Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Truth Beneath Some Spooky Ghost Stories

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,085 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

As a teenager, Kevin Burns babysat for his sister's daughters — a 6-year-old and a 9-year-old. Throughout the night, he heard a baby crying, but it wasn't the kids, who were sound asleep in their beds.

Read more: http://www.npr.org/2...y-ghost-stories

Edited by Brian Topp, 17 November 2013 - 07:36 PM.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

#2    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

An interesting take on spook stories, and from that bastion of dullness and practicality NPR, no less! (I listen to them all the time; I can say that).

I particularly like--and agree with--the writer's point that ghostly tales often treat themes of injustice, unresolved issues, unrequited love, etc. Many attitudes and opinions within formal, organized religion and individual spirituality seem to focus on similar matters.

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#3    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,323 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

he he he...    My kids said they heard a crying baby sound one night, when I got home they were all freaked out..  I told them it was a spirit of a native child.  I walked round the house just to calm them down, then I hear a Bobcat in love.  Cats make some strange sounds. Kids go nuts.    Did I tell them, nope, I didn't want to spoil the fun.  

Not that I haven't heard and seen some strange things I couldn't explain. I really do love the unknown.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#4    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 17 November 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

he he he... My kids said they heard a crying baby sound one night, when I got home they were all freaked out..  I told them it was a spirit of a native child.  I walked round the house just to calm them down, then I hear a Bobcat in love.  Cats make some strange sounds. Kids go nuts. Did I tell them, nope, I didn't want to spoil the fun.  

Not that I haven't heard and seen some strange things I couldn't explain. I really do love the unknown.

Well I remember getting back from watching The Blair Witch Project when it 1st came out. My parents were away and just as I was dropping off I could hear these wailing/screaming/horrible noise. I totally freaked out and went downstairs so the dog could help protect me. I finally figured out it was cats having some sexy time. I have seen the size of a Bobcat and can only imagine the terrifying noise they must make!

Edited by bulveye, 17 November 2013 - 11:01 PM.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#5    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,085 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:06 AM

When jaws came out in 1975, people were horrified to go into the water. It burned an impression of "something is going to get me". Just like blair witch, paranormal and many other movies over the years.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route to find out what really happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users