Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where does consciousness come from?

consciousness

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,048 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

It's a question that's perplexed philosophers for centuries and scientists for decades: Where does consciousness come from? We know it exists, at least in ourselves. But how it arises from chemistry and electricity in our brains is an unsolved mystery.

http://www.wired.com...sciousness/all/

Posted Image

#2    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:07 AM

When I find myself contemplating this I always tend to travel back to childhood and pull apart the various veils that cloaked 'boring' (too complex) thoughts in favour of fun and frolicking, children and animals are more acutely aware than adult human beings, they have clarity of direction despite not being in control of their environments, they make believe they are, there's some kinda streamlined projection/purpose in a fragile layer around our shells that we burn away as we mature and branch out into our societies, don't get me wrong, trynna live with an infant's mindset or animal's skillset in our world is doomed for failure but we kinda trim and trade primitive rapport for practical profit.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#3    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,071 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

I've always been of the opinion of our consciousness being the end result of a "hive-mind" system of our individual brain cells.  If we were a single form of thought with no variation, why would we ever be indecisive about anything?

edit: Just read the article, and I like his theory that even the internet could potentially be conscious as a simple law of the universe.

Edited by Wickian, 17 November 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#4    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

I was just wondering today where our consciousness goes when we die

#5    Jack Skellington

Jack Skellington

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

• I am a wanderer. A seeker of the Truth. I stumble often along the path and by the grace of God, discover much while on my knees.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

I just woke up with it...

:innocent:

Not Joemama
No longer AnneOminous

#6    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,128 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:35 AM

Great question. No one, I think, really knows the answer but it has fascinated me my entire life. I think it is all about the neural net in your brain. As far as where our consciousness goes when we die? Same place the light goes when a light bulb burns out. It's just not being generated any more.

#7    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 17 November 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

Great question. No one, I think, really knows the answer but it has fascinated me my entire life. I think it is all about the neural net in your brain. As far as where our consciousness goes when we die? Same place the light goes when a light bulb burns out. It's just not being generated any more.

`Is this the same if we are unconscious do you think?

#8    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,128 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:52 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 17 November 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

`Is this the same if we are unconscious do you think?
I don't think it's the same exactly but similar. Kind of like a light on a rheostat dimmer switch to further the analogy.In death the connections are broken, in unconsciousness just powered down, so to speak, though the sub-conscious coming out in dreams is a whole different mystery.

#9    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

As a developing unborn we slowly evolve the tools we need to be aware of our being, so it makes sense to some degree that consciousness and intelligence might be inherited.

#10    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,128 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 17 November 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

As a developing unborn we slowly evolve the tools we need to be aware of our being, so it makes sense to some degree that consciousness and intelligence might be inherited.
I agree but I think it's more complex than that at least as far as intelligence as I think environment plays a major role as well

#11    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

It is interesting that identical twins display some sort of Bi-consciousness, for lack of a better description

#12    taniwha

taniwha

• 1,751 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 17 November 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

I agree but I think it's more complex than that at least as far as intelligence as I think environment plays a major role as well

http://www.unexplain...kK14&tid=257929

I agree, though the line between intelligence and consciousness appears to be closing

#13    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,128 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

View Posttaniwha, on 17 November 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

http://www.unexplain...kK14&tid=257929

I agree, though the line between intelligence and consciousness appears to be closing
Excellent link. I saw something on this recently on the science channel. Fascinating stuff. Obviously machines are capable of exhibiting intelligence. Some might dispute this but the fact that machines can beat the best humans in chess now speaks volumes to me. Self awareness I'm not so sure of though I suspect it will one day happen.

#14    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 17 November 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

I'd like to think our consciousness is more like the electricity, the light bulb is our brain and body and the light is our individual ego depending on the color, strength and connection to the energy source. The individual bulb may go out as you said, but the source of consciousness is still there.

#15    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,128 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 18 November 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

I'd like to think our consciousness is more like the electricity, the light bulb is our brain and body and the light is our individual ego depending on the color, strength and connection to the energy source. The individual bulb may go out as you said, but the source of consciousness is still there.
That is certainly one view but I can't agree. I think the source of the consciousness is the neural net in the brain itself. When this is broken the light fades away. If the brain is not the source of consciousness, what is?

Also tagged with consciousness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users