Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Moon colonies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: NASA</strong>
Image credit: NASA
William B Stoecker: Having written about colonies in space (huge manned space stations in Earth or solar orbit, with spin-induced gravitation and farms, with plants supplying food and oxygen) and colonies floating on the sea, I think it is now time to consider the viability of colonies on Earth’s Moon. It will be difficult and prohibitively expensive to develop and support such colonies using conventional rocket technology to convey colonists and building materials to our Moon, so we will probably have to wait for more advanced propulsion systems.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,202 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

The best type of luner base would be buried.  That would protect from radiation and heat.  It may also protect from most meoter strike, depending on how deep you buried it.

As for two weeks no light, just use sunlamps.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#3    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

View Postdanielost, on 20 November 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

The best type of luner base would be buried.  That would protect from radiation and heat.  It may also protect from most meoter strike, depending on how deep you buried it.

As for two weeks no light, just use sunlamps.

Gotta agree with ya on that one, Daniel. When I first saw those underground bases in the Mass Effect game, it made total sense to me. I was thinking that was a damn good idea, much better than a surface  colony base, at the time I was playing it. Another reason is double protection from flying space debris, even though they may make the walls thick on a surface type base. Still, just gives one peace of mind if it was underground, I think.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#4    Skithia

Skithia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Dammit right up until the last paragraph it seemed a reasonable and well thought out column, then you just had to chuck in structures that are already on the moon and aliens possibly still living there.

#5    TheBoar

TheBoar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

good read but i admit the last bit was a bit to far

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users