Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Russia seeks 'monitor stations' in America

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:59 AM

WASHINGTON — In the view of America’s spy services, the next potential threat from Russia may not come from a nefarious cyberweapon or secrets gleaned from the files of Edward J. Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor now in Moscow.

Instead, this menace may come in the form of a seemingly innocuous dome-topped antenna perched atop an electronics-packed building surrounded by a security fence somewhere in the United States.

In recent months, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Pentagon have been quietly waging a campaign to stop the State Department from allowing Roscosmos, the Russian space agency, to build about half a dozen of these structures, known as monitor stations, on United States soil, several American officials said.

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said.

LINK

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

God forbid that any other nations should be allowed to spy on America.
That's the exclusive right of the NSA.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 17 November 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

God forbid that any other nations should be allowed to spy on America.
That's the exclusive right of the NSA.

We spy on them, they spy on us.

We just shouldn't allow them to set up a potential spy station right in the middle of Main Street USA.

I'm sure the State Department is all for it though.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#4    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Maybe I'm naïve, but it doesn't seem that what is essentially a GPS type monitoring station in remote areas would be used for espionage, but who knows.

I don't know enough of the details, but their GLONASS, the equivalent of our GPS, has been operational for years or decades.  Why do they need this now?

#5    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,282 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

View Postjoc, on 17 November 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

They fear that these structures could help Russia spy on the United States and improve the precision of Russian weaponry, the officials said.

fear. a typical republican canard. The cold war has been over for decades. The Russians are NOT our enemies.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#6    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postninjadude, on 17 November 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

fear. a typical republican canard. The cold war has been over for decades. The Russians are NOT our enemies.
well, it would make perfect sense to gather what intelligence you could by any means you could, I'm sure they each still spy on each other as a matter of routine, even if not to the same extent as in the old days, so I think it doesn't seem at all implausible that they'd be wanting to gather intelligence. However, "fears that it could improve the precision of Russian weaponry" is just scaremongering, isn't it, it would be paranoia if one thought that they did mean it seriously, but it's clearly just another attempt to present another Bogey just in case the Terrorists, N. Korea and Iran aren't sufficient.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,784 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

What a life dude... what's it like being one of God's "special children"?  ;)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#8    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think there are some people that want a war with Russia

#9    Professor T

Professor T

3 of 7

• 2,579 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Meh.. sounds to me like typical US fear-mongering to me..

Let's re-ignite the cold war and make lot's of Ca$h!

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,784 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 17 November 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

If so then they'd be idiots.  Russia isn't interested in friends, it's just like the US.  It's interested in POWER.  They are actively pouring resources into rebuilding what had become a pathetic excuse for a military and they are doing a very good job at it.  Putin wants to return to the "good ole days" and he will if he's allowed room to do so.  As for war - no one wants a nuclear exchange but can you imagine the potential outcome if we stumbled into the situation with he and Obama making the vital go or no go decisions?  Cancel Christmas, baby!

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#11    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 17 November 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Lot of money in it. Fear of War, at any rate. Particularly if you're selling weapons or Surveillance equipment.
:unsure2:

- Philip K. Dick.

#12    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

View Postand then, on 17 November 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

If so then they'd be idiots.  Russia isn't interested in friends, it's just like the US.  It's interested in POWER.  They are actively pouring resources into rebuilding what had become a pathetic excuse for a military and they are doing a very good job at it.  Putin wants to return to the "good ole days" and he will if he's allowed room to do so.  As for war - no one wants a nuclear exchange but can you imagine the potential outcome if we stumbled into the situation with he and Obama making the vital go or no go decisions?  Cancel Christmas, baby!
Like any ruler of any country doesn't put themselves up for office because POWER is what they want?

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 17 November 2013 - 08:58 PM.

- Philip K. Dick.

#13    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:20 AM

The Russians are not our enemies.  True.   The cold war has been over for decades.  True.
But where you miss the larger point my friend.   Communism is our enemy.  Totalitarianism is our enemy.  Statism is our enemy.  And in the mean time, since the cold war ended...Russia has been regrouping, replanning, and yes...the Communist Party is still the only party in Russia.  Russia is on the rise..Puten is on the rise...Communism is on the rise.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#14    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,282 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

View Postjoc, on 18 November 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

...the Communist Party is still the only party in Russia.  Russia is on the rise..Puten is on the rise...Communism is on the rise.

more lies. It is NOT the only party. And so what if "Russia" or Putin is on the "rise"? Why do you hate Russians so much?

According to the Constitution of Russia, the country is a federation and semi-presidential republic, wherein the President is the head of state[88] and the Prime Minister is the head of government. The Russian Federation is fundamentally structured as a multi-party representative democracy, with the federal government composed of three branches:
Leading political parties in Russia include United Russia, the Communist Party, the Liberal Democratic Party of Russia, and A Just Russia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia

Edited by ninjadude, 19 November 2013 - 03:48 AM.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#15    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

I think it just seems to be that there seem to be never enough enemies; as if Al Qaeada and Iran and N. Korea weren't enough, now the Russkies have to be the big bogey again. Whether this is psychological - individuals, and the nation as a whole, have to feel as if they're constantly besieged by enemies - or whether it's simply for pragmatic reasons - the more Enemies America has, the bigger budget all those Security and Intelligence forces get - I suppose is up for the individual to decide. It is very interesting, though, how people seem to believe this unquestioningly, even people who normally wouldn't trust or believe a single thing the current Administration says.

- Philip K. Dick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users