOK

sophSPOOK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

That is weird. I wouldnt say its a glitch at all. How the hell can phones call all by themselves? Interesting i say.

#5    mistermike

mistermike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• Thankfully my magician veterinarian was able to pull that hat out of my rabbit.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

Thanks szentgyorgy for the welcome! Interesting theory indeed.  Kelevra, your take makes sense, just baffled as to how different phones on different networks would all glitch simultaneously and within only the circle of friends mentioned. I'm sure the tech underlying it all is beyond my ken, of course.

#6    sophSPOOK

sophSPOOK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

I have heard of stories where a deceased loved one has called a living relative before. Their caller ID (name and number) came up on the phone screen and when the person answered they heard the deceased voice. Things are weird. We live in a weird and strange world. Some things can't be explained and i like it. Keeps us thinking and wondering.

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Postszentgyorgy, on 16 November 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

I knew that the airwaves would one day become overcrowded and various individual phone signals would inevitably intersect with others, causing havoc, chaos and confusion in the cellular phone world. Now it appears this has happened, just as I prophesied.

I fear that the next step in this nefarious process will be that the phones will actually turn their interconnected signals into a form of mass cognition. From that point, world domination by cell phones is simply a matter of time.

Or maybe you all had a party line?

Now that I got all that off my chest, let me suggest that the precision with which we expect our technology to function is not equivalent to the ability of the microcircuits in question to do their job as asked. That probably sounds as crazy and ridiculous as my first three paragraphs above, but it has been my experience of every piece of electronic technology I have ever handled. The potential of these miniature computers (that's what these phones are) far outstrips the constraints we think we have put on them.

All this having been said, I've got to go now because the people with the gurney are here with their big, noisy van with flashing lights.

Oh, and, by the way---welcome to UM!
The mass cognition is already here.  We call it public opinion, and with chat rooms and message boards and instant news and so on it is steadily getting more efficient.  The one thing it seems to lack so far in order to become a sentient being is a mechanism of forming single thoughts.

#8    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostsophSPOOK, on 16 November 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

I have heard of stories where a deceased loved one has called a living relative before. Their caller ID (name and number) came up on the phone screen and when the person answered they heard the deceased voice. Things are weird. We live in a weird and strange world. Some things can't be explained and i like it. Keeps us thinking and wondering.

Of course it was TV, but one of the better Twilight Zone episodes from the 1960's was about a woman who kept getting brief, plaintive phone calls from her recently deceased husband. Of course she freaks out, it's during a thunderstorm, etc. etc. She calls the cops and they trace her phone line to the cemetery where he's buried, and discover that the line is down because of the storm, and is draped across his gravestone. . .

It is a weird and strange world. I also think there are too many radio signals crisscrossing in the air--something's bound to 'happen'.

Welcome to the UM forums.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

Sounds like the NSA got all their wires crossed tonight.
Ring them up and tell them to keep your lines straight. You all don't appreciate their screw ups in their monitoring you all in their unconstitutional endeavors

THANKS OBAMA!

:lol:

Miss me?

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

Yea we can use some NSA monitoring of what the spirits are up to.

#11    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm thinking it was a proximity issue together with the phones memory of previous made calls between the various numbers - it may have automatically connected the networks in anticipation of a group setup and some code identified this background "connectivity" as an incoming call - definitely a glitch in the coding.

Edited by libstaK, 16 November 2013 - 11:52 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#12    mistermike

mistermike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

libstaK- thanks your theory seems very plausible even without knowing the technical details. In fact, I asked my GF if Elliot was the last person she called, she said yes. And possibly Tim was the last person Elliot called. Tim's voicemail greeting playing on someone else's phone as it called a fourth person...still can't conceive of how that glitch would happen.

Szentgyorgy- Good point. I suppose even with different phone models and carriers they are all using the same radio signal range so who knows!

sophSpook- these mysteries whether explained or not are always a source of wonder for sure.

Simbi Laveau- We all joked that it was NSA screwing up as well lol

#13    3.0

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Obviously, ... your phones were talking to themselves!

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

Well Cell phone radio waves are bounced off satellites,which send and receive thousands of calls a second,the calls are queued up and sent back but some times high atmospherics interfere and so does the suns bursts of energy hitting us so the poor old satellite gets a bit confused and sends messages to the wrong destinations or delays calls.I've had calls which were sent early morning which I had not received until 3 or 4 hours later,due to atmospherics,nothing weird about that its what the reception is like in your immediate area.I would start wondering if you receive a call or voice mail from your mate,which he didn't send.....Why is a wrong number never engaged ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    mistermike

mistermike

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

spud- exactly what has me scratching my head: I checked both phones that made the outgoing calls minutes after and they had no record of making them. The prior calls however were in the log and were answered properly hours earlier. I've experienced the phenomenon you mentioned of delayed texts and voicemails before as well, makes sense about network congestion.
Closer to solving this mystery hopefully thanks everyone for your input!

Also tagged with mystery, technology, phone, unexplainable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users